Patriot Mobile

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Eotech glass? They are new to the market, relatively.
    Look, feel and act much like the Trijicon scopes to my hand and eye.

Reloading...what I'm about to do today.
    A buddy needed some empty .338 Lapua brass so I obliged him by shooting about 30 rounds ten days ago.
    He has them prepped.
    Gonna load them later tonight.

Those big cased sure eat up a pound of Retumbo quickly!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Eotech are l.o.w. built in Japan. Much like the bushnell elite line, nightforce lower stuff and a few other scopes. They build a good product imo.

Only eotech I messed with much was a first run and I wasn't overly impressed with the turret feel or the reticle options (newer reticle option are better) but those are more subjective to the user.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you find any Retumbo laying around please pass along where.

Bought 8lbs in early 2017.
    Half used up.
    Did not know it's backordered everywhere until your post!

I'll savor it's sweet hot vapors as they waft down range!

My Sako TRG really really likes 88 grains behind 300gr Sierra match.
    Not terribly "hot" but terribly accurate. 3/4 high, 1 1/4 wide at 200 at Dietz last April outing.

I'd best use it sparingly.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Rumor on the street is that Hodgdon pulled it to reformulate it for the 6.5 Creedmoor and ran into problems with the chemistry. So if they're successful, it won't be worth a damn for the big cases any longer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Rumor on the street is that Hodgdon pulled it to reformulate it for the 6.5 Creedmoor and ran into problems with the chemistry. So if they're successful, it won't be worth a damn for the big cases any longer.

That seems like an illogical solution for Hodgdon.

It would require changing burn rates among other things which would create a major issue with load data being dependent on print date as well as powder by manufacture date. Cross in the wrong direction and they would have lawyers calling.

I don’t have any evidence to support it, but my guess would be that it’s either simply waiting for it’s turn for a run from the manufacturer or there is an issue at the factory in whichever country it’s manufactured causing the delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That seems like an illogical solution for Hodgdon.

It would require changing burn rates among other things which would create a major issue with load data being dependent on print date as well as powder by manufacture date. Cross in the wrong direction and they would have lawyers calling.

I don’t have any evidence to support it, but my guess would be that it’s either simply waiting for it’s turn for a run from the manufacturer or there is an issue at the factory in whichever country it’s manufactured causing the delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I was thinking. A major change without changing the name is a bad idea.

Some powders have always had a poor showing with availability so I avoid them. Retumbo is one of them.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I still don't understand how bore diameter-burn speed-case capacity all factor into powder choice but I have a feeling hodgdon would be able to figure these things out pretty quick and either develop data with the existing formula or rule it out as a candidate. I'm sure anyone with that software program could figure it out quick as well. Logically, I'm they probably just had a backup on the line while producing a bunch of other powders like varget and 4350 that everyone's so hot over.

If retumbo had half the fanboys of varget I bet you'd find it a lot more available.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I still don't understand how bore diameter-burn speed-case capacity all factor into powder choice but I have a feeling hodgdon would be able to figure these things out pretty quick and either develop data with the existing formula or rule it out as a candidate. I'm sure anyone with that software program could figure it out quick as well. Logically, I'm they probably just had a backup on the line while producing a bunch of other powders like varget and 4350 that everyone's so hot over.

If retumbo had half the fanboys of varget I bet you'd find it a lot more available.

That's where software like quickload can be handy. It's usually real close to real world results and let's you see factors like burn rate, psi, case fill to powder burn percentage and velocity. Something else that's handy is it gives you a heat potential for each powder which is a factor in barrel life.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    That's the program I was referring to. I just couldn't think of the name. I'd love to run some loads through it but just can't afford to drop $150 on it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    That's the program I was referring to. I just couldn't think of the name. I'd love to run some loads through it but just can't afford to drop $150 on it.

I was in that boat for a long time but after purchasing it's when I realized I should have ponied up a long time ago for it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I was in that boat for a long time but after purchasing it's when I realized I should have ponied up a long time ago for it.

Maybe we need to talk and I'll kick you some cash to run some numbers through there for me some time

600 rounds of 9mm loaded up and 400 rounds of .45 ACP loaded up.

My wife is always asking why I want primers all the time.
    My wife quit asking me questions. I'm still not sure if that's good or bad.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy

I've been contemplating it off and on for a while. i guess it has the potential to save me some components.

Reactions: rp-

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Maybe a few of us need to go in on a copy. Oh how I miss the good old days of downloading free software.

Top Bottom