• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    When I got a notice from Norma a year ago that they were having a sale on their 7.62x39, I grabbed a 1000 rds.
    Just finished building my AR in that caliber in the last few weeks, and just started breaking the barrel in, using the Norma.
    Expected, and had a few issues with extraction, last round hold open, but wasn't concerned. Knew I was going to have to play with buffer weights, and gas settings, maybe even with buffer springs, so it didn't bother me.

Today took it out again, to dial in the scope, and had all the spare parts with me to adjust things, but I could not shake the ejection issue.
    In fact, sometimes it was a real pain getting the bolt to open, even with an unfired round in the chamber.
    I'm using an X-Caliber barrel, that they head spaced to a Rubber City bolt.

Had already massaged the extractor when I found the outer corners were gouging the brass, so that wasn't an issue any more.
    Things were pointing at being too tight in the head spacing.
    Was about to loosening that up, when #1 son asked if I had tried any of my other 7.62x39. I had not...
    So went and grabbed IMI, Hansen, East German, Chinese, Iraqi, Winchester, and Hornady Black.

It all ejected just fine!
    Glad I didn't start grinding on the damn bolt to loosen up the head space.

Anyway, calling Norma tomorrow to see what they want to do about it.
    Hopefully they will pick this stuff up, and send another case.
    It might work fine is some old, clapped-out AK, or SKS, but it should not have had this issue in a new, quality, US built rifle.
    Venture Surplus ad

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    LoL, yeah, been seeing different issues on-line, but not this one.
    When I called them this morning, got all sorts of denials, but they do want me to send in pictures, s/o & lot numbers, so there may be hope yet.
    This has completely took my blind faith in Norma away.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Norma had some type of recall not long ago on 7.62x39.
    The only thing I can find on a Norma recall was for 7.62x51, nothing for the russian round.
    Did find a post about someone complaining about primers dislodging, but that is also a sign of too much head space.
    Others saying that it wasn't very accurate, but then again, was it the rifle, or the ammo?

Pictures coming as soon as I load them up in PhotoBucket.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    20230707_162616.jpg

20230707_162605.jpg

20230707_162716.jpg

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Haven't picked up a case gauge yet, because I have not started reloading this caliber.
    Was looking at a Lyman one today that I may grab.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Norma sent a pre-paid Fed-Ex tag to return the ammo in question, and my case gauge will be here today, so before the ammo gets shipped back, I will go through the lot, and see for myself.

They haven't admitted to anything yet.
    If there was an issue with that batch, hopefully it has already been corrected, and they just send another case.
    If they just refund, I'm not sure what will replace it, prices have been going up, even russian steel case is a half a buck a round now (that is what the Norma cost me last year).

Anyone tried the Belom, or Igamn brass cased ammo, maybe Sellier & Belliot or PPU?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The only thing I can find on a Norma recall was for 7.62x51, nothing for the russian round.
    Did find a post about someone complaining about primers dislodging, but that is also a sign of too much head space.
    Others saying that it wasn't very accurate, but then again, was it the rifle, or the ammo?

Pictures coming as soon as I load them up in PhotoBucket.
    You are correct. My memory was off. It was .308, not 7.62x39.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    When I got a notice from Norma a year ago that they were having a sale on their 7.62x39, I grabbed a 1000 rds.
    Just finished building my AR in that caliber in the last few weeks, and just started breaking the barrel in, using the Norma.
    Expected, and had a few issues with extraction, last round hold open, but wasn't concerned. Knew I was going to have to play with buffer weights, and gas settings, maybe even with buffer springs, so it didn't bother me.

Today took it out again, to dial in the scope, and had all the spare parts with me to adjust things, but I could not shake the ejection issue.
    In fact, sometimes it was a real pain getting the bolt to open, even with an unfired round in the chamber.
    I'm using an X-Caliber barrel, that they head spaced to a Rubber City bolt.

Had already massaged the extractor when I found the outer corners were gouging the brass, so that wasn't an issue any more.
    Things were pointing at being too tight in the head spacing.
    Was about to loosening that up, when #1 son asked if I had tried any of my other 7.62x39. I had not...
    So went and grabbed IMI, Hansen, East German, Chinese, Iraqi, Winchester, and Hornady Black.

It all ejected just fine!
    Glad I didn't start grinding on the damn bolt to loosen up the head space.

Anyway, calling Norma tomorrow to see what they want to do about it.
    Hopefully they will pick this stuff up, and send another case.
    It might work fine is some old, clapped-out AK, or SKS, but it should not have had this issue in a new, quality, US built rifle.
    Curse you to hell. Funky norma ammo sounds so muck like funky cold medina that I got that song stuck in my head.

Here's a little pay back. It's pay day boys come and get it.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Yeah, no thanks, I think not...
    Have had Ted Nugent's 'Fred Bear' stuck in my head for the past week, and kind of enjoying it.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Case gauge just hit the door, and this Norma is .0115" over the max length.
    No wonder it was freezing to bolt up!

Wonder how much I stressed my bolt by running 30 rounds through the weapon?
    7.62x39 bolts are probably the weakest of all small frame AR bolts due to the large rim diameter of the round.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Norma sent a pre-paid Fed-Ex tag to return the ammo in question, and my case gauge will be here today, so before the ammo gets shipped back, I will go through the lot, and see for myself.

They haven't admitted to anything yet.
    If there was an issue with that batch, hopefully it has already been corrected, and they just send another case.
    If they just refund, I'm not sure what will replace it, prices have been going up, even russian steel case is a half a buck a round now (that is what the Norma cost me last year).

Anyone tried the Belom, or Igamn brass cased ammo, maybe Sellier & Belliot or PPU?
    Ive shot all of the above, especially ppu and s&b. My experience with belom was maybe like 200 rounds of 9mm, I've shot a large amount of igman 5.56.

All are good, ppu is the only .30-06 i shoot, and they at one point made some of the best, most accurate 5.56 I've ever shot. S&B is good, but ime it's not super accurate, and if you're looking at reloading it, the brass is a little soft

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Why not get an AK?
    Eli

To answer your question, for the same reason I don't own a black powder blunderbuss, or a Mini-30.
    I would like to hit the broad side of a barn door.

Besides, would an AK function with ammo that is that far out of spec.?
    All my East German, Chinese, Russian, and Iraqi ammo is the correct length, and feeds just fine in my AR.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Well, learned today that Norma Ammunition Sucks!
    Tomorrow would have been a week since they received that out of spec ammo back, and I hadn't heard from them, so I called.
    After an hour, they called back, and told me that they were going to refund the purchase price.

I asked why they were not just going to replace it, and was told that it was up to their standards.
    Wasn't going to argue with them about 'their' standards, even though 'their' standards are not up to the Russian, Chinese, Iraqi, Israeli, or any US manufacture's standards, all of which chambers just fine in my AR. If they want to put out crap ammo, that is their problem.
    And to think, they are building a plant here in the US.
    Guess I should have asked them if any of that will be up to turd-world standards, or to 'their' standards.

You've been warned...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom