Target Sports

What is the correct TEXAS way to say Burnet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My get-to, favorite, anti-social, anti-commie-Northerners, figure-it-out is the Pedernales River. There ain't no 'R' in there except in the first syllable.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    The 'one-syllable' pronunciation also helps us remember it's not Burnett or Burnette. Just be glad it's not French...."Buhr-NAY" :)

Guadalupe is still up for discussion, however :) ;)
    The one that got me when I moved here is Bealls. German is my second language, I can guarantee it is *NOT* pronounced "Bells". It is, in fact, "BEALS as in Deals". In Germany, it is a persons sirname, and is spelled: BEAL, BEALL, or BIEL. This is actually funny, However, the following is just plain stupid:

When I lived in the Peoples Repooblik of Kommieforniastan, Someone sent me to pick up soldiers from their class. I was told it was on "Gatey road". I looked for an hour, finally called, and asked them to spell "Gatey road". After about five minutes (no one could spell it off the top of their heads (frikkin' Kalifornians, go figure), I got a phone call, "It's spelled; G-O-E-T-H-E-". I was pretty flabbergasted at the stupidity (theirs). I corrected them with the PROPER pronunciation, and chided them pretty good for run-around.

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    A small fire of rage ignites inside of me when I hear my Kentucky relatives say Ver-sales for Versailles.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    One, of many, that amazed me when first living in the UK was "Cholmondeley".
    Good luck without the internet on that one ...

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    A small fire of rage ignites inside of me when I hear my Kentucky relatives say Ver-sales for Versailles.

I'm inclined to believe the way "locals" pronounce a place name, by definition, makes it the "correct" pronunciation. So yep (being from that immediate area), it's Ver-sales. Not unlike how Kentuckians pronounce, "Loua-vula" (Louisville).

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'm inclined to believe the way "locals" pronounce a place name, by definition, makes it the "correct" pronunciation. So yep (being from that immediate area), it's Ver-sales. Not unlike how Kentuckians pronounce, "Loua-vula" (Louisville).
    Yeah, but then you get one like Mueller(like the old airport area in Austin, now an urban somethingorother). From my studying, it's either Miller or Muller; never the horrible Mee-you-lurr you hear frequently. I asked a fellow whose family name is Mueller how it's pronounced by HIS family. He said, "It depends on which family member you ask!!"

How about Bowie? I was told Boo-wee was only the man or the knife. All others were BO-wee.

Ain't life fun? :)

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Yeah, but then you get one like Mueller(like the old airport area in Austin, now an urban somethingorother). From my studying, it's either Miller or Muller; never the horrible Mee-you-lurr you hear frequently. I asked a fellow whose family name is Mueller how it's pronounced by HIS family. He said, "It depends on which family member you ask!!"

How about Bowie? I was told Boo-wee was only the man or the knife. All others were BO-wee.

Ain't life fun? :)
    Miller.

Boo-wee

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Got my Commercial, Instrument & Multiengine at Muller; never really heard it pronounced the other ways. But if the town is named after the man (Boo-wee), wouldn't it be pronounced the same??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Got my Commercial, Instrument & Multiengine at Muller; never really heard it pronounced the other ways. But if the town is named after the man (Boo-wee), wouldn't it be pronounced the same??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Let’s start with some history. In 1926, a man named Robert Mueller was elected to the city council. Mueller's family came to Texas from Germany in the late nineteenth century. He pronounced his last name as if it were spelled "Miller." But it’s spelled M-U-E-L-L-E-R. Six months after the election, Robert Mueller died. Three years later, Austin opened its first municipal airport and named it after the late council member."

http://kut.org/post/okay-whats-right-way-pronounce-mueller

Last edited:
    Top Bottom