Target Sports

Who Here Can't Operate A Standard Shift Vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I was surprised to learn my Granddaughters can't.

Vehicle has to be an automatic drive or no go...

How about you and yours?

Can you operate a standard shift vehicle?

Can your wife or kids or Grand-kids?

PS, my wife could NOT catch on how to operate a standard shift no matter how much I yelled at her...no, I didn't, but gently letting out the clutch while simultaneously applying pressure to the accelerator was something she just couldn't do...

Also, wonder if car makers still make standard cars/pickups?

PS, it's OK, if you don't know how to drive a stick shift...maybe you never had the chance...?
    Texas SOT

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    We own the last generation of Corvette's that were available with a stick, 2017 Z06 7-speed manual. I'd like to get a new C8 but the wifey refuses to sell the Z06, she likes the stick!

Yes, there are a few, very few though, sticks still available new. One of them is on my possible's list - 2024 Caddy CT5-V Blackwing, 668 HP and 659 lb.-ft. of torque. For reference, my Z06 is 650/650.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    In 2008, my sold her motorcycle and wanted a convertible. I hate rag tops so we found her a Miata with a retractable hard top and manual transmission.
    When we showed it to my daughter.

Her: "why did you get it with a stick shift?"
    Me: "Can you drive a stick?"
    Her: "Touche"

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    My 2016 Kia Soul; had 12000 less miles, was 1+ year newer; it was also $2200 cheaper because of the 6 speed. who cares if they don't want to learn stick.

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Lufkin, TX
    Always had a stick since I could drive. Started when I could reach the pedals on our old John Deere 950 from grandpa. Maybe around 8-10 years old. Then started on a 3 on the tree GMC truck. First automatic is my F350 idi that was given to me. Once I can I'm switching to a zf 5 speed when I can.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Also - on the racing front - even with the advent of paddle shifting / PDK, there are still racing series that build new cars that use stick, albeit dog boxes - which are FANTSTIC - you only need the clutch for starting / stopping, you blip throttle on the downshifts:
    -NASCAR (Cup uses sequential, XFINITY and Trucks use 4-speed, Andrews gearbox is one of them)
    -TransAm (TA2 class use 4 speed, Andrews is very popular, what I used, the TA1 cars typically are Hewland sequential boxes)

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Learned on a stick and drove a stick until 2016. I'm older and it became a hassle in commuting traffic. My wife learned sometime before we started dating around 40 years ago.

Kids are another story. Son in mid-30s learned when I sold him my stick car back when he was around 20yo. My daughters in mid-20s and early 30s couldn't drive a stick to save their lives. I offered but they never wanted to learn.

Finding sticks can be hard. My last cheap commuter car I wanted with a stick was a Ford but no dealerships had stcks. Of course Ford & Mazda had joint ventures back then and I found the Mazda version of the car with a stick. Funny since I remember the 70's invasion of the cheap Japanese cars when everything was a stick. It wasn't easy to find an automatic in most models plus an auto would add $500 to that $6k price tag.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Instead of teaching people to give gas while letting out the clutch, I tell them to let out the clutch til you can feel that the car may move a tiny bit on its own power and then begin to lightly give gas while letting the clutch out slowly.

I find that just telling them to give gas while letting the clutch out leads to them over revving way too high and then having a harsh takeoff from first once the clutch catches.

4 out of 5 in our family can drive standards. I daily drive one - Mazda MX-5.

I miss my 2018 MX-5 every day.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    This gets regular usage....

460cid. 4spd (1st being "granny")...

4:10 gear...

Attachments

• F 350 Front Tires 003.JPG