• ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Did you read my original post?

I just bought a Compass Lake Engineering barrel and headspaced bolt. That’s pretty crazy money.

I’ve built many AR’s, this one will be absolutely better than I can shoot.
    Yes, I sure did.
    My reply was not necessarily directed to you. You will notice that unlike this post, I did not quote you in my previous post(s).
    Lynx Defense

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Good call on Seekins, didn’t think about them.
    I'm a fan of the billet Seekins lowers. Is it worth an extra $200 in features over an Anderson lower? Probably not. But does come with ambitious bolt release, built in trigger guard, and looks damn nice.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    So forged or billet (or poly for uberlight) is the real starting point, then go to features from there.

Anybody have hi-round count billet care to chime-in on long term durability? Any holes egging or such?

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I've built several on Rock River Arms uppers and whatever brand name lowers were available. I don't recommend $30 Anderson lowers, but I have used them without any problems. The companies that marketed some of the lowers that I've built on (and still have) have since gone out of business, but the lower soldiers on.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I usually go with Aero, PSA, Colt etc., never had any issues. If on the other hand you're looking for something really unique then consider SLR Rifle Works, I use their hand guards and accessories. Their machine work is second to one, I'm talking zero tool marks. I love nice machine work!

Thinking about building a 308 using their upper and lower set.
    https://slrrifleworks.com/slr-b30-ambi-billet-receiver-set/

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    For the money, Expo Arms lowers are very hard to beat, since they're made by Zev. Primary Arms did extremely good work picking the mfgrs for their in-house brand offerings.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I need an upper and lower receiver set for a new build. I have rail and barrel already.

Compass Lake Engineering decided to scale back their business and let folks know a few weeks ago. I’d always wanted one of their barrels and when they posted that, I messaged them asking about a barrel if they had any left when they finished their orders in que. They got back with me a week or so later and let me know he had one close to what I wanted. It’s a 22” Kreiger with the hybrid Wylde/CLE chamber, .936 gas block, bead blasted finish and had him match a bolt to it.

I already have a rail I like that is 17.75” which will look good with the LONG barrel.

What receivers?
    I shoot my run-and-guns on a Rock River and a PSA. One is a pistol, one a pinned and welded rifle and both are impeccably reliable and accurate in rain, dirt, mud and even after swimming with them going through ponds.

I'm sure more expensive ARs are "nicer" but a good trigger, bolt/BCG and barrel is all you need for 99% of actual performance and reliability.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    2 of my favorites

20240229_125404.jpg
    20240229_125247.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant