Target Sports

What's Your Choice For A Budget Home Defense Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    To each their own but I wouldn't trust 90% of the fly by night Turkish shotgun brands.

1. They put out a shotgun.
    2. It's a clusterfk.
    3. They rename it.
    4. They sell it to the next guy.
    5. Repeat.

Unless it is coming from a reputable and proven major manufacturer, I'd steer clear. YMMV. TFBTV has done several 500rd burndowns with the some of the Turkish clones and they have fallen apart every single time.
    Venture Surplus ad

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I know this probably falls outside the OP's parameters but I am giving serious thought picking up a Beretta A300 Patrol. Seems to be the sweet spot between a good pumper and the auto-shuckers like the 1301 and M4. I've had positive experiences with 590A1's but I traded mine off and I'm now getting around to refilling its slot.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    The Maverick 88 is the best budget shotgun. The Mossberg 500 is a great affordable shotgun. The Mossberg 590 is the most tested and durable shotgun, when looking at pump actions. Remington ls jam too much, and the Turkish stuff has lots of issues and parts that can break.

I have a Mossberg 500 that I have had for 30 years and trusted for me and my families safety and home defense. I have lots of shotguns, from an old Steven side by sides to a Benelli M4, and the 30 year 500 is my go to (over 590’s and 870’s).

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Believe me I have budgetary problems myself & I'm not trying to piss on y'all's parades, but I honestly believe budget & home defense do not belong in the same sentence.

For years my defensive shot gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer with a slug barrel & rifle sights. I had a High Standards A-10 Police Shotgun too(go ahead & search that).Next was a Benelli SBE.

Now its a Benelli M-4 CQB/Entry gun. It's loaded with 6 high brass #4 buck & the ghost loading is a very nice touch. On the left side of the receiver is a 6 shot card on a velcro patch to it with back up rounds.I do have an attachment point on it for a SureFire M322V Vampire Scout Light. Having IR capable lighting is a big advantage over those entering without NOD's.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Maverick 88 in 20 and 12, work great. 870s jam too easy. Barrel is replaceable with Mossberg if needed. IIRC I paid 200$ for each. Neither have a short barrel. No need for buckshot at close range. I use handguns for my protection.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Maverick 88 in 20 and 12, work great. 870s jam too easy. Barrel is replaceable with Mossberg if needed. IIRC I paid 200$ for each. Neither have a short barrel. No need for buckshot at close range. I use handguns for my protection.
    The instructor in a Defense Shotgun Class I took recommended 00 Buckshot. He compared eight pellets compared to a few 9mm rounds. One of the students with a newer model 870 did experience a jam.

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Believe me I have budgetary problems myself & I'm not trying to piss on y'all's parades, but I honestly believe budget & home defense do not belong in the same sentence.

For years my defensive shot gun was an Ithaca Deerslayer with a slug barrel & rifle sights. I had a High Standards A-10 Police Shotgun too(go ahead & search that).Next was a Benelli SBE.

Now its a Benelli M-4 CQB/Entry gun. It's loaded with 6 high brass #4 buck & the ghost loading is a very nice touch. On the left side of the receiver is a 6 shot card on a velcro patch to it with back up rounds.I do have an attachment point on it for a SureFire M322V Vampire Scout Light. Having IR capable lighting is a big advantage over those entering without NOD's.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that home defense and budget absolutely belong together. For instance, if all your budget allows is a New England Firearms single shot shotgun, that's better than relying on 911. You buy the best you can afford, and hopefully save hour money to upgrade.
    That's just my opinion, and we all know the saying about opinions.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    ...'the pump alone is enough to make burglars shit bricks'

So said bidet...our crazy old coot at the nations helm, with a lot of input from obammy, susan rice and v. jarrett.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    the mossberg maverick are manu factured in eagle pass Texas! pretty much an economy version of the mossberg 500
    I still have my Mossberg 500 and also the 835 Ultra Mag turkey shotgun. They are great and awesome. Of course they are my hunting guns and not self defense as I rely on my Remington 870 for that purpose.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    d1e94d81fef7af81bae4cd0019d78767.jpg

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    In 2005ish I carried a M590A1 in Iraq, but we had a few guys that picked some Winchester WWII trench guns. They shot fine at the range. Guys liked the thought they may have been used to kill Nazis. Might have some pictures of them somewhere. Only downside was the stocks did crack from being tossed around. A few guys ordered synthetic stocks that fit, most just added some 100mph tape.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    I will echo what most people have said already, and these are also the ones I've had direct experience with. Any Mossberg 500 series as they're indestructible, and the factory ghost rings are great. Any Remington 870 series (even the cheaper ones are pretty good) they're very well balanced and aftermarket parks are numerous. Lastly any Winchester defender series, they have the smoothest action out of all but are heavy as hell (newer models from 2010 up, the old school trench guns or police trade ins are a little lighter weight).

Budget is relative though, however I think generally a shotgun will get you into a firearm of "fighting quality" for less money than anything else. Personally I prefer other options besides shotguns for home defense, but that's me.

Top Bottom