• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Holy Crap!! 20 bucks..... I started not going when it was 10. Too many knives and purses and jewerly! and non related gun stuff.
    You started when it was $10; I remember whenadmission to a gun show was $3.00, back in NY, at some shows. Such a deal but that deal is dead nowadays. And yes $20 is outrageous but then TX is the only state in which I have seen tables at a gun show where they wanted extra money for you to plug into the wall outlet for anything even to charge your phone if you were a dealer. That was at a show I went to in either Dallas or Fort Worth. Heck, if I recall correctly they wanted about $100 per dealer table and that was about 3 or 4 years ago. I pay $60 to $65 per dealer table now in AR and think that is crazy but at least the admission fee for customers is only $10.00.
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

After several experiences, I no longer attend the Gypsy Market Gyp-shows. . . . . .

How ‘bout Y’all go & report back ?

I’ll continue with my LGS & R&M El Campo.

Fake Rolex’, non functional ammo, junk, reject M98’s at triple price, hucksters. . . . .

Been there, dolne with them !

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There's a competing gun show (High Caliber) at the Lone Star Convention Center on the same weekend for $10. Less than 30 minutes apart.

You can go to both of them, see the same caliber of gypsies, thieves, and self-anointed firearms experts, along with every purse, jewelry, eye-glass cleaning, and homemade jerky vendor in SE Texas. Afterwards you can kick yourself in the butt and swear you'll skin yourself alive before you'll ever do that again.

And us old timers will regale you with stories about how we remember when you could go to a gun show and get a couple of vendors competing over the price of a gun so that we ended up with an actual bargain, and how we used to buy bulk ammo there and it was cheap.

If you're at Lone Star, look for my old friend Stan Buzek selling his knives at the back. He makes beautiful knives and has won a number of awards at knife shows.

I like to find those dealers that never look up from playing on their phones and then ask them stupid questions. "Do you have a Glock with a nickel finish all over it?" "I have my granddad's old Luger he got during the war. He said he paid a guy $50 for it. Do you think I could get that much for it if I sell it here?" "My neighbor said he bought a nine-and-a-half caliber pistol here last year. Do you know which table is selling them?" "Can you show me how to make a silencer from a Coke bottle?"
    <>

I resemble. . . . . .

<>

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I did go to the one at Lone Star. Same folks as always. Had a nice time with my friend, the knifemaker. Didn't buy a thing. I overheard some guy talking about going to the Margaritaville show before going to Lone Star. He said it sucked and he shouldn't have believed the signs on 105. I almost bumped into a lady that was holding a baby in a blanket in her arms. I started to apologized and just then realized that it was a baby doll - and a really ugly one at that. A little strange.

Why did I go after maligning it so? With the bad weather heading this way, I figured if I didn't go somewhere and walk around that I'd be stir crazy by mid-week. I didn't see anything worth spending money on, so that was probably for the best. I did see 2 Winchester Model 12s that were interesting. One had the beautiful upgraded wood stocks, but unfortunately someone had cut the stock down by about 5 inches and put on some homemade foam recoil pad. Just makes me sick to see how people will destroy something like that. The other was a really nice version, but didn't have the top graded wood stocks. A bit unusual in that it was Improved Cylinder. They were asking $1250, I think, but I don't need another shotgun.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Since the Market Hall and Big Town shows are over and done,most of the shows I’ve been to have pretty well sucked.
    I have not been to a show near the Dallas or Fort Worth area in about two years. When I did go, I went to a show at Will Rogers Center (do not recall the promoter) and a Big Town show, I think that one was at Mesquite but don't recall for sure if the one in Mesquite as Big Town. Did the folks who ran the Big Town shows go out of business?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Why I quit going to ‘’gun shows’’:

A friend swapped 2 Weatherby rifles w/ Leupold scopes for 2 imitation $10 FAKE ‘’Rolex” watches @ Odessa show.

Another Friend was robbed at gunpoint @ Harlingen show.

I almost bought a seriously damaged Sauer double @ a LA show; the damage had been cleverly concealed.

Then a guy shot himself in the leg with a PPKS @ another LA show. I’ve had Walther’s since a kid, and cannot envision how one could ACCIDENTALLY shoot oneself with one.

leVieux

<>

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I went to a San Antonio show in 2019, where a guy ND himself. Not sure how that happened, but some of the tables said it was a dealer's gun.

I remember that incident at SAXET, never did find out how it happened but there were rumors an anti-gun type may have loaded a firearm for sale at the show.

I wouldn't put it past them.

Either way, I never manipulate a weapon before ensuring it's unloaded first. Common sense.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Everyone here should already be extremely circumspect about allowing any unknown person to handle any firearm.

Every one of us could tell horror stories, I’d bet.

On occasion, I’ve unexpectedly had to hand-over my carry weapon; I always say, ”It is loaded, round in chamber. I’m going to hand you the entire rig, pistol still holstered & secured, pointed straight down to the floor. Is that OK ? Are you ready ?

On those occasions, I’m usually talking to a gunsmith in a gun-shop.

If a LEO asks for weapon, I ask them “Exactly how you want me to do this?”

leVieux

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    <>

A friend swapped 2 Weatherby rifles w/ Leupold scopes for 2 imitation $10 FAKE ‘’Rolex” watches @ Odessa show.

I almost bought a seriously damaged Sauer double @ a LA show; the damage had been cleverly concealed.

Then a guy shot himself in the leg with a PPKS @ another LA show. I’ve had Walther’s since a kid, and cannot envision how one could ACCIDENTALLY shoot oneself with one.

leVieux

<>

A buddy of mine, his brother wanted to fast draw, had a .22 magnum wheel gun in a cowboy holster, he shot through his right leg above the knee and through his left leg below the knee. H never tried that again.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

leVieux

<>
    your friend doesn't sound real smart!

Top Bottom