• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    A buddy of mine who's been shooting a long time and who I usually trust to give good info told me that .380 JHP wasn't effective and that to get any kind of penetration I would have to use FMJ. We're talking about shooting from pocket pistols like the LCP, and obviously I'm talking about self defense. What do y'all think about this?
    Guns International

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sounds like your typical can of worms. I've often thought the same thing if a little pocket pistol was being used, but I have no evidence to back up that statement, and the wife uses Speer Gold Dots when she carries her little 380 (ball in the spare mag just in case).

I've heard a 1911 smith talk about how inadequate a 9mm is, and how if you're not shooting a .45, then at least shoot a .40. Then 20 min later I've heard him say how effective a .380 can be with the ammunition they have available today (I can only assume they don't produce this magical ammo in 9mm)

I would guess that if you just stick to the basics, that shot placement will play a much bigger role in effectiveness in 99% of the circumstances than the type of bullet you use, but I still love to read others opinions on this. I had trouble finding enough data on how a .380 actually performs out of such a short barrel (slow internet connection). Hopefully one of these .380 threads will provide links with said data.

jd81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Fort Worth
    Your friend may be right, may be wrong. But think about it logically, if you draw and fire in a panic and HIT what you are aiming for I highly doubt the individual you are shooting at is gonna care be cause he's being SHOT AT. I don't think that comparison really holds water when your talking about using the weapon in a setting that requires you to utilize your chl rights. Hunting or something like that, sure, but shoot your friend with the jhp and then with the fmj, ask him what he thinks then lol. Quick google search showed .380 jhp's are around 1000 fps and 200lbs energy, fmj's around 900 fps and 190lbs energy.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A buddy of mine who's been shooting a long time and who I usually trust to give good info told me that .380 JHP wasn't effective and that to get any kind of penetration I would have to use FMJ. We're talking about shooting from pocket pistols like the LCP, and obviously I'm talking about self defense. What do y'all think about this?

Carry hollow points, and ignore the uneducated.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Here is a little .380 jewel that worked pretty well for Gavrilo Princip.
    Ferdinand-Pistol_998344c.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Your friend may be right, may be wrong. But think about it logically, if you draw and fire in a panic and HIT what you are aiming for I highly doubt the individual you are shooting at is gonna care be cause he's being SHOT AT. I don't think that comparison really holds water when your talking about using the weapon in a setting that requires you to utilize your chl rights. Hunting or something like that, sure, but shoot your friend with the jhp and then with the fmj, ask him what he thinks then lol. Quick google search showed .380 jhp's are around 1000 fps and 200lbs energy, fmj's around 900 fps and 190lbs energy.

When I had a .380 I kept FMJ in it because I didn't find any JHP ammo that I felt tested adequately in the FBI testing.

The energy comparison can be mis leading because the FMJ requires less energy(momentum) to achieve adequate penetration than an expanded JHP. I looked at the information I had and decided that FMJ was the right choice for me. I don't believe it would suffer the same over penetration problems that the 9mm and larger calibers have. On the flip side, premium FMJ .380 ammunition is harder to find so there is more chance of a misfire.

Bottom line, do your own research and decide what is best for you based on the FBI testing and whatever other information you can find.

My opinion, along with most others should be taken with a grain of salt.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I like the Taurus TCP..200 bucks at academy. Easy to shoot and clean. 380 is a defensive gun, but I'd rather have the 380 in my back pocket vs. nothing.

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    sorry for second post. BUT i do believe in shot placement and quality ammo. My first gun was a 380 bersa. i was mocked for by my little brother because he was the whole 45 or nothing. So did my best friend of 24 yrs.(im 25) anyways they said it was a baby gun etc etc until they shot some stuff with it and was surprised at how accurate and fast they could regain on target. Showed them some ballistics (youtube and other places) Both loved it afterwards. "Good alternative for something small,accurate and easily concealable." Especially when it gets to hell temperature here in TX. So yes i do believe gun can still be a VERY good choice as a carry. Just for a little more power i have my 40 now. But lately i have actually been carrying my 380.. so small :)

Throat Punch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Waxahachie, TX
    I pocket carry a kel-tec .380 loaded with Speer Gold Dot while at work. I trust the load and have ran many rounds through it to ensure reliability. Alot of people get caught up with choosing an expensive designer round & don't spend the money to test reliability at the range. It doesn't matter the gun, bullet, or caliber if it dooesn't go bang every time.

T.P.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Resurrecting a zombie thread here, but hopefully because I have some relevant info to the topic at hand. I've recently been conducting a lot of ammo tests on the Taurus TCP, trying to find the elusive, mystical, ideal hollowpoint round that will penetrate "enough" but not overpenetrate, and once enough penetration has been achieved, it will also expand as large as possible.

I've been posting the videos to my Youtube channel (ShootingTheBull410). So far I've tested Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, Remington UMC, Winchester Ranger-T, Winchester PDX1, and Federal Hydra-Shok; I also have a box of HPR's for my next round of tests, and have ordered DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, and Hornady Critical Defense (but man, those are tough to locate, they're on backorder everywhere!)

My testing is a little different than those I've seen done so far; normally it seems like all the tests I can find use only one shot -- and to me, that's not enough to get a good representative idea of performance, as any individual shot can actually vary quite a bit from the next. I use five shots, which is what the FBI does, as it's all you can reasonably fit in a block of ballistic gel.

To those interested, here's a link to the first video; you can click my other videos or search for "Ammo Quest" to find the rest. Hope some of you find it helpful!

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Hornady's Critical Defense in .380 looked pretty promising. 11.5 inches of penetration, good, controlled expansion and low muzzle flash.

Last edited:

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    I just wish I could find some! I thought I had, ordered four boxes "in stock", and then guess what -- backordered... sigh.

Any TGTers in the NW Houston-ish area (Woodlands/Spring) wanting to unload a box, I'll be glad to buy it from you...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Resurrecting a zombie thread here, but hopefully because I have some relevant info to the topic at hand. I've recently been conducting a lot of ammo tests on the Taurus TCP, trying to find the elusive, mystical, ideal hollowpoint round that will penetrate "enough" but not overpenetrate, and once enough penetration has been achieved, it will also expand as large as possible.

I've been posting the videos to my Youtube channel (ShootingTheBull410). So far I've tested Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, Remington UMC, Winchester Ranger-T, Winchester PDX1, and Federal Hydra-Shok; I also have a box of HPR's for my next round of tests, and have ordered DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, and Hornady Critical Defense (but man, those are tough to locate, they're on backorder everywhere!)

My testing is a little different than those I've seen done so far; normally it seems like all the tests I can find use only one shot -- and to me, that's not enough to get a good representative idea of performance, as any individual shot can actually vary quite a bit from the next. I use five shots, which is what the FBI does, as it's all you can reasonably fit in a block of ballistic gel.

To those interested, here's a link to the first video; you can click my other videos or search for "Ammo Quest" to find the rest. Hope some of you find it helpful!

Wow! Excellent video, and kudos for using a good test protocol and standard!!

I only just watched that one, but do you have a video explaining the reasoning behind the FBI standards, and gelatin testing? I imagine there are a lot of mouth breathers on Youtube who probably blast you for your content.

FWIW, ignore them. That video is good stuff!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So if I saw all the videos currently on the .380 ammo and TCP, none of the ammo you've tested thus far is optimum.....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hornady CD is what we are running in the .380s. They feed reliably too, which seems to be one of the more critical factors running JHP .380.

StB, thanks for the vid and heads up on the others. Will have a look at them.

The Speer Gold Dots looked like they performed pretty well.

Top Bottom