• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    What has happened is that a supplier has shipped an upper claiming that it was a 1/9 twist barrel and from a certain manufacture. When I opened the box the barrel says 1/7 on it and there are no roll marks to identify the manufacture.

I am not sure if I have been caught up in the shell game of them just trying to get me to accept what they have simply because its an upper. I am not wanting to do that since for over $600 bucks that upper should be what I was told it would be, no?

Different question than you asked, but here's the answer: you didn't get what you ordered or paid for. The seller should make that right, eat the return costs and either replace it with the correct item or refund your costs+shipping.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Different question than you asked, but here's the answer: you didn't get what you ordered or paid for. The seller should make that right, eat the return costs and either replace it with the correct item or refund your costs+shipping.

So far I have sent the box back and expect a full refund of all charges. They'll need to see the returned upper and that it was not moved or damaged in anyway. After that I expect a full refund of all charges. They have been a good company to me in the past but the orders were never difficult and were mostly mags.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    TX69, try here...........http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/556-caliber-16-length-AR15-556-16.htm

These are polygonal barrels. You can spec out what you want. I have one of these on an AR and it shoots very very well.

It looks like you can spec out 1/9, mid, etc...........

Those look great but a barrel from them will cost around $300 plus which is way too much for what I need. I have found some 416 SS barrels on the market with the configuration that I am looking for and might go that way.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Those Black Hole barrels are great barrels. AR Performance has a 16" 1/8 6 grove .223 Wylde melonite treated barrel for $149. I've never seen a barrel that cheap on this website before. I have 4 of his barrels from .223, 6.8 and 270AR. All shoot 1/2 MOA when I skip the coffee and with my reloads. He has recently changed the thread from 5/8" to 1/2" on the .223 Wylde barresl so that may affect accuracy somewhat. But those barrels will shoot 55 and 62 gr ammo fine. Where they'll really shine is with the heavier bullets 69 to 77 grs. Only negative is you can clean the barrel with Bull Frog since that will affect the melonite finish.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/32015

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    So I know nothing about the Wylde chambered barrels and have read a little about them. Is there nothing but an upside to this or is there a downside. I read about improved accuracy in shooting 556 rounds through them but if they are that great whya re they not the only source of barrels for this round?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    So I know nothing about the Wylde chambered barrels and have read a little about them. Is there nothing but an upside to this or is there a downside. I read about improved accuracy in shooting 556 rounds through them but if they are that great whya re they not the only source of barrels for this round?

No downside to a wylde chamber.
    Throat is slightly shorter than a 5.56.
    This lessens the "jump" from chamber to lands in both 5.56 and .223 rounds.
    Also rated for both cartridges.

It's really just an in between.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The AR-15 is effective and accurate out to 600 yards. Perhaps the distance is even further, but that's all I can swear to.

Most of the posts here, judge performance of a 1:7 twist rifle shooting 55 grain projectiles at the short end of the rifle performance then generalize that performance at greater distances will be similar. That's not realistic any more than shooting a BB out of the barrel at 10 feet and concluding that performance at greater distances will be similar.

Flash

Last edited:

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Looking at my copy of Bryan Litz's "Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shootng", I see he gives strong stability factor ratings to all the .224 caliber bullets he has data for between 50 and 55 grains in 1:7" twist barrels. He states "Stability Factor above 1.4 indicates good stability." Examples; 52 grain SMK - 4.01, 55 grain Sierra FMJ - 3.65, 55 grain Nosler BT - 3.00, 55 grain Hornady Vmax - 2.94. He even rates the 40 grain Hornady Vmax at 3.44. (These are all what he calls "nominal" ratings.)
    I'm guessing that if these rating showed the bullet to be "unstable" then accuracy would be out of the question. However, it still doesn't mean your rifle will like it and be accurate with the round.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    No downside to a wylde chamber.
    Throat is slightly shorter than a 5.56.
    This lessens the "jump" from chamber to lands in both 5.56 and .223 rounds.
    Also rated for both cartridges.

It's really just an in between.

Dumb question is that its ok for 556 ammo then? If I had a choice between a wylde or a 556 chambered barrle and all other specs were identical I should go with the Wylde because it will be more accurate? Will it last the same?

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dumb question is that its ok for 556 ammo then? If I had a choice between a wylde or a 556 chambered barrle and all other specs were identical I should go with the Wylde because it will be more accurate? Will it last the same?

Yes, in my opinion and experience.
    No reason it won't last as well as a 5.56 chambered barrel of same materials.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

no upside, the downside is that they can show signs of over pressuring with 5.56 spec ammo, seems to be a problem with "lower end" barrels like RRA.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde

"The .223 Wylde hybrid chamber was designed by Bill Wylde of Greenup, Illinois, to exploit the accuracy advantages of the .223 Remington chambering without pressure problems or compromising the functional reliability of semi-auto weapons like the AR-15 family when using 5.56×45mm NATO military ammunition.[2] Coincidentally, it shoots the relatively long and heavy 80-grain (5.18 g) bullets commonly used in the Sport Rifle Competition very well and is one of the preferred chambers for that use. The Wylde chamber is used by a few rifle manufacturers who sell "National Match" configuration AR-15 rifles, barrels, and upper receivers."

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    So with the change in markets I am curious as to what experience TGT members have with shooting 55 grain factory ammo (M193) through a 16" carbine barrel. I am not interested in getting into heavier bullets but rather checking to see if I can get by with a 1/7 twist barrel (16") while shooting 55gr (M193) bullets. I do have some 62gr M855 ammo that I do not shoot regularly so I am again not interested in buying equipment to suit that round.

Will "all" 1/7 barrels reliably shoot 55 grain M193 ammunition?
    It is the only tactical barrel twist rate for 5.56x45.

If you're not a tactical ninja operator you can use a different twist rate.

IT HAS BEEN SPOKEN

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde

"The .223 Wylde hybrid chamber was designed by Bill Wylde of Greenup, Illinois, to exploit the accuracy advantages of the .223 Remington chambering without pressure problems or compromising the functional reliability of semi-auto weapons like the AR-15 family when using 5.56×45mm NATO military ammunition.[2] Coincidentally, it shoots the relatively long and heavy 80-grain (5.18 g) bullets commonly used in the Sport Rifle Competition very well and is one of the preferred chambers for that use. The Wylde chamber is used by a few rifle manufacturers who sell "National Match" configuration AR-15 rifles, barrels, and upper receivers."

Consider the fact that no 3rd party testing has been able to prove that one is more accurate than the other, and many people who own both have not reported any difference.

What spec the chamber is cut to doesn't matter so much as it being cut concentricly. Even if there is a difference, you aren't going to see it in an AR-15

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    One of the big reasons why people claim that .223 wylde is more accurate is because of the leade, which on the wylde, is shorter than the 5.56. That is true, but you have to keep in mind that the short leade of the .223 wylde doesn't help in an ar. In a bolt gun, where you can seat the bullets out as far as you want, it helps, but in a gas operated rifle, the bullet has to be seated to a particular maximum cartridge length, which means there's still plenty of bullet jump; the maximum cartridge length effectively adds to the freebore length, compared to what you can get when loading for a bolt action rifle.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Like others have said, the .223 Wydle is the best of both worlds. It gives you the better accuracy of the .223 round but can safely shoot the 5.56 Nato without the pressure spikes you'd get with a .223 chamber. My own personal experience is based on the 4 .223/5.56 ARs I own. Two have the .223 Wydle chambers, one has a 5.56 chamber and the fourth I'm not sure what it has since it has no markings on the barrel and it's 20+ years old. (It's probably a .223 chambered barrel designed to shoot FMJ ammo common back then.) I've been able to easily work up loads with the .223 Wydle chambered that can shoot 1/2 MOA with 24 grs of Varget and 69+ gr HPBT bullets. CFE is giving me similar results too. It's a different story with the other two ARs. I reserve those ARs for blasting mil spec ammo or cheap steel case FMJ ammo since that ammo not very accurate anyway. I could probably find a more accurate loads for the other ARs but I got tired of looking. My .223 Wydle ARs also shoot Nato and steel case ammo more accurately too. So, the .223 Wydle is the best of both worlds IMO. And it's what I'd buy if buying a barrel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom