APOD Firearms

Texas LTC test: Can you use a non-magnifying red dot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    I would imagine the rule is for the convenience of the LTC instructor, eliminating a lot of issues that people new to the equipment may otherwise have which would make it difficult to complete without stopping and remediating something. Like batteries. Or loose mounts.
    Gun Zone Deals

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Anyone know why DPS restricts the use of a red dot sight for the LTC quals?

Don’t make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Note on the proficiency demonstration sheet from RSD (latest update November 2022):
    - Optical enhancers mounted on the pistol that has an ability to magnify or zoom the shooters field of view are not allowed. (Example: scoped sight or attachment that magnifies the target)
    - Optic systems that do not provide any zoom capability but offer a sighting system within the optics are allowed. (Example: red dot or holographic)

That makes more sense to me. RDS are allowed, just not if they have any magnification.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Note on the proficiency demonstration sheet from RSD (latest update November 2022):
    - Optical enhancers mounted on the pistol that has an ability to magnify or zoom the shooters field of view are not allowed. (Example: scoped sight or attachment that magnifies the target)
    - Optic systems that do not provide any zoom capability but offer a sighting system within the optics are allowed. (Example: red dot or holographic)

That makes more sense to me. RDS are allowed, just not if they have any magnification.
    Thanks, important to know...

Where can I find this? Link?

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Thanks, important to know...

Where can I find this? Link?
    That is a good question.
    However, I do not know anymore. I do remember that I was searching heavily a few months ago and eventually found a DPS issued PDF that I saved. This was an excerpt from that. But I never saved the link to the document. I should have. I really should have.
    If you want verification, feel free to call RSD. Depending on you get on the phone, you just might get a straight (and potentially maybe even correct) answer.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    That is a good question.
    However, I do not know anymore. I do remember that I was searching heavily a few months ago and eventually found a DPS issued PDF that I saved. This was an excerpt from that. But I never saved the link to the document. I should have. I really should have.
    If you want verification, feel free to call RSD. Depending on you get on the phone, you just might get a straight (and potentially maybe even correct) answer.

LOL...very true........

Thank you SIr...........

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    This is what the Texas LTC website says: (I don't think a reddot is an optical enhancer as there is no magnification or light enhancement)

Texas License to Carry Handgun Proficiency Demonstration Course of Fire Figure: 37 TAC §6.14(a) The following course of fire is required for proficiency demonstration. To successfully qualify, License to Carry Handgun applicants must complete this course with a minimum score of 70% (175 out of possible 250). Qualified Handgun Instructors must complete this course with a minimum score of 90% (225 out of possible 250).

If any malfunctions are encountered, the shooter must work through the problem and finish the course of fire. If rounds are held (not fired within the allotted time), the shots will be scored as misses.

All courses of fire will be scored on a standard B-27 target. The B-27 target must be 24 inches by 45 inches and may be one of four colors; black, blue, red, or green. The target shall be scored utilizing the 5, 4, 3 scoring diagram in the upper left hand corner.

Optical enhancers are not allowed. Only live ammunition may be used during training and qualification. Target marking cartridges are not permitted.

Stage 1: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 3 yards.
    A. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 2 seconds allowed for each shot.
    B. Ten shots (10) fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence.
    C. Five (5) shots fired in 10 seconds

Stage 2: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 7 yards – fired 5 stages.
    A. Five (5) shots will be fired in 10 seconds
    B. Five (5) shots will be fired in 2 stages:
    1. Two (2) shots will be fired in 4 seconds
    2. Three (3) shots will be fired in 6 seconds
    C. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each shot.
    D. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Stage 3: Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards – fired in two 5-shot strings.
    A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:
    1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.
    2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.
    B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Last edited:

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    …”To successfully qualify, License to Carry Handgun applicants must complete this course with a minimum score of 70% (175 out of possible 250).
    First, I think many TGT’ers could pass this shooting test moderately impaired (that’s not a suggestion to test at the next AXXE GTG. )
    Qualified Handgun Instructors must complete this course with a minimum score of 90% (225 out of possible 250).”
    Second, I would hope any instructor could shoot 250/250. It’s not that hard of a test, at least 4 of the 9 students in this class scored that.

Finally, there are 1.6M LRC holders and 3K instructors in Texas as of last month.
    Accurate shooting is a perishable skill, and would like to see at least a suggestion that LTC holders practice at least once a quarter.
    Oh well my 2 cents.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Stevie Wonder could pass the Texas LTC shooting qualification test.

I have a legally blind god-daughter (about 80-85% blind), and took her to the range about 8 years ago so she could shoot a gun for the first time. She would have easily been able to pass the LTC class and that was her first time shooting.
    05-20140317_184255.jpg
    20140317_182239.jpg

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Beginning September 1, 2021, HB1927 made it legal in Texas for most people 21 or over to carry a handgun in a holster without a permit both openly and/or concealed.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Beginning September 1, 2021, HB1927 made it legal in Texas for most people 21 or over to carry a handgun in a holster without a permit both openly and/or concealed.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
    Welcome. Your technically correct.
    But there are many other benefits to the Texas LTC, including an education of the TX gun carry myths that will promptly get you thrown in jail.
    That and the ability to non-holster carry are easily worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Non-holster carry?
    What about it?
    I carry my LCP .380 in my shorts’ pocket any time I like here in AZ, without wastin’ my beer money on silly liecense.
    How is this different in free state of TX?

Top Bottom