• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    There are several excellent local restaurants in Dripping Springs. Any one of them will make you a much better burger, and it will not be soggy, will not come with a pint of mustard, and the beef wild actually tase like BEEF, not soggy cardboard.
    Capitol Armory ad

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Sadly, any place of business can fall into this. Hard to get good employees from the current generation.
    Probably not any more than other generations. You get what you are willing to accept. I see older people complain about the work ethic of younger people and I see younger people complain about the work ethic of older people. Both are usually valid complaints. That being said, you get what you pay for. if you are paying the same amount as you were 5-10 years ago, and the dollar is less valuable than it was 5-10 years ago, then expect to attract lower quality employees and have trouble retaining those who are better who quickly move on to something paying better.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I have my doubts about that.
    Nothing magical happens that makes someone born in one year or another act differently. Peoples work ethic is based on how they are raised at home, and what their work environment is like. If you hire someone who is lazy, chances are you wouldn’t want to hire their parents either. On any given day I can go to whataburger and chick fil a and have completely different experiences, despite the fact that they are both in the same industry and hiring from the same candidate pool. It has also been this way for as long as I’ve eaten at both restaurants.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Nothing magical happens that makes someone born in one year or another act differently. Peoples work ethic is based on how they are raised at home, and what their work environment is like. If you hire someone who is lazy, chances are you wouldn’t want to hire their parents either. On any given day I can go to whataburger and chick fil a and have completely different experiences, despite the fact that they are both in the same industry and hiring from the same candidate pool. It has also been this way for as long as I’ve eaten at both restaurants.
    Culture. If you believe the culture hasn't changed through the generations, I have a bridge in Baltimore I'd like to sell you.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Culture. If you believe the culture hasn't changed through the generations, I have a bridge in Baltimore I'd like to sell you.
    It has changed, but it is always changing. To some degree, that just means employers need to adapt. If you fail to adapt, then you get the results you deserve. As I pointed out, there are competitors in the same industry that provide a much better customer service experience with the same age group. Would you tell a parent today that they shouldn’t raise their kids properly just because of the year they were born? How old are the parents who decided spanking was bad and everyone should get a trophy?

Blaming another generation is just the easy answer. Nobody ever wants to admit that their own generation is just as screwed up as the others.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It has changed, but it is always changing. To some degree, that just means employers need to adapt. If you fail to adapt, then you get the results you deserve. As I pointed out, there are competitors in the same industry that provide a much better customer service experience with the same age group. Would you tell a parent today that they shouldn’t raise their kids properly just because of the year they were born? How old are the parents who decided spanking was bad and everyone should get a trophy?

Blaming another generation is just the easy answer. Nobody ever wants to admit that their own generation is just as screwed up as the others.
    Call it whatever you want, this is the 'me' generation. You may not see it on a level I do, but much of the younger generation has been dumbed down and dependent on others. It's not that I blame them, certainly parents and federal, state and local policies have much to do with it as well. Taking responsibility for one's self is a foreign concept to them. You can't take away nearly two years of developmental learning from young minds and expect anything good can come of it. That and mix in DEI that has infiltrated much of our learning institutes and you start getting a society of victims that are all too happy to voice their victimhood.

Now I'm not talking about all, but a very big portion of the work age generation.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Probably not any more than other generations. You get what you are willing to accept. I see older people complain about the work ethic of younger people and I see younger people complain about the work ethic of older people. Both are usually valid complaints.
    That does not at all match my experience.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You are overlooking something extremely significant.

Different generations had different home environments in general (always an exception or two). Ditto for the work environment.

Your assertions may match what you wish was true, but they do not match reality.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Call it whatever you want, this is the 'me' generation. You may not see it on a level I do, but much of the younger generation has been dumbed down and dependent on others. It's not that I blame them, certainly parents and federal, state and local policies have much to do with it as well. Taking responsibility for one's self is a foreign concept to them. You can't take away nearly two years of developmental learning from young minds and expect anything good can come of it. That and mix in DEI that has infiltrated much of our learning institutes and you start getting a society of victims that are all too happy to voice their victimhood.

Now I'm not talking about all, but a very big portion of the work age generation.
    The “me generation” is a product of their parents who taught them to be that way. DEI is also not a product of Gen z. It’s a product of boomers and Gen x. What excuse should I make for people who are older who are completely worthless?

When it comes down to it, a lot of Americans, regardless of when they were born, are lazy and/or stupid. It’s not like up until recently, every generation thought so highly of the others.

If it were truly a generational problem, then we wouldn’t have so many organizations that are able to find success with younger employees.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    During the previous generations, it wasn't necessary to have bars on windows and doors.
    During the generation before air conditioning was available, homes were cooled by the ventilation of open windows. Homes and automobiles didn't require alarm systems and cameras during past generations.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    You are overlooking something extremely significant.

Different generations had different home environments in general (always an exception or two). Ditto for the work environment.

Your assertions may match what you wish was true, but they do not match reality.
    What is the different home environment? Two parents working vs 1? Divorce rates? Technology?

I find it extremely hard to believe that my employer and others that I am aware of just accidentally scoop up all the early 20s people with a good work ethic.

Relating it back to the topic, every chick fil a I go to, without even talking to employees is very nice. Whataburger on the other hand, they all look run down. I highly doubt the status of those restaurants is only known to people who are in their teens to 20s.

The age and abilities of the employees of the two businesses are the same. The standards set by the employers however, are not.
    That does not at all match my experience.
    maybe that’s due to a recruiting issue more than anything?

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I go on Sunday because the lines are much shorter. :roflfunny:

Actually I don't like drive through anything, so I just do inside. The lines are much shorter, the people at the counter are friendly, and the food comes to my table quickly.

As to Whataburger, my daughter's boyfriend is a life long Texan and says that since they were bought out the quality of the food is not nearly as good as it used to be. I've only eaten there a couple of times, so at the risk of being asked to leave the state I'll just say that I don't think that their burgers are anything special.

Chic-Fil-A too.
    People tell me it's good. They also tell me they manage the lines well, but long lines are long lines, and as I already said. I do not do lines, so I guess I will never find out if it is good or not.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The “me generation” is a product of their parents who taught them to be that way. DEI is also not a product of Gen z. It’s a product of boomers and Gen x. What excuse should I make for people who are older who are completely worthless?

When it comes down to it, a lot of Americans, regardless of when they were born, are lazy and/or stupid. It’s not like up until recently, every generation thought so highly of the others.

If it were truly a generational problem, then we wouldn’t have so many organizations that are able to find success with younger employees.
    Never said who invented DEI, but when you are talking your general fast food worker, you are talking generation z and sadly many millennials. While you could say DEI started with the Civil Rights movement, the inclusivity part of it today has gotten to ridiculous terms. It's created a generation of victims. The more one can claim victimhood, the more inclusive they become, therefore more deserving. The more deserving you believe you are, the less agreeable you become, and DEI of today encourages that.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I go on Sunday because the lines are much shorter. :roflfunny:

Actually I don't like drive through anything, so I just do inside. The lines are much shorter, the people at the counter are friendly, and the food comes to my table quickly.

As to Whataburger, my daughter's boyfriend is a life long Texan and says that since they were bought out the quality of the food is not nearly as good as it used to be. I've only eaten there a couple of times, so at the risk of being asked to leave the state I'll just say that I don't think that their burgers are anything special.
    The Chic Fil A here where I live, is usually so backed up that you could not get into the parking lot to walk inside.
    It kind of pisses me off. The cars back up out onto the street and block traffic.........Except on Sundays of course. :cool:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Never said who invented DEI, but when you are talking your general fast food worker, you are talking generation z and sadly many millennials. While you could say DEI started with the Civil Rights movement, the inclusivity part of it today has gotten to ridiculous terms. It's created a generation of victims. The more one can claim victimhood, the more inclusive they become, therefore more deserving. The more deserving you believe you are, the less agreeable you become, and DEI of today encourages that.
    i agree, but I would say that the company’s that focus on that are probably usually not hiring the best candidates for the job. Thats a problem with their hiring strategy, not the candidate pool. Get rid of those policies and focus on hiring and retaining the best people for the job and things will improve.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    The restaurant business is a culture of ass hats running them and the customers going. There are customers who when they leave their house are going to pick a fight no matter what they order. Most restaurant owners aren't looking to lose money for sure. Besides crappy customers they also have crappy employees and the two factions don't mix well one bit. We dine out probably too much for our budget but have gotten to know pretty well at least 5 restaurant owners we frequent thru the years. They all parrot what I wrote above. The one thing they all have in common though is having great employees and the willingness of the owner to appease the occasional "bad hair day customer". Another thing they all do, never read the online reviews. They will however respond instantly to any comments written on the "merchant copy" of the bill or online emails. As to Whataburger, once I tried other places, certainly not the franchise stores, there are some absolutely great burgers out there to be bought. My local Whataburger never could get it right - jalapenos on the side, not on the burger. I tried and tried telling them but they just couldn't do it, on the burger every time. How hard is that request ?

Top Bottom