• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I need an upper and lower receiver set for a new build. I have rail and barrel already.

Compass Lake Engineering decided to scale back their business and let folks know a few weeks ago. I’d always wanted one of their barrels and when they posted that, I messaged them asking about a barrel if they had any left when they finished their orders in que. They got back with me a week or so later and let me know he had one close to what I wanted. It’s a 22” Kreiger with the hybrid Wylde/CLE chamber, .936 gas block, bead blasted finish and had him match a bolt to it.

I already have a rail I like that is 17.75” which will look good with the LONG barrel.

What receivers?
    Guns International

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Re word the thread title to what are your favorite upper and lower receivers and you will get pages of replies......

Wilson Combat, CMMG etc. , Stay far away from cheapish receivers, IMHO.....

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Re word the thread title to what are your favorite upper and lower receivers and you will get pages of replies......

Wilson Combat, CMMG etc. , Stay far away from cheapish receivers, IMHO.....
    Yes sir, I’ve built plenty of these, definitely looking for tier one type stuff.

LaRue would be nice but his prices recently went WAY up.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I have an older Aero set, but if I were to build one today, it'd be made by TGT's new sponsors: ARJ Defense. They look mighty sharp.

He runs 20% off sales regularly.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    For upper, a Gibbz G4 left hand eject, side charger. Lower, I like the Aero M4E1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I ordered a 'Teir 1' buffer tube once, a V-Seven.
    Got it in, looked fantastic.
    Tried to drop a buffer into it, and it got stuck halfway down.
    Spent the next day opening the bore up.
    Sent e-mail to V-Seven, they never replied...
    Bought an Elffmann trigger, with claims like Zero Creep, Breaks Like Glass, Sets off Hard Mil-Surp Primers, etc., which all turned out to be bull s#it.
    Sent it back, they returned it with new parts in it, and all they accomplished was to make it worse. They sent replacement springs, replacement bearings, still wasn't a $240 trigger.

Moral of the story, no matter what name brand, or how much you spend, you still get bad s#it in this industry.
    The Anderson lower I bought for my AR47 fits great.
    The 'All Things AR' uppers I bought for it, and my AR45, also fit great, but they look to be gone now.

If it makes you feel better, buy the most expensive set you can find,
    but it doesn't mean they will fit together nicely, or your barrel won't rattle around in the upper, or even all the holes are the correct size, or even in the right position.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    This is not my first build and I have parts from some of the brands you mentioned and no major problems, nor with almost any brand I have used. This build needs something really nice to compliment the barrel.

To be honest though @Gordo a Bear Creek or Anderson set would be hilarious when the barrel is making little single holes. (With someone not me shooting it. :laughing: )

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have used PSA before, but the only two high end lowers I have used are Aero and Spikes. Had zero issues with all of them. Anderson lower has been my only problem child.

The Spikes seems like its beefier?

Always wanted to buy a Black Rain set but never did.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    INdiana Gun Owners, (INGO) , the sister site to Texas Gun Talk, had their own made.

92E6E26C-AFEC-4317-A9E9-2F6D1737206E.png

It’s hard not to love personal. These two were for my kids Christmas in 2015, just before Hillary was going to ruin our lives.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've built several with Aero parts and had plenty of PSA and other lowers. Luckily never had anything out of spec. Since I'm a huge cheapskate Aero is my ceiling. I do like a little personalization so I bought a trio of these. Just keeping it native with the CMC trigger too. This white oak upper had been sitting around for over 2 years collecting dust. Looking forward to seeing what it's capable of soon.

There are several one offs that have caught my eye over the years. I might spring for a billet set one day. Neighbors kid worked for a builder and LMT was their go to.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_215249989.jpg
      IMG_20240223_215249989.jpg
      263.7 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_20240223_215257262.jpg
      IMG_20240223_215257262.jpg
      196 KB · Views: 15

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yes, for shooters: Aero is best bang/buck. I think he wants to go more Gucci for that Krieger barrel.
    It's all in what one has in their pocket when the decision is made. The Colt M4 carbine I order is going to get the Colt Sub Compact Weapon stock.

I don't want to alter my M16A2 gun from factory & the stock set deserves a Colt marked receiver that I'll be SBRing more then likely. Putting that stock on anything other then a Colt is non productive. once it's SBRed I'll buy a Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel. The upper is currently with a 16 inch barrel.

Top Bottom