• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Yet I was never aware that any governing body over any profession had ever mandated the use of a machine...
    FMCSA requires CMV operators with a sleep apnea diagnosis in their history to demonstrate CPAP usage as a condition of the DOT medical. That consists of a Compliance report that shows an average of 4hrs of usage for at least 70% of nights. I don’t know how far FMCSA’s look back is.

The FAA (and DOD) requires ALL pilots and rated aircrew who hold any medical sleep apnea diagnosis in their history to demonstrate CPAP usage as a condition of regulator required medical exam. That consists of a compliance report that shows an average of 6hrs of usage for at least 75% of nights over the past year.

In both instances, the patient pulls the report from the machine, prints it out, and brings it to the medical exam. If the criteria are met, that part of the medical exam is a ‘pass’. Note those examiners are primarily private practice physicians, like a doc in the box, who are delegated examining authority by the regulator. If unable to demonstrate compliance, the examining physician usually has to defer (fail) that part of the exam and forward the relevant info to the regulator (who is a .gov employee) for review, investigation, and decisioning.

In the pilot world, this is such non event that it never really comes up except whether to use the device’s UI for the report or use SleepyHead for the analytics.

To my knowledge, none of this data is actively transmitted to a regulator in real time for direct oversight.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    What event occured to pursue investigating a CPAP? I've never had a Doctor mention anything like that.
    I fall asleep easily and typically sleep in ~2 hour increments. I assume that's a holdover from long running IT admin tasks where I'd catch short naps of about that length.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Here's my CPAP with wireless active. There is an SD card slot on the side, but it's empty. The VA can query my machine whenever they want to check my usage but I am pretty sure they just do the min which is query in prep for my annual check-in.

And mine has no such wirless capability. So the statement that all CPAP machines are doing this is still...wait for it...bullshit.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    No one was ever denied a machine based on the sleep test. My experience with the 3rd follow on appointment was that no one even read the test results. 3rd follow on appointment, new nurse: "Oh, look you have restless leg too, here's an additional prescription".

Weird that my wife with her chainsaw snoring was denied a CPAP. Maybe she's hiding it from me.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    And mine has no such wirless capability. So the statement that all CPAP machines are doing this is still...wait for it...bullshit.
    Yes, it is tough to show ALL CPAPs do this. I just wanted to provide an example of what one looks like that does. I am quite sure the VA only allows apniacs to purchase ones with this capability, so they can do their checking quickly and remotely. Otherwise, the VA gets backed up. The guy who checks my CPAP is not even a doc. He just checks usage and function. If I think the CPAP is no longer working even if the tech says it is working fine, I am supposed to report this to my doc who will order up a sleep study.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yes, it is tough to show ALL CPAPs do this. I just wanted to provide an example of what one looks like that does. I am quite sure the VA only allows apniacs to purchase ones with this capability, so they can do their checking quickly and remotely. Otherwise, the VA gets backed up. The guy who checks my CPAP is not even a doc. He just checks usage and function. If I think the CPAP is no longer working even if the tech says it is working fine, I am supposed to report this to my doc who will order up a sleep study.

See, that's my issue with the OP rant. Guy who claims he's a doctor first insinuating that sleep apnea isn't a real thing but is instead part of some insidious plot to...monitor our sleep? Sure. And then the blanket statement that "C-PAP unit was designed to report back in, AUTOMATICALLY, to Big Brother daily, to assure forced compliance uniformity" (inappropriate capitalization his)...well, if someone who is on the fence about getting help with their sleep apnea read that screed they might be encouraged to make a bad decision based on what is claimed. "First do no harm" indeed.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    And yet you started this thread off with blanket statements about all CPAPs "reporting back". So you claim you had to hook your CPAP machine up to a phone line? Because I know damn well if you ever were a pilot it was before wifi was a thing. Were you required to have a dedicated phone line for it, or did "they" require you to stay off the phone between certain hours when you were expected to sleep?
    <>

Again, no. I specified “DoT & FAA”.

Of course, there are many C-PAP machines, manufacturers, “programs”, etc which I never claimed to know about.

Once more, you pull something out of context, change a word or two, then accuse me of something I never said nor intended.

Typical !

My topic was clearly abusive government agencies.

I did not comment on the general topics of sleep apnea, use of C-PAP, obesity-hypoxia complex, or the medical issues IN GENERAL.

Those interested should read the o.p. for themselves.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    See, that's my issue with the OP rant. Guy who claims he's a doctor first insinuating that sleep apnea isn't a real thing but is instead part of some insidious plot to...monitor our sleep? Sure. And then the blanket statement that "C-PAP unit was designed to report back in, AUTOMATICALLY, to Big Brother daily, to assure forced compliance uniformity" (inappropriate capitalization his)...well, if someone who is on the fence about getting help with their sleep apnea read that screed they might be encouraged to make a bad decision based on what is claimed. "First do no harm" indeed.
    <>

Please read the o.p.

I clearly DID NOT SAY those things !

<>

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    <>

Please read the o.p.

<>
    Yes, yes you did. see below. What is the question, the answer is Deny, Defend, Deflect.

Then, recall that every “C-PAP unit was designed to report back in, AUTOMATICALLY, to Big Brother daily, to assure forced compliance uniformity.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    In the last 6-8 years CPAP have wireless capability. Before that, if data was requested, it was gotten from the machine itself or from an SD card.

In order for the patient, the provider, the doctor, or anyone to see the results from the machine they have to have the manufacturer's app, ResMed is MyAir, Philips-Respironics is DreamMapper.

It can't be accessed without the app and the machine serial number entered into the app. Yes, info can be gotten but, not anyone can get this information without being registered in the app. These machines still have an SD card slot for places wifi isn't available.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    <>

Please read the o.p.

<>

I've read it twice. Maybe you should review the words you used the order you used them in, and the claims you made.

BTW, when was this that you were required to use a CPAP that had this reporting ability?

You never answered that question when I posed it to you. Are you claiming to still be maintaining your pilots license? Because before about 15 years ago, home wifi wasn't a common thing, and wifi connectivity in devices that aren't computer related was nearly unheard of. Considering how old you've often claimed to be, this gives me even more reason to doubt you.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've read it twice. Maybe you should review the words you used the order you used them in, and the claims you made.

BTW, when was this that you were required to use a CPAP that had this reporting ability?

You never answered that question when I posed it to you. Are you claiming to still be maintaining your pilots license? Because before about 15 years ago, home wifi wasn't a common thing, and wifi connectivity in devices that aren't computer related was nearly unheard of. Considering how old you've often claimed to be, this gives me even more reason to doubt you.

I know I had home wifi in the 90s.
    I don't think I was special.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    ResMed. It's basically what they had when I got it, and it's got no wireless capabilities. Just a memory card slot. There apparently is a wireless accessory that can be plugged into it, but I have no such device and none was offered or suggested.
    Sounds like you have the ResMed S9. It's a gray machine and the humidifier snaps onto the side. You are correct, it only has the SD card slot. ResMed did have a module that fit onto the S9 for wireless connection. It didn't work very well and when the AirSense 10 came out, it had an internal modem that worked much better.

Top Bottom