• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    IME, and it’s not a lot, the toughest thing to get is good audio (especially with a budget) and audio can make a huge difference in overall video quality.

After that it’s all about content people want to watch, which can be a matter of trial and error. Then you may find that what people want to watch isn’t really something you enjoy.

Most watched vid I ever posted was the basics of takeoff, flight, landing, and weapons for the BF 109 in a combat simulator. Lots of people had little issues with simple fixes. But I didn’t enjoy making it and never made another like it. But even then the vid only has about 2k views, so not like I’m some kind of viral expert.

The opinion on audio is based on what I enjoy.
    Gun Zone Deals

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    IME, and it’s not a lot, the toughest thing to get is good audio (especially with a budget) and audio can make a huge difference in overall video quality.

After that it’s all about content people want to watch, which can be a matter of trial and error. Then you may find that what people want to watch isn’t really something you enjoy.

Most watched vid I ever posted was the basics of takeoff, flight, landing, and weapons for the BF 109 in a combat simulator. Lots of people had little issues with simple fixes. But I didn’t enjoy making it and never made another like it. But even then the vid only has about 2k views, so not like I’m some kind of viral expert.

The opinion on audio is based on what I enjoy.
    Lots of logic to this. I agree...what lots of people like is usually what I don’t like. I have it in my head I should do as short of clips possible if I’m not providing detailed content.

Yes I have to get good audio. Been looking at Bluetooth mics and a dead cat.

Something new isn’t likely but I’ll try. Adding a new video channel is like another Californian joining tgt. Jk.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lots of logic to this. I agree...what lots of people like is usually what I don’t like. I have it in my head I should do as short of clips possible if I’m not providing detailed content.

Yes I have to get good audio. Been looking at Bluetooth mics and a dead cat.

Something new isn’t likely but I’ll try. Adding a new video channel is like another Californian joining tgt. Jk.

I have a Yeti Nano that isn’t bad. Can do pretty good if properly set up.

I also picked up a Go Mic Mobile that kind of surprised me in terms of quality, but being lower budget wireless it can be prone to cutouts if there is anything (including your body) between the transmitter and receiver. It was used when my son talked with a blacksmith at Scarborough. Very windy that day and only one mic he held between them. Not studio or professional quality, but definitely better than some other options I’ve tried.

The handheld mic is terrible in terms of handling noise. I haven’t experimented with wrapping it in something like moleskin yet. As is, don’t buy it for anything more than a mounted wireless mic (maybe if you want to use it as a boom mic I guess).

You can jump anywhere in this vid for a quick example of what you get with the Go Mic lapel mic out of the box and not time spent on tuning. Worst case really.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What's a rumble chanel?

Its like YouTube, but without Google's overt sensorship, and with a different monitization scheme for content creators.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have a Yeti Nano that isn’t bad. Can do pretty good if properly set up.

I also picked up a Go Mic Mobile that kind of surprised me in terms of quality, but being lower budget wireless it can be prone to cutouts if there is anything (including your body) between the transmitter and receiver. It was used when my son talked with a blacksmith at Scarborough. Very windy that day and only one mic he held between them. Not studio or professional quality, but definitely better than some other options I’ve tried.

The handheld mic is terrible in terms of handling noise. I haven’t experimented with wrapping it in something like moleskin yet. As is, don’t buy it for anything more than a mounted wireless mic (maybe if you want to use it as a boom mic I guess).

You can jump anywhere in this vid for a quick example of what you get with the Go Mic lapel mic out of the box and not time spent on tuning. Worst case really.

That’s not bad at all. Heck man it makes me want to do the machining/gunsmithing idea.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I think I’m just going to do the manufacturing and gunsmithing path. It’s something I’m knowledgeable in and as burned out as I am I still have a passion for not seeing it die.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That’s not bad at all. Heck man it makes me want to do the machining/gunsmithing idea.

It will probably be much better used properly.

I had the 3.5mm monitoring Jack plugged in to the DSLR and turned up the volume to bump up the levels since the mic was so much further from the source than it’s meant to be. Using it at the proper distance and adjusting the gain/reducing output to more natural levels should give much better results. I haven’t tested it yet though. Been busy and haven’t had time to work on a project I wanted to do. If I do before you get going I’ll send you a couple samples.

There is a spot in the vid where it cuts out for about 1 second do to my son having the transmitter in his pocket on the opposite side of his body, but testing at the house with clear LOS we got about 150’ out of it. He hit the tree line on the other side of the street so we couldn’t push it any further. Not a lot of interference to deal with out there so YMMV.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It will probably be much better used properly.

I had the 3.5mm monitoring Jack plugged in to the DSLR and turned up the volume to bump up the levels since the mic was so much further from the source than it’s meant to be. Using it at the proper distance and adjusting the gain/reducing output to more natural levels should give much better results. I haven’t tested it yet though. Been busy and haven’t had time to work on a project I wanted to do. If I do before you get going I’ll send you a couple samples.

There is a spot in the vid where it cuts out for about 1 second do to my son having the transmitter in his pocket on the opposite side of his body, but testing at the house with clear LOS we got about 150’ out of it. He hit the tree line on the other side of the street so we couldn’t push it any further. Not a lot of interference to deal with out there so YMMV.
    Doing manufacturing videos should be less of a hassle. For example: a machine shop will have insane noise levels. Probably easier to add narrative sound later and interview people in better settings.

Doing interviews outside would be challenging. I can only imagine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Doing manufacturing videos should be less of a hassle. For example: a machine shop will have insane noise levels. Probably easier to add narrative sound later and interview people in better settings.

Doing interviews outside would be challenging. I can only imagine.

Outdoors in a quiet environment means you don’t have to deal with your voice bouncing around in a room, which is what usually makes audio sound crappy. But you also have very little control over anything else, lol.

I have hell getting good sound indoors, but I haven’t really invested in fixing that. I’m surrounded by flat walls that just make everything worse.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    ZX,

I don't do the 'quote' thing, I find that annoying (most of the time).

People 'quote' whole pages of a previous post, when a 1 word reply would be adequate.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    MM,

Quoting allows someone to know that a post of theirs has been commented on.

It also allows others to easily see what your response is in reference to.
    Especially if you are responding to a post from the day before.

Evidently you don't care about that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    MM,

Quoting allows someone to know that a post of theirs has been commented on.

It also allows others to easily see what your response is in reference to.
    Especially if you are responding to a post from the day before.

Evidently you don't care about that.

Or they’ve made multiple posts and May have no idea which you are replying to, typically leading to unnecessary arguments based on misunderstandings.

Top Bottom