• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Im not a religious person so I don’t view church attendance as a big deal.

Divorce rates are now at a 50 year low, so in that aspect things should be improving for younger workers.

Technology doesn’t make things worse, it just changes things. I find that we need to teach people things that we didn’t use to. we also don’t need to teach things that we used to need to. Adapting to the current times is the deal breaker. See some of the responses in the thread about people not knowing how to drive stick as an example where people fail to realize their own flaws in the way they choose to judge younger people.

whataburgers issues are just a management issue. It really is that simple. Blaming it on generational issues is just an excuse. It’s the easy out that lazy people look for because then they don’t have to do any work to solve the problem. Ive heard comments much like your first one for long enough that the “current generation” that was once spoken about has began retiring. Chick fil a makes far more money than whataburger per location despite being open much less hours and everyone loves the service they get there. Like I said, they hire out of the same pool.
    The decline in church attendance has been accompanied by:

• An increase in crime
    • Increases in families where the father is absent
    • Greater problems with school discipline
    • Increase drug abuse
    • People not knowing that only two genders exist
    • Woke
    • Increased acceptance of aberrant sexual behavior and associated mental illness
    • Increase dependency upon the government dole
    • Undisciplined children
    • Declining morals
    • Declining ethics
    • Declining work ethic
    • Increased sense of entitlement
    Shall I go on?

As others have observed, it was not that long ago that houses and cars did not have to be locked. Children could leave home in the morning to play with friends and not return until dark, and there were no worries about their safety.

Generational issues may not be the only problem, but they absolutely are a major contributing factor.

My offspring have stood out in their workplaces because they have a good work ethic. That once was taken for granted.

Sorry, you can try to defend your generation all you wish. But that will not change my real world experience and observations.

Feel free to have the last word.
    Guns International

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US

• An increase in crime
    • Increase drug abuse
    • Woke
    • Increased acceptance of aberrant sexual behavior and associated mental illness
    • Undisciplined children
    • Declining morals
    • Declining ethics
    • Declining work ethic
    Shall I go on?

As others have observed, it was not that long ago that houses and cars did not have to be locked. Children could leave home in the morning to play with friends and not return until dark, and there were no worries about their safety.

Generational issues may not be the only problem, but they absolutely are a major contributing factor.

My offspring have stood out in their workplaces because they have a good work ethic. That once was taken for granted.

Sorry, you can try to defend your generation all you wish. But that will not change my real world experience and observations.

I was trying to keep my post relevent to the topic of whataburgers issue, however, as far as your list goes, both violent and property crime nationwide have been on a sharp decline for decades with only a recent uptick since 2020. trying to relate the issues to church is another excuse, not a reason.

Lastly, I’m not defending my generation because it’s not my generation being discussed. More so, I am not making an excuse for whataburger. I don’t care what year it is, I want clean dining rooms, upkept buildings and good customer service.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Im not a religious person so I don’t view church attendance as a big deal.
    Of course you don't. That's how that works. You can't see it.

You can defend your generation all you want but those of us on the outside can see the truth.

It's all generalities of course. The younger crowd with a great work ethic aren't looking for fast food jobs.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I only MOSTLY see illegals working fast food.
    If anyone else it is usually a 9th grade dropout.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Of course you don't. That's how that works. You can't see it.

You can defend your generation all you want but those of us on the outside can see the truth.

It's all generalities of course. The younger crowd with a great work ethic aren't looking for fast food jobs.
    Well, yeah, that’s why I said that I don’t go to church. Lol. I’m also not a criminal, not a drug addict, etc. in other words, not going to church has not had the negative impact on me and others I know the way some here want to associate with it. It’s also interesting that none of the people that I know who go to church regularly have the opinion of non church goers that have been expressed here. The idea that whataburgers problems are because their employees don’t go to church is just an excuse.

I’m not defending my generation so I’m not sure where that thought came from.

And plenty of younger people start out in fast food regardless of their work ethic. It’s been that way for a long time, and will probably continue to be that way for a long time.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Stability and longevity of the employees in a restaurant equals success for that restaurant. I visited one of our favs today, a simple Mediterranean individual owned place with superb food and the same employees been there since he opened several years ago. One of the ladies said he was opening up another store and the part of town I recognized as being high dollar rent for sure. Am glad to see him being prosperous. Great food, simple menu, great employees, great owner/boss spells success for them all.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Well duh...

Attachments

• McDonalds job intweview.png
      McDonalds job intweview.png
      300.3 KB · Views: 23

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    whataburgers issues are just a management issue. It really is that simple. Blaming it on generational issues is just an excuse. It’s the easy out that lazy people look for because then they don’t have to do any work to solve the problem. Ive heard comments much like your first one for long enough that the “current generation” that was once spoken about has began retiring. Chick fil a makes far more money than whataburger per location despite being open much less hours and everyone loves the service they get there. Like I said, they hire out of the same pool.

I would not blame management. I would blame corporate. Management is just the mouthpiece of corporate rules. With the "buyout" the corporate rules changed and the decline is not just in isolated stores but seems more across the board. I am not saying all WB stores suck I am sure there are gems out there

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas

• An increase in crime
    • Increase drug abuse
    • Woke
    • Undisciplined children
    • Declining morals
    • Declining ethics
    • Declining work ethic
    Shall I go on?

Interesting sorts of correlations. Rosy retrospection and generation gap issues have always be a problem for old timers. Whether you called is Fogeyism or "Kids these days," it is a phenomenon that has been documented for a long time.

Well, I am a boomer who studied quite a bit of statistics and whatnot over the years. I love correlations. They often mean something significant, but sadly, they more often don't mean something significant.

Of course, when you start of church attendance as the pivot point, it makes everything look like it comes from church attendance, but that is just huckstering the data. It can be huckstered the other way as well.

With the decline of church attendance we also see...

Amazing breakthroughs in medical science
    General increase in the median income of the family
    Higher level of basic education achieved
    Drops in US crime (as noted previously)
    Human population has increased dramatically
    Improved rights for children, particular labor laws
    Improved rights for women
    Improved rights for minorities
    Increased longevity
    Travel capability has improved
    Communication abilities have improved
    Access to information has improved
    And I could go on, but the point is made.

Correlations are easy and the problem is in knowing what is and is not causative. Correlations often look good, but can be absolutely wacky as this guy hilariously points out...

However, when you look at church attendance when when the decline started, it paints an interesting picture. Church attendance was fairly stable through the early 1970s.

Of course, there could be a number of reasons for why people leave the church and they are because of church as noted in this insider article...

· Every year, 2.7 million church members fall into inactivity. This translates into the realization that people are leaving the church. From our research, we have found that they are leaving as hurting and wounded victims-of some kind of abuse, disillusionment, or just plain neglect!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I would not blame management. I would blame corporate. Management is just the mouthpiece of corporate rules. With the "buyout" the corporate rules changed and the decline is not just in isolated stores but seems more across the board. I am not saying all WB stores suck I am sure there are gems out there
    Whataburger franchises so some will be corporate due to take-backs, etc. Based on my past experience of working in a company that franchises, corporate stores tend to be run better. Franchise agreements are hands-off by corporate to some degree since a franchise is it's own company though it does have to abide by terms of the corporate agreement. Poor service in a franchise store is much harder to quickly fix versus a corporate store. The franchise Whataburger near me sucked about 2 years ago. Corporate did a take-back and resold to another franchisee who is great. In general, corporate stores have better service in my opinion whether food, retail or convenience stores.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    both violent and property crime nationwide have been on a sharp decline for decades with only a recent uptick since 2020.
    Crime rates are typically expressed in incidents per capita. So if the population of the country is increasing rapidly, it can mask increases in incidents. So, people see crowded streets, witness or hear about crimes, and feel less safe. Also, for an incident to count, it must be logged in way that will count for the metric (e.g., report, arrest, conviction). If there are fewer cops or detectives to take calls, investigate, or make arrests, or people stop reporting because they understand nothing will happen, then many crimes will not be counted, so you can have high crime and lower rates.

The bias in media and government is not only contained in what is actually stated in a story, but there is hidden biases in what data is used to tell the story they want (deportations are up), or what stories are even covered at all (the border is secure). There term alternative facts has a bad connotation now as its been used as to suggest the alternative data is fake news and there is only one truth. Alternative facts used to be called evidence to the contrary, and required a trained (and ethical) scientist, lawyer, or reported to resolve discrepancies in the data or evidence to determine and report the truth. The lines have been drawn in the sand so clearly now that this is rarely possible. Bias is rampant among those who we most depend on to be unbiased for the good of the entire country, not just one party.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Crime rates are typically expressed in incidents per capita. So if the population of the country is increasing rapidly, it can mask increases in incidents. So, people see crowded streets, witness or hear about crimes, and feel less safe. Also, for an incident to count, it must be logged in way that will count for the metric (e.g., report, arrest, conviction). If there are fewer cops or detectives to take calls, investigate, or make arrests, or people stop reporting because they understand nothing will happen, then many crimes will not be counted, so you can have high crime and lower rates.

The bias in media and government is not only contained in what is actually stated in a story, but there is hidden biases in what data is used to tell the story they want (deportations are up), or what stories are even covered at all (the border is secure). There term alternative facts has a bad connotation now as its been used as to suggest the alternative data is fake news and there is only one truth. Alternative facts used to be called evidence to the contrary, and required a trained (and ethical) scientist, lawyer, or reported to resolve discrepancies in the data or evidence to determine and report the truth. The lines have been drawn in the sand so clearly now that this is rarely possible. Bias is rampant among those who we most depend on to be unbiased for the good of the entire country, not just one party.
    The rate is what matters. If there are 2 incidents of violent crime in a town of 100 and 5 incidents in a city of 10000, you’re statistically less likely to be a victim of a violent crime in the city of 10000 despite there being more total crimes. Therefore, the rate is what’s most important when looking at safety, and suggestions that the rate is masking an increase is misleading as far as this conversation goes. Nobody would ever believe that San Pedro Sula is safer than the US because there were less murders in that city than throughout the US despite the murder rate being 10x higher there.

All that said, according to the FBI table 1 data that covers from 2000-2019, across both violent and property crimes, not only has the rate decreased in every category, but the total number of crimes has also decreased in nearly every category despite significant population growth.

Have you considered that the perception that the US is more dangerous than in the past may be the result of information traveling both further and faster than it did in past decades? Have you looked on any maps to see if the perceived increase in crimes that are all over the tv/internet are even occurring in close proximity to you?

Proponents of gun rights: more guns is the reason for the decrease in crime in the US.

Also proponents of gun rights: less people going to church is the reason for the increase in crime in the US.

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    So you know how to calculate a rate. You missed my point, the DATA that is used in the numerator and denominator can be as biased as the people who count them. At this point, the rate does not perform as advertised. The more politicized the topic, the more likely it is to be biased.

Recently a climate scientist published a study that showed that forest fires were more intense due to global warming. He purposely left out a key variable from his model: forest management. If you cut and remove dead or unhealthy trees, you are less likely to get a fire. The "peer review" of more established climate scientists neither refused to publish the article without that key variable nor did they asked if he could re-run the study after including forest management in his model. They simply published it because it supported their views. The mainstream media then dutifully reported his timely study given the raging fires across California. He then re-ran his study with forest management in the model and the results no longer showed global warming increased the intensity of fires. That is how bias is done by people who know how to do it. Ethics is the problem. For pulling this stunt, the scientist's career is probably over. The editors will continue to publish flawed and unflawed studies...as long as they have the same conclusion.

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    So you know how to calculate a rate. You missed my point, the DATA that is used in the numerator and denominator can be as biased as the people who count them. At this point, the rate does not perform as advertised. The more politicized the topic, the more likely it is to be biased.

Recently a climate scientist published a study that showed that forest fires were more intense due to global warming. He purposely left out a key variable from his model: forest management. If you cut and remove dead or unhealthy trees, you are less likely to get a fire. The "peer review" of more established climate scientists neither refused to publish the article without that key variable nor did they asked if he could re-run the study after including forest management in his model. They simply published it because it supported their views. The mainstream media then dutifully reported his timely study given the raging fires across California. He then re-ran his study with forest management in the model and the results no longer showed global warming increased the intensity of fires. That is how bias is done by people who know how to do it. Ethics is the problem. For pulling this stunt, the scientist's career is probably over. The editors will continue to publish flawed and unflawed studies...as long as they have the same conclusion.
    The decrease has been going on for 50ish years. So are you saying that the recent soft on crime policies in liberal areas over the past few years is responsible for the decreased crime rates over several decades? Despite the long term downward trend, there has been an increase over the past few years, as reported by the people that you say are presenting biased results. The soft on crime policies have not resulted in less crime reported, they have resulted in less convictions, so your argument does not hold water. I could get on board with the idea that the data is skewed, one way or the other, but if it’s skewed lower then it’s all skewed lower and the point remains that over the decades crime has decreased.

This is getting pretty far from the fact that whataburgers issues are not related to less people going to church these days.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting sorts of correlations. Rosy retrospection and generation gap issues have always be a problem for old timers. Whether you called is Fogeyism or "Kids these days," it is a phenomenon that has been documented for a long time.

Well, I am a boomer who studied quite a bit of statistics and whatnot over the years. I love correlations. They often mean something significant, but sadly, they more often don't mean something significant.

Of course, when you start of church attendance as the pivot point, it makes everything look like it comes from church attendance, but that is just huckstering the data. It can be huckstered the other way as well.

With the decline of church attendance we also see...

Amazing breakthroughs in medical science
    General increase in the median income of the family
    Higher level of basic education achieved
    Drops in US crime (as noted previously)
    Human population has increased dramatically
    Improved rights for children, particular labor laws
    Improved rights for women
    Improved rights for minorities
    Increased longevity
    Travel capability has improved
    Communication abilities have improved
    Access to information has improved
    And I could go on, but the point is made.

Correlations are easy and the problem is in knowing what is and is not causative. Correlations often look good, but can be absolutely wacky as this guy hilariously points out...

However, when you look at church attendance when when the decline started, it paints an interesting picture. Church attendance was fairly stable through the early 1970s.

Of course, there could be a number of reasons for why people leave the church and they are because of church as noted in this insider article...

Correlation is not causation, as you point out.

A decline in Americans embracing Judea-Christian values has a direct impact on families and the raising of children. As well as on ethics of all types. Causation exists.

Are you telling me that crime today is lower than it was in the 50's? I don't think so. Don't confuse short term trends with long term trends. Also, the decline in policing (driven by liberals) should be taken into account.

Much of the above list has nothing to do with the topic. The point is not made. The logic fails and is false.

Even though much of the U.S. was not practicing in regard to religion, the basic values were largely shared. {So, H this is not merely a knock on those who don't attend church.} That stopped being true decades ago. And with that morals and ethics in the U.S. began to decline.

To counter the above list, and where causation does exist, just look at the trans and aberrant sexual practices that are now not just acknowledged, not just accepted, but celebrated. Kids being mutilated for life by immoral parents. Encouraged by other immoral people.

Follow your own advice and examine causation.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The rate is what matters. If there are 2 incidents of violent crime in a town of 100 and 5 incidents in a city of 10000, you’re statistically less likely to be a victim of a violent crime in the city of 10000 despite there being more total crimes. Therefore, the rate is what’s most important when looking at safety, and suggestions that the rate is masking an increase is misleading as far as this conversation goes. Nobody would ever believe that San Pedro Sula is safer than the US because there were less murders in that city than throughout the US despite the murder rate being 10x higher there.

All that said, according to the FBI table 1 data that covers from 2000-2019, across both violent and property crimes, not only has the rate decreased in every category, but the total number of crimes has also decreased in nearly every category despite significant population growth.

Have you considered that the perception that the US is more dangerous than in the past may be the result of information traveling both further and faster than it did in past decades? Have you looked on any maps to see if the perceived increase in crimes that are all over the tv/internet are even occurring in close proximity to you?

Proponents of gun rights: more guns is the reason for the decrease in crime in the US.

Also proponents of gun rights: less people going to church is the reason for the increase in crime in the US.
    Look at the data from 1900 to present. Then we will talk.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I like Whataburger. The Covid era was tough on businesses but Whataburger hung in there and kept serving food. The lingering effect is a lot of businesses are working shorthanded, especially restaurants. (This is true in my area)
    During the shutdown, the drive through lines at Waddleburger were spilling out into the Tractor Supply parking lot.
    But the same was true for McDonalds.

Top Bottom