• mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Maybe this needs to go in rants ...

I have tried to make contact with three seperate gunsmiths using e-mail and phone and its like I have leprosy.

Is this business that lucrative that a GS can turn away cash carrying customers?
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I don't have a lot of experience with gunsmiths, but what experience I do have suggests that calls and e-mails are just that. When you walk in the door with some hardware, you have their attention. I guess if you put in some effort, they respond in kind.
    My 2 cents.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Depends on what you are asking...

In my experience gunsmith tend to Be older people who do not like to use computers

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    If the gunsmiths were a 10 or 15 minutes away, then I would agree.
    But a 30 minute drive one way in the hope that their shop is open or even still there is a significant investment.

And while older folks might not be computer savy, the dad-gum phone has been around for a while.

So I guess they are too busy for new customers. Oh well ...

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I think most quality gunsmiths are pretty backed up. At least that's what I hear.
    It may be like wasted timefor them to answer phone vice get work out the door whereas showing up they feel like they have to talk to you.

Just keep in mind, if you do have to wake in, they probably are busy so don't expect quick turn around....or responses to your emails and calls after they get your gun.

Otherwise you'll be on here complaining about them taking too long and not responding. Not slamming you ...just recommending you understand going in that you'll prob see same on the other end of transaction.

Good luck!

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Where do you live? And yes, gunsmiths stay busy, especially the good ones. Most smithys I know of are backlogged for 6+ months. My last shotgun project took almost three months, but well worth it.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    There are a lot of gun butchers out there and a very few real smiths. Good smiths have a backlog. You will pay quite a bit for their services and sometimes as much as the tooling to do it yourself. I learned to work on 1911s by pricing smith work and realizing I can buy three to four sets of parts for the price of a smith to install a set. Lots of the lower end guys won't rebarel actions or even common chores. Some only work on a few guns.
    Maybe if we knew what you were wanting done we could better direct you to a good smith that was willing to help.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Where do you live?

Granbury.

Murle's ... well, he's a prick and has a not so grand reputation.

Been trying to get hold of Johnson Gunsmithing in Cresson.
    Highly recommended, but has hours the same as mine.
    He clearly states that other days are by appointment.
    But if he doesn't answer e-mail, phone or voice mail, how can I make an appointment?

Not sure if he has a day job and this is a sideline or what.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    I think it's probably just the nature of the beast; people don't HAVE to get their gun repaired (at least most people):it's not like you've got to get a transmission fixed on your daily-driver or get the breaker box on your house changed out; he probably hears a heck of a lot of calls and sees a lot of e-mails talking about doing this and that, then never sees the people because they can't or won't spring for the ticket, are just putting it off until right before hunting season, whatever. As mentioned before, a guy walking in the door with a gun sounds a whole lot more serious than a guy on the phone asking how much for a trigger job..

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    From the other side...this business has a lot of lookie-loos and folks who do not understand that hand work is expensive (often both at the same time). People want things fixed for free that will take five or six man-hours...try that approach with your friendly auto mechanic (even one who does not bill by "the book). Or, they want things fixed for free that are only easy to fix because of thirty years of experience, $10k in hand tools, and a half mil in big machines.

My favorite customers are the ones that work with you for days, back and forth, figuring out exactly what they want...and then expect you build it to their specifications so they can LOOK at it and decide IF they want to buy it or not.

Ah, no.

My "working" motto, stolen shamelessly from another high-expense venue is: "Right, fast, or cheap...pick any two."

A rather famous gunsmith told me once that the difference between a gunsmith and a pizza is that a gunsmith can feed a family of four. Which is why most of the "famous" gunsmiths make lots of high profit, high-turnover parts...and a few guns, now and then...

Still, anyone in a "service" industry should be able to be contacted somehow. I perfer email, as I can do five or six things at the same time...hard to do two when on the phone...

Alex

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Maybe this needs to go in rants ...

I have tried to make contact with three seperate gunsmiths using e-mail and phone and its like I have leprosy.

Is this business that lucrative that a GS can turn away cash carrying customers?

I agree with you. But it isn't just gun smiths. Supposedly mom and pops are the utopia of the retail industry. But half the time, you can even get them to call you back.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Get on the other side of the counter sometime.....drive 50 mile one-way, no one there, call their cell - they "forgot" about the SCHEDULED MEETING. Generally speaking, they do NOT get an offer to reschedule!

Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    Good communication skills are usually necessary to stay in business.
    When you call or email a GS tell precisely what kind of work you wanna get done and what gun/action/ barrel etc it is. Then ask for an appointment.

If the GS doesn't respond at all it means that he doesn't want your business. For whatever reason. Period.

Good GSs are kinda rare, will answer within reasonable time, they get the job done, you have to wait at least a month, they are expensive but worth the money. That's my experience.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads