Venture Surplus ad

Who Here Can't Operate A Standard Shift Vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    You'd be surprised at how many Millennials are fine with giving up their man cards. Between toxic masculinity as a byproduct of the patriarchy and the cool factor of being "somewhere" on the gender spectrum, I see effeminate males all over.
    It’s because my generation failed as parents

Eta - it’s the same generation that pays illegals to cut their grass while their kids sit inside and play video games

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    It’s because my generation failed as parents
    Yes, but the teachers and professors were really sneaky. They are like 95% liberal and when 95% of any organization is liberal it begins spreading the infection. With kids, there are few symptoms of the illness until they start feeling independent and voting.

I had several friends a few years back wondering how their sweet kid suddenly hates them because their parents' generation destroyed the planet and their futures.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My brother had a ranger that was manual. I drove it a few times when i was in 10th grade. I havent driven a manual since then.

They arent common enough for me to care to retain the skills although I wouldnt turn down the chance to relearn as long as its someones else clutch I am destroying

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I was surprised to learn my Granddaughters can't.

Vehicle has to be an automatic drive or no go...

How about you and yours?

Can you operate a standard shift vehicle?

Can your wife or kids or Grand-kids?

PS, my wife could NOT catch on how to operate a standard shift no matter how much I yelled at her...no, I didn't, but gently letting out the clutch while simultaneously applying pressure to the accelerator was something she just couldn't do...

Also, wonder if car makers still make standard cars/pickups?

PS, it's OK, if you don't know how to drive a stick shift...maybe you never had the chance...?
    i think most of the automakers have phased them out!

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Back in August, my wife headed out in the morning in the dark. She drove a couple blocks and thought the passenger side rear window was open, tried to close it but nothing happened. She pulled over and found glass inside everywhere and no window. She called me and brought her car home.

Sure enough, someone tried to steal her 2015 KIA Soul with a manual transmission. She also missed the steering column cover had been popped apart. ( it was early,morning) Best we could figure is the thief broke in following the KIA theft challenge protocol and when they discovered the car was a manual, they gave up the theft.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I learned on a Buick Dynaflo in the 1950’s, Uncle was a Buick Dealer. Immediately switched to sticks, a three, four 4-speeds.

Automatics have constantly improved over the decades.

Last big improvement I recall in sticks was full synchro.

GrandPa was a one-legged Hudson dealer, and had “electric clutches” installed in his sticks.

One issue I strongly differ with “experts” on is this: I teach my young to brake with EITHER foot when driving autos.

After decades of making fun of those who claimed to have “stepped on the wrong pedal’’, it happened to me. Driving my old 2001 Wrangler automatic in downtown N.O., I had to brake for an oncoming FedEx truck, and my big size 12 kept hitting both brake & accelerator pedals; almost caused a head-on !

This incident caused me to go back to braking with left foot only in stop-&-go city traffic.

leVieux

<>

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I learned on a manual van my dad had. I can still drive a stick shift and a motorcycle.

My son can drive a motorcycle but has never tried a stick shift. I never had one to teach any of my kids on.

I don't attach driving a manual to any form of masculinity though. It's a dying skill to need being phased out more and more everyday.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    If a Baby Boomer tells you that he can't drive a standard, he's yanking your chain. I've got 4 grandkids & I'm only sure of one of them 'cause she's a gearhead like her dad.
    I haven't owned one (& consequently probably haven't driven one) since our '79 Mazda wagon died in 1988.

Last edited:

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    My brother had a ranger that was manual. I drove it a few times when i was in 10th grade. I havent driven a manual since then.

They arent common enough for me to care to retain the skills although I wouldnt turn down the chance to relearn as long as its someones else clutch I am destroying
    Man Card Revoked.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    <>

I learned on a Buick Dynaflo in the 1950’s, Uncle was a Buick Dealer. Immediately switched to sticks, a three, four 4-speeds.

Automatics have constantly improved over the decades.

Last big improvement I recall in sticks was full synchro.

GrandPa was a one-legged Hudson dealer, and had “electric clutches” installed in his sticks.

One issue I strongly differ with “experts” on is this: I teach my young to brake with EITHER foot when driving autos.

After decades of making fun of those who claimed to have “stepped on the wrong pedal’’, it happened to me. Driving my old 2001 Wrangler automatic in downtown N.O., I had to brake for an oncoming FedEx truck, and my big size 12 kept hitting both brake & accelerator pedals; almost caused a head-on !

This incident caused me to go back to braking with left foot only in stop-&-go city traffic.

leVieux

<>
    You should never get used to using your left foot to brake in an auto, you will inadvertently rest your foot on the brake, then you heat up and wear out your brakes inadvertently and there is none when you need them.

Top Bottom