• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who are you voting for in the GOP TX gove primary?

• Greg Abbott

Votes: 74 55.6%
    • Allen West

Votes: 41 30.8%
    • Don Huffines

Votes: 13 9.8%
    • Rick Perry

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Paul Belew

• Daniel Harrison

• Kandy Kaye Horne

• Chad Prather

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am voting for West in order to send a message to Abbott. If Abbott wins the primary as expected, his platform will have to consider some of West’s more conservative issues if the race is close enough. If Abbott wins in a rout, he will continue on the same course as before.

Huffines says some of the same things as West, but lacks details and comes across as an emoty bag of wind. West has more substance than Huffines but only Abbott has a proven track record at this level of government.

My objective is to see Abbott back for another term but with a more aggressive pro-right platform. Together, Abbott and DeSantis carry a lot of influence with conservative Americans, something that a new governor like West would have to build from the ground up.

I don’t include race in the equation because only Democrats play the race card

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I am voting for West in order to send a message to Abbott. If Abbott wins the primary as expected, his platform will have to consider some of West’s more conservative issues if the race is close enough. If Abbott wins in a rout, he will continue on the same course as before.

Huffines says some of the same things as West, but lacks details and comes across as an emoty bag of wind. West has more substance than Huffines but only Abbott has a proven track record at this level of government.

My objective is to see Abbott back for another term but with a more aggressive pro-right platform. Together, Abbott and DeSantis carry a lot of influence with conservative Americans, something that a new governor like West would have to build from the ground up.

I don’t include race in the equation because only Democrats play the race card
    I have been a strident republican voter for quite some time, but if nothing else, these past couple years have soured my point of view on the republican party.

Of course I will vote republican, because the democrats seem hellbent on destroying America.

I would like to vote libertarian, but I don't believe there is much chance in that direction.

If I had my way I believe all of the politicians should be canned, because there needs to be a message that every politician is there to serve the people, not there hold on a position.

But it seems my choices are 'destruction of the land I love', or another 'do as little possible and hand out bandaids for wounds that run deep' politician.

I don't believe any of these candidates will truly follow the legacy left by our founding fathers, I have to decide who won't disregard it completely. None have my set in stone vote yet.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    I feel our current Governor will sway whichever way to political winds blow. I want someone with a history of not just talking about conservative issues, but forwarding them. Alan West is that person for me. He supports school choice and border control. He also has strong leadership qualities and will not be swayed by the left.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I feel our current Governor will sway whichever way to political winds blow. I want someone with a history of not just talking about conservative issues, but forwarding them. Alan West is that person for me. He supports school choice and border control. He also has strong leadership qualities and will not be swayed by the left.

Compromise and nonpartisanship are all a part of successful politics. Just because you disagree with a decision doesn't mean it isn't the correct one for the common good. Closemindedness and the inability to come to agreements with the opposition when necessary only stop the development of society.

Much like Sleep Joe and Trump, West is one of those individuals who believes they are smarter than everyone else and don't listen or even try to work with others.

The School Choice Now Act is a ridiculous concept and ignores the fact that families can already home school. It essentially states teachers unions and school boards aren't smart enough to manage education, and the government will do so. I highly doubt the Republicans will do any better than the Democrats in this regard, and it sounds like another liberal program to waste taxpayer's money! Sorry, if history has taught us anything, the government needs to remove itself from.

And "border control?!?" What do you think Operation Lone Star is about? The Texas Department of Public Safety and other local law enforcement agencies supported by the Texas Military Department have partnered to assist at various points of entry and border crossings to provide law enforcement at the US-Mexico border. Who do you think is leading that effort? Abbott.

Do you really think a guy who tortured an Iraqi police officer based on bad intel (no plans for attacks or weapons were ever found) is going to do a better job of it Doubtful. He later stated "It's possible that I was wrong about Mr. Hamoodi." No shit. Why he wasn't held more accountable over it is no mystery, the Army didn't need another embarrassment and letting him retire was the easiest and quickest way to bury the story; but it doesn't negate the fact he demonstrated poor leadership regardless of the reasons. No matter how much be paints himself for being the hero in that situation, the truth is he showed he didn't belong in command (see next point).

Lastly, claiming West has "strong leadership?" Show me where West has demonstrated any of that trait! I see a lot of talk, but little action which will carry over if he actually becomes governor (which I doubt, his background is too tumultuous!). His "tenure" in the Texas State Guard is another example of how he will promote himself in the public limelight; but when it comes time to actually doing something, he's nowhere to be found! Given the circumstances of his departure from active duty, he should have never been allowed to join that organization; but once again politics won out!

If he is such a shit hot politician, why didn't he get reelected for Florida's 18th (formerly 22nd) Congressional District? Why did he come to Texas after losing? Is he trying to paint himself to be another Davey Crockett?!?

I'm not buying it...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And "border control?!?" What do you think Operation Lone Star is about? The Texas Department of Public Safety and other local law enforcement agencies supported by the Texas Military Department have partnered to assist at various points of entry and border crossings to provide law enforcement at the US-Mexico border. Who do you think is leading that effort? Abbott.
    How many years has Abbott been able to strengthen the Texas/Mexico border? Why did he wait until March of 2021? Knowing people were waiting for Biden to take office, even I could see that. Although the Biden administration exacerbated the problem, it's been a problem for a long time.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    How many years has Abbott been able to strengthen the Texas/Mexico border? Why did he wait until March of 2021? Knowing people were waiting for Biden to take office, even I could see that. Although the Biden administration exacerbated the problem, it's been a problem for a long time.

It's simple, Article IV, Section 4 of the US Constitution guarantees that the Federal government shall protect each state of the Union against invasion.

That is not voluntary, it is a constitutional mandate created to guarantee the protection of all the states in the Union.

Per Article I, Section 10, Clause 3, the states reserve their sovereign authority to act in the protection of their citizens when threatened by “invasion or imminent harm.”

Trump made efforts to strengthen our border with Mexico with his border wall, but on January 20, 2021 newly inaugurated Joe Biden terminated the national emergency and halted construction of the wall, which is why Abbott stepped in.

Reactions: gll

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    And that is how we will end up with Beto as governor! :eek:
    Abbott winning the primary is how we'll end up with Beto as governor.....

....and, if Abbott somehow wins, he'll let the Dems run roughshod over the Legislature just like he has so far.....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It's simple, Article IV, Section 4 of the US Constitution guarantees that the Federal government shall protect each state of the Union against invasion.

That is not voluntary, it is a constitutional mandate created to guarantee the protection of all the states in the Union.

Per Article I, Section 10, Clause 3, the states reserve their sovereign authority to act in the protection of their citizens when threatened by “invasion or imminent harm.”

Trump made efforts to strengthen our border with Mexico with his border wall, but on January 20, 2021 newly inaugurated Joe Biden terminated the national emergency and halted construction of the wall, which is why Abbott stepped in.
    Yes, but a governor of a state has more authority over the state he governs than even a president. A good governor should take control of a problem before it gets out of control. What Abbott did is like waiting to close the barn door after half the livestock got out, and still not latching the other doors.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes, but a governor of a state has more authority over the state he governs than even a president. A good governor should take control of a problem before it gets out of control. What Abbott did is like waiting to close the barn door after half the livestock got out, and still not latching the other doors.

Once again, you're missing the point. The United States' borders are the responsibility of the Federal government, and prior to Biden's arrival, were being addressed by his predecessor. It has absolutely nothing to do with the 10th Amendment unless the Federal government fails to complete its constitutional mandate.

Essentially, Abbott had no reason to act until Biden rescinded Trump's border wall effort and ended the declaration of a national emergency. You are blaming him for Biden's failure, which is simply wrong.

I am sure if Abbott was spending money on something that was the responsibility of the Federal government, Texas taxpayers would have screamed bloody murder about it!

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    It's a fact, plain and simple.

It's well known Allen West was Gerrymandered out in redistricting. Of course you'd know that if you knew a fucking thing about politics besides what you're told to think.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    3E1B6ED7-E38A-4A01-A4D6-E8366264DEA7.png

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Once again, you're missing the point. The United States' borders are the responsibility of the Federal government, and prior to Biden's arrival, were being addressed by his predecessor. It has absolutely nothing to do with the 10th Amendment unless the Federal government fails to complete its constitutional mandate.

Essentially, Abbott had no reason to act until Biden rescinded Trump's border wall effort and ended the declaration of a national emergency. You are blaming him for Biden's failure, which is simply wrong.

I am sure if Abbott was spending money on something that was the responsibility of the Federal government, Texas taxpayers would have screamed bloody murder about it!
    Yes, I blame Abbott. As I said, Abbott actually has more authority over Texas's borders than a president of the U.S., especially during a so called pandemic. The Texas constitution gives him broader authority than even the U.S. constitution gives the president. To deflect from that to being Biden's or Congress's responsibility is BS. Abbott knew it was coming, yet didn't act until long after it became a crises.

Top Bottom