ARJ Defense ad

18 year old son carrying shotgun in truck ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj long

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    north texas
    I am totally against him carrying his shotgun unless he is going to shot that day. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with carrying it all the time. can anyone offer advice either way ?
    Target Sports

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I am totally against him carrying his shotgun unless he is going to shot that day. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with carrying it all the time. can anyone offer advice either way ?

Buy him a pistol. He is an adult, and has a right to defend himself.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Make sure he knows everytime he passes within 1000 feet of a school he commits a Federal Felony. If he pulls into a Post Office, he commits a Federal Felony, etc.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    This being Texas it would be only right to buy him a rack for his pickup to put in in.

My son was carrying either/both a 1911 & Ruger GP101 .357 in his car before turning 21. Along with assorted shotguns & rifles if going out to the farms.
    Took his CHL class a month before turning 21.

You need to relax.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Make sure he knows everytime he passes within 1000 feet of a school he commits a Federal Felony. If he pulls into a Post Office, he commits a Federal Felony, etc.

Is it different with a shotgun than a handgun? I dont think that applies if the firearm is in the vehicle. Otherwise everyone who had a gun in their car would be committing a federal felony 90% of the time in most major cities. If this is law it certainly inst enforced.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    This being Texas it would be only right to buy him a rack for his pickup to put in in.

My son was carrying either/both a 1911 & Ruger GP101 .357 in his car before turning 21. Along with assorted shotguns & rifles if going out to the farms.
    Took his CHL class a month before turning 21.

You need to relax.

This IS Texas. He does need a gun rack.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is it different with a shotgun than a handgun? I dont think that applies if the firearm is in the vehicle. Otherwise everyone who had a gun in their car would be committing a federal felony 90% of the time in most major cities. If this is law it certainly inst enforced.

Type of firearm does not matter. CHLs are exempt. If gun is locked in trunked you would be exempt but it seened he was going to be carrying on or about his person in the cab.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    To my knowledge this isnt enforced. I dont think a person carrying under MPA could cross San Antonio and comply with this law. Not sure about other cities in Texas.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    To my knowledge this isnt enforced. I dont think a person carrying under MPA could cross San Antonio and comply with this law. Not sure about other cities in Texas.

People are prosecuted for it all the time, so it is enforced. Granted it is hard to detect, but just because you have a high probability of committing a Federal felony undetected does not mean you should do it.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Now I feel like keeping an AR in my passenger seat when I go places lol. Except it would probably get stolen or reported to the cops by an ignorant lib if I got out and left it in the car.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    small town with few out of towners, I wouldnt think twice about having a gun or two in a rack but nowadays, especially in the city with more crimes of opportunity committed, he's running a high risk of theft of his gun, truck, etc. A compromise might be one of those fabric type "racks" that hold guns behind the seats.

like this...

seat-back-gun-rack-1.jpg

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    As far as it being enforced, I've never seen it. Hell, I used to have a racked deer rifle in my truck every morning i pulled into school during deer season. The campus PD never bothered me about it.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    It's not a Texas law, it's federal.

Even off duty LEO that don't have a CHL are not exempt.

Check out Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly, the feds dont drive around school zones enforcing this. Ive only herd a few cases where someone was cited for it and it was in conjunction with other offenses like selling drugs. There are plenty of other obscure laws that aren't enforced either and I dont feel the need to jump into those. I dont read the police blogger daily or anything but I dont hear about people getting busted for this. Its not the first time this topic has come up either.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Yeah +1 on that I carry compact on myself, plus a full size 9mm in drivers seat and an AR + 20 Mags in trunk locked. And range day makes my car totally heavy.
    Now I feel like keeping an AR in my passenger seat when I go places lol. Except it would probably get stolen or reported to the cops by an ignorant lib if I got out and left it in the car.

Top Bottom