• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm pretty sure we signed at least one treaty with Ukraine saying we'd help defend them if they gave up their nukes.

And it's in our best interest to defend Ukraine. Russia doesn't want NATO states on its borders.

You know who's right next to Ukraine? Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Hungary. All NATO states. I'm sure Russia would be very happy with them on its borders
    "Lets invade/annex Ukraine to keep NATO away from our border"

They've added 5 to 6 depending on how you want to look at it... clearly keep NATO away was never their goal.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    "Lets invade/annex Ukraine to keep NATO away from our border"

They've added 5 to 6 depending on how you want to look at it... clearly keep NATO away was never their goal.

Russia likes to project. If they get it in their head that a neighbor might be thinking about talking to the west, they'll invade.

They did it to Afghanistan, they did it to Georgia, they're doing it to Ukraine.

They kinda did it to Chechnya, but that was more of an attempt to keep their satellites in line

Dakar34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    Houston
    Given that Russia is in no way shape or form a conventional military competitor or threat to the USA, one might wonder what real advantage or benefit we get from all this in Ukraine. I personally can think of a couple:
    1) It furthers globalism and the economic dominance of western global corporations;
    2) Most of the US dollars allocated actually go to the US military industrial complex.

Certainly there could be others, but these two are significant benefits for certain important US players.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    First: i dont like taxes any more than anyone else, but taxes are not theft and nothing was stolen from you.

Just because Ukraine didnt consult you on their plan to fight russia doesn't mean they dont have a plan to work towards victory. They have been forced, because of a number of ignorant people, to fight with severe shortages and preserve life and equipment by slow withdrawal in some regions.
    More spreading of doubt without any supporting evidence. Its just not reasonable to believe a waring military will freely put out their strategy for victory, in fact it is absurd to think they would.

Lets talk about the russian navy. By raw number of vessels russia appears about equal to the USA with about equal numbers of vessels depending on what is included in the lists BUT

By tonnage russia is less than 1/3 the size of the US NAVY by most lists

The russian navy includes only 1 carrier

The ability of the russian navy to stop surface attacks appears to be POOR

The ability of the russian navy to stop missiles appears to be POOR

In short the survivability of russian naval ships is POOR, they have suffered from poor maintenance, poor training and poor counter-measures for decades and even if their surface fleet could inflict 1:1 losses the US NAVY would remain the most powerful navy in the world.

I dont know of any reliable source claiming russia would be running out of equipment "anyday now" more lies and misinformation to cloud the discussion from you. Twisting words has been used to deceive since the serpent asked Eve if God had really told her not to eat any fruit in the garden...

What folks have pointed out is the increasing use of older equipment (bmp-1s for example) and satellite image counts of depots show that russia has about another 2-years at the current loss rate before they run out of most of their equipment (assuming it isnt rusted/pilaged beyond repair). If production was in excess of losses, one would expect to see more and newer equipment on the front and that isnt the case, the quantity of new/first-tier equipment has shrunk to about 5% of losses while older and older equipment makes up more and more of the losses.

Losing is different that failing. I tend to use failing, but losing is a fair word too.

By any metric you choose, russia is not succeeding in their 3-day special military operation... sq miles seized since 2022? Maybe... but then you would need to ask why they couldn't hold their positions around Kyiv and Kharkiv...

russia's stated goal wass a 3-day blitz across Ukraine capturing Kyiv and they didn't succeed, so the then the assault failed its objective.It doesnt mean they lost, except for that battle.
    Even if the russians can gain ground (at an enormous cost of men and equipment) they still are failing in the larger objective and their small success may come at a cost that does cause them to lose and withdrawal over the 2014 border.

It’s not just that they didn’t consult me. If we are supplying them with equipment and money, a non corrupt government that actually cared about trying to help Ukraine win, as well as our best interest would want to know exactly how our money and equipment is going to help them, but the opposite is what is happening. we just send stuff with little thought process as long as we are spending the money. that problem isn’t specific to Ukraine though.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I'm pretty sure we signed at least one treaty with Ukraine saying we'd help defend them if they gave up their nukes.

And it's in our best interest to defend Ukraine. Russia doesn't want NATO states on its borders.

You know who's right next to Ukraine? Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Hungary. All NATO states. I'm sure Russia would be very happy with them on its borders
    Russia already has several nato countries on its border and would have more nato countries on its border with control of Ukraine.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    All the while pushing Moscow further away and from European nations and range of missle and aircraft attacks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Given that Russia is in no way shape or form a conventional military competitor or threat to the USA, one might wonder what real advantage or benefit we get from all this in Ukraine. I personally can think of a couple:
    1) It furthers globalism and the economic dominance of western global corporations;
    2) Most of the US dollars allocated actually go to the US military industrial complex.

Certainly there could be others, but these two are significant benefits for certain important US players.

The benefit is doing the right thing.

As I have said before, if a neighbor down the street has their house broken into by some men with guns and I can hear the family screaming as they are being assaulted, begging for help and the husband is at my door asking for a gun and some ammo I will take the things that my family's money purchased and hand over absolutely as much as I can to him as well as go myself to fucking destroy those that violated the sovereignty of that family's house. It wouldn't matter that those either those burglarizing or the family were "good church folk" or some gangsters, the house is theirs and no one has the right to enter it uninvited without just cause.

If you could stand by and watch someone get beaten on the street and excuse it by saying, "well, he wouldn't have been beaten if he hadnt tried to ask the police for help when they robbed him" then just step around them, I can see why you might not want to support Ukraine...

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015

I'm curious to see in a parallel universe what things would look like if we didn't make this treaty and Ukraine nuked Russia. Not say one is right or wrong. I just like considering interesting scenarios.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It’s not just that they didn’t consult me. If we are supplying them with equipment and money, a non corrupt government that actually cared about trying to help Ukraine win, as well as our best interest would want to know exactly how our money and equipment is going to help them, but the opposite is what is happening. we just send stuff with little thought process as long as we are spending the money. that problem isn’t specific to Ukraine though.
    You don't know what was discussed.
    Youre chiding in ignorance...

I'm sure you'd have been complaining about lend-lease and whether it made England a proxy and what their plan for victory was... They didnt tell you where Overlord was landing! I'm shocked I tell you!

Its hard to make a plan until you know what youre getting. Its like asking you "what's the plan for dinner" but you don't know what groceries your gal is bringing home yet.

I don't "KNOW" anything was discussed, but it is a general's job to have plans and make plans and I dont doubt that once they see what they are getting, they can make an effective plan, just like a chef could if you set a bag a random groceries in front of them.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm curious to see in a parallel universe what things would look like if we didn't make this treaty and Ukraine nuked Russia. Not say one is right or wrong. I just like considering interesting scenarios.

I don't think russia would have invaded.

Its kind of like the consternation among the left with CCL, LTC and CC, it doesn't turn into the wild west where people are getting guns drawn on them or get shot for every perceived slight. It deters criminals from easy targets and gives a tool to use to protect innocent others.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I don't think russia would have invaded.

Its kind of like the consternation among the left with CCL, LTC and CC, it doesn't turn into the wild west where people are getting guns drawn on them or get shot for every perceived slight. It deters criminals from easy targets and gives a tool to use to protect innocent others.

Maybe we should allow other countries to defend themselves so we dont have to get wrapped up in things like this. Easy to say in retrospect. Hopefully, we learn a lesson from this.

Dakar34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    Houston
    The benefit is doing the right thing.

As I have said before, if a neighbor down the street has their house broken into by some men with guns and I can hear the family screaming as they are being assaulted, begging for help and the husband is at my door asking for a gun and some ammo I will take the things that my family's money purchased and hand over absolutely as much as I can to him as well as go myself to fucking destroy those that violated the sovereignty of that family's house. It wouldn't matter that those either those burglarizing or the family were "good church folk" or some gangsters, the house is theirs and no one has the right to enter it uninvited without just cause.

If you could stand by and watch someone get beaten on the street and excuse it by saying, "well, he wouldn't have been beaten if he hadnt tried to ask the police for help when they robbed him" then just step around them, I can see why you might not want to support Ukraine...

We fail to do the right thing - or do the wrong thing - all the time. So then you have to ask "Why this country?"
    Usually it's because resources or something else we want hangs in the balance.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Why don't you ask Putin instead of me?
    Really don't understand anything about strategic defense/offense? Or even power hungry maniacal despots?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    No, I understand. I wasn’t asking because I needed to know. I was asking to get your reply. Going back a few pages in this thread turns up a discussion where another member here was insisting that nato is not a threat to Russia, and I was saying that Russia doesn’t necessarily perceive it that way. I have also been told that the US/NATO has not provoked Russia. A neat little feature about this forum is that I can see that you “liked” those comments arguing against me. Now, here you are talking about why it’s strategic for Russia to have more of a gap between Moscow and NATO/EU countries due to threats they pose.

If yall could get your narratives straight rather than just arguing against anything that is said by people who don’t support funding the proxy war, that would be great.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Maybe we should allow other countries to defend themselves so we dont have to get wrapped up in things like this. Easy to say in retrospect. Hopefully, we learn a lesson from this.

We should, but we probably won’t. we’ve committed to providing a lot of protection around the world. I highly doubt countries like Russia, China, n Korea, and Iran are unaware of this, or haven’t considered our ability to follow through on it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom