ARJ Defense ad

Why you shouldn't search with a weapon-mounted light on a handgun - Massad Ayoob

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    What he says makes perfect sense.
    I did not mouth a light on my nightstand gun to search, only to illuminate the target once it has been determined that the threat exists.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sometimes I think these guys sit around thinking of videos to make using the smallest chance that someone could get charged with a crime so they can warn everyone to not do it.
    If I am on my property and investigating in intruder and I've got a weapon light your damn right I'm going to use it to clear my property.
    If you live in a state where by doing what I just described gets you a felony..you need to move now.

I'd like to see a video in the amount of glue that Mas uses nowadays to hold that cat hairpiece down on a windy day. I bet that's some flex seal level stuff.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sometimes I think these guys sit around thinking of videos to make using the smallest chance that someone could get charged with a crime so they can warn everyone to not do it.
    If I am on my property and investigating in intruder and I've got a weapon light your damn right I'm going to use it to clear my property.
    If you live in a state where by doing what I just described gets you a felony..you need to move now.

I'd like to see a video in the amount of glue that Mas uses nowadays to hold that cat hairpiece down on a windy day. I bet that's some flex seal level stuff.
    Gotta get the clicks...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I can see the arguements for a weapon mounted light. And the ones against. They can be a benefit, of they can limit your options. Personally I prefer a handheld flashlight in my off hand. But that is just me.
    But pretty much, the answer again depends on each person and the situation you happen to be in at the moment.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Generic video....

Remember some States require their residents to attempt to escape or evade first........yes, move if and when possible to another State....

I too have a light on the bedside firearm, but that is the only one that has one mounted....also have a handheld light available at b/side....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

^^^^^This!^^^^^

If pointing a gun at intruder in YOUR home gets you a felony charge, you're in the wrong state!

I also look at a weapon-mounted light as means to properly identify the target before firing, which IMO fully out-weighs some bogus charge of pointing a weapon at another person.

Anyone remember the thread about the father who shot his daughter in the garage because he failed to properly identify his target? I don't remember the actual thread, but it was pretty active and this very topic was talked alot about on that thread.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    He has likely seen this in a trail case. He has more experience than this whole form, but...In real life when you drop the flashlight and get the gun the bad guy has already fired off three rounds.
    I have a light so I know what I am shooting at and not just a family member's shadow in the dark.
    Judged by 12 or carried by six comes to mind

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I mean, technically he's right on some points, but if I'm woken up at night by a bump in the night, I'm going to assume any person making the bump noises is not supposed to be there and I'm going to identify who it is before the bullets start flying. A light is very important for that.

Any DA that would bring a case against a law abiding citizen for using a gun light to identify a potential intruder before letting the bullets fly should be voted out for being a ****.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What thread was it this came up and @cycleguy2300 and @Sasquatch had some good points to not use the light? Oh @toddnjoyce also had good points. I don't remember the thread but the feedback was insightful.

Inside the home though, I wouldn't worry because to be inside is, mostly, forced entry.

Whatever thread it was it had a lot of good contact for this one. Lots of talking about weapon lights and potential intruder vs recognized intruder.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What thread was it this came up and @cycleguy2300 and @Sasquatch had some good points to not use the light? Oh @toddnjoyce also had good points. I don't remember the thread but the feedback was insightful.

Inside the home though, I wouldn't worry because to be inside is, mostly, forced entry.

Whatever thread it was it had a lot of good contact for this one. Lots of talking about weapon lights and potential intruder vs recognized intruder.
    I think that was the thread I was referring to about the father that shot his daughter in the garage when he failed to identify the target before firing.

I don't remember the name of the thread though. I'll look again to see if I have it saved.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    He has likely seen this in a trail case. He has more experience than this whole form, but...In real life when you drop the flashlight and get the gun the bad guy has already fired off three rounds.
    I have a light so I know what I am shooting at and not just a family member's shadow in the dark.
    Judged by 12 or carried by six comes to mind

Ayoob has very little actual real world experience.

Not much went on in the mean streets of Grantham, NH. He is an expert because he said he was.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I mean, technically he's right on some points, but if I'm woken up at night by a bump in the night, I'm going to assume any person making the bump noises is not supposed to be there and I'm going to identify who it is before the bullets start flying. A light is very important for that.

Any DA that would bring a case against a law abiding citizen for using a gun light to identify a potential intruder before letting the bullets fly should be voted out for being a ****.
    Dont laugh, you're in Californias premier gated community of austin. A guy is awaiting trial for shooting some antifatard who pointed an AK at him.

Unless the corruption of the DA ended that case.

Top Bottom