• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Back story I was given an old lady rottweiler by a co worker who had to move to an apartment she said she was 14 but ain't no way I would guess in the 8 ish range. I have had her around 3 years with very fer issues she just wants to play and get petted and be the center of your attention.

She now picks fights with my other female dog or I should say the ones I have seen are started by her. Other dog is now is a 5 ish year old Belgian Mal who is also a good dog with people but hit or miss with other dogs. First couple of years went by with no issues but when the rott starts something the Mal finishes it. The rottie has come out of the battles with big lacerations and punctures the Mal has had a few puncture wounds and scratches. I think there have been 4 or 5 fights that I have witnessed and stopped. The Mal will not let go till she is choked out by lifting her collar she simply latches on and shakes her head. After the 2nd fight I purchased a bite stick from amazon and it works to get her to let go.

First and foremost my dogs are my family and are treated as such free range of the house while I am at work access to furniture

I think the rottie is suffering from mental issues now and mabey pain from age she will stand and bark in the corner and do other strange things. She was at the vet a couple months ago because I was worried she was sick or some kind of hormonal issue and more and more trouble standing up.

So now we get to the issue. I was sitting on the couch she was sitting in front of me getting petted. The Mal was laying next to us on the floor. And the rottie bit my arm enough to draw blood. I yelled at that point the Mal attacked her now I am dealing with a bloody arm and two strong dogs trying to kill each other at my feet from a sitting position. Needless to say I get them apart.

I would try and re-home the rott but with her seeming to be more and more unstable I would not be comfortable doing that. With her age and declining health I am fairly sure what I should do
    But hate the thought of euthanasia by a vet.

Anyways I just needed to vent more than anything.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Hard decisions. I have had to put several dogs down. Last tried to bite one of the grandkids, that was the last straw. All the others were along in years and in pain. I hate seeing animals in pain it is still a hard decision. Whatever your decision it will be the right one for you.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Why did the dog bite you? Were you playing or was it just a random attack? Or an aggressive unwarranted nip?

When it's time to put a dog down don't drag it out.

Venting is fine but don't allow it to prolong solving the problem you're venting about.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Like I posted I was on the couch she was sitting in the floor facing away from me I was petting her and she bit me it was just her front teeth but drew a decent amount of blood so more than a nip. No growle no shaking or jerking like it hurt

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Like I posted I was on the couch she was sitting in the floor facing away from me I was petting her and she bit me it was just her front teeth but drew a decent amount of blood so more than a nip. No growle no shaking or jerking like it hurt
    Dang. Was hoping maybe you just hit a fixable hurt spot. This seems more mental, like you only irritated her. Not good, and might explain her picking fights with the Mal. Hope all this isn't affecting him too much.

My good friend @red442joe has two beautiful adult rotties; he might have some insight here, re the breed.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    arnold-schwarzenegger-cocking-gun-4ipyow50v4bhsd9b.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot her in the face if she's getting aggressive and short tempered. It would suck and I wouldn't want to do that but it would be my last resort.

Really hope you don't get there with your dog and you can find a solution for her issues.

Reactions: MTA

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Unfortunately she can't tell you what is wrong.
    She can only tell you *something* is wrong by her behavior. You gotta figure out if it's emotional or physical. As my vet said recently "you" gotta know...
    I believe dogs must have a job. Even if that job is just to be good to you. If they can't do the job, they are miserable.
    Much like on a recent episode of Buddy Brown, AI was asked what to do about 13 of yer cows out of 100 causing fifty percent of the barnyard problems...you have to "separate or isolate, or eliminate" the problem cows.
    Yer gonna come home to a tragety.....I don't know much about Malinois, but they seem to do what they are gonna do, and by God they will DO what they're gonna do!
    I don't think I've ever seen a Rottie who didn't think it's primary job was to take care of it's people.
    I did not share that the last few months of '23 were terrible...my baby girl of 13 years developed cancer in her right elbow.
    There were a lot of things done, but ultimately, her last couple weeks were spent being spoiled.
    The vet gave me her best advice...."I've seen people make the call a day too early, and a day too late....by FAR it is better to make the call a day too soon...by FAR..."
    YOU know your baby girl, you know her "Job", you have to know if she is miserable and what she is trying to tell you, you have to know when to make the call.
    We never met her, but we Love her all the same...
    We are here for you.

Joe

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Its only me and my animals. If others come over keeping her separate is not an issue.

As for shooting her in the face piss off why don't you shoot your kid in the face for being bad. I would hate for my last memories of a friend for 3 years to be her bloody brains splashed across my yard. If you do this kind of thing all I can hope is you make a bad shot and have to deal with a squirming screaming friend.

So she has received a pardon.

I have owned dogs all my life and rotties for 20ish years of them. She is getting old is having issues but is no where near deaths bed or as far as I can tell in pain. She does struggle some to get up but hell my knees are not much better lol. And when shes up she is fine chases toys around. I defiantly have to keep an eye on the mental side of things.

Defiantly has the old dog face and gray hairs.

This is the bite before I had a chance to clean it up. The area raised up about 1/4" from swelling I assume from the "pinch" and bruised some.

As you can see from the photo it was not a full on open mouth arm chomp. the oval shape is not from a k9 fang and not deep.

bite.jpg

Top Bottom