ARJ Defense ad

Texas LTC test: Can you use a non-magnifying red dot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Folks have posted that they were allowed to use them during LTC qualification.......

If your instructor does.....get another instructor..........legit instructors follow the laws.........

Jedi54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2023
    DFW, Texas
    that's a silly rule to me considering in TX you don't have to qualify every weapon you want listed on your permit. (yes, some states do that)
    in other words, you can shoot the test with any pistol and then carry any pistol. So why make someone shoot it with irons if they're just going to go home and carry with a RDS.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I would imagine their goal is to test you under more difficult options, not the easiest. Should a match-grade .22 with a red-dot be allowed? I think not.

That goal is tempered by reality, and not wanting to make it too onerous. They used to not let you carry an auto if you qualified with a revolver. But you could carry a revolver if you qualified with an auto. They got rid of that. The test is not really difficult. If you can't pass it with iron sights you might need more training. You can even miss all the 15 yard rounds and still pass.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A plus is they actually have at least some knowledge of how to use iron sights..........

Have any of you made your kids use iron sights on rifles before letting move on to a scope for the same reason?

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Anyone know why DPS restricts the use of a red dot sight for the LTC quals?

Don’t make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When things government agencies do start making sense, it’s time to give up.

Most likely cause someone didn’t bother to update the verbiage or cause Dps doesn’t allow for dots on issue guns and the same folks write the important words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The LTC shooting qualification is already a joke, the furthest distance is 15 yards and that's only ten rounds out of 50!

Yes, I do realize unlicensed carry doesn't even require a proficiency test...
    The NRA Pistol Instructor qualification requires 16 out of 20 rounds in 6" at 15 yards on a specified target that has a grid but no real aiming point. Any pistol and red dots OK. People should use what they shoot best. I rented a 9mm 1911 for the LTC and used my High Standard .22 for the instructor qualification. Neither are difficult if one has some experience and an idea of what's easiest for them to shoot.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I would like more information on this clarification. I have not seen it or received it from DPS. On a search I am unable to find DPS documentation of this clarification. If any other LTC instructor could provide further information regarding this, it would be extremely helpful. Not saying it didn't happen, just would like to see the DPS documentation.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    A plus is they actually have at least some knowledge of how to use iron sights..........

Have any of you made your kids use iron sights on rifles before letting move on to a scope for the same reason?

I don't own any scopes. I prefer irons. Plus, the only scopes I could afford would be crap anyway.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here

Yes, kids and grandkids.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom