• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I just read all the threads in this forum and can't find a single recommendation for an Austin gunsmith. So what is up? I'd feel a lot better having my CC weapon worked on by someone a senior forum member recommends. Any help out there? If you don't want to broadcast, please PM me with a recommended gunsmith. - Thanks
    Guns International

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I just read all the threads in this forum and can't find a single recommendation for an Austin gunsmith. So what is up? I'd feel a lot better having my CC weapon worked on by someone a senior forum member recommends. Any help out there? If you don't want to broadcast, please PM me with a recommended gunsmith. - Thanks
    Try Hank Fleming on Congress across the street from DPS.

4722 South Congress Avenue Austin, TX 78745
    (512) 445-6339

He does have a good backlog last time i talked to him though.

Texas67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try Hank. I've got parts for a 5lb trigger conversion on an HK USP 40 compact, but no experience installing. I'll bet Hank has more ideas on how to improve the trigger. The stock DA action feels way too heavy at 8 lbs.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    its a DA/SA HK bud,there isn't much you can do to improve that dog of a trigger haha. if you want a better trigger you'll need to get an LEM conversion. but then you have to deal with a loooong,however light,takeup.HKs are known for having terrible DA/SA triggers,it'll probably be better to do the conversion than have some older guy who may be unfamiliar with German poly pistols dickering around with your HK.

Texas67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    its a DA/SA HK bud,there isn't much you can do to improve that dog of a trigger haha. if you want a better trigger you'll need to get an LEM conversion. but then you have to deal with a loooong,however light,takeup.HKs are known for having terrible DA/SA triggers,it'll probably be better to do the conversion than have some older guy who may be unfamiliar with German poly pistols dickering around with your HK.

Yeah, I knew someone would nitpick me on that . I have the LEM DA/SA trigger with safety/decocking lever. A "Light Trigger Return Spring " (4.5-5lb) and "Firing Pin Block Spring - New Style Light" are on the way from HKParts. I'm not crazy about the idea of "on the job learning" for HK disassembly / reassembly, especially if my life might depend on it some day.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gunsmiths are few and far between. Good ones are even harder to find. On top of that, they generally tend to be older, used to doing business the old way, word of mouth, etc. Supply and demand. For the most part, they don't have to go out and try to get the business as much as some other types of professions do.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Gunsmiths are few and far between. Good ones are even harder to find. On top of that, they generally tend to be older, used to doing business the old way, word of mouth, etc. Supply and demand. For the most part, they don't have to go out and try to get the business as much as some other types of professions do.

Real gunsmithing seems to be a dying art, unfortunately.

Top Bottom