Guns International

18 year old son carrying shotgun in truck ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    How about a better list...

How many people in this country DO NOT carry in their vehicle (in states where its legal) because of this law. Remember 1000' from a school zone is pretty much the entirety of most cities and outlying areas in this country. Not all laws are just.

1) Renegade ( I do not violate Federal Law.)
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    BATFE agent told me that based on his experience. If you follow gun arrests (I read the Press Releases from US Attornie office for over a decade now, you will see it is generally true. Fed gun, etc., charges more often start with a local contact. Olofson, McVeigh, you name it. Whether it is 99, 98 92, or whatever could vary but the point is made).

As I already pointed out Lopez cases was started by a NON-LEO. I bet Lopez though the chances of him running into a Federal Law were low so he was safe.

But it is really just mental masturbation arguing over who can/does make federal arrests.

The bottom line is is a violation of FEDERAL LAW, a FELONY. Who on this list is advocating it is OK to commit FEDERAL FELONIES because the chance of arrest is low? Let's get them on record:

1)
    2)
    3)

Pretty unenforceable when the majority of people enforcing it are also violators...

sj long

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    north texas
    I asked the question to see how other parents felt about this issue, not to find out if it is legal. I'll try to state it better. Do other parents allow there 18 year old sons carry a shotgun in there truck, and we don't live in the country we live in a suburb of Fort Worth

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I asked the question to see how other parents felt about this issue, not to find out if it is legal. I'll try to state it better. Do other parents allow there 18 year old sons carry a shotgun in there truck, and we don't live in the country we live in a suburb of Fort Worth

Sorry to hijack your thread, you did state he did not think "anything wrong with carrying it all the time" and you seemed against and were looking for more reasons. I have found violating Federal Law, losing your gun rights and going to prison to be a good example of what is wrong with it. Others have pointed out the chances of getting caught are a low, so tell him to go for it. What could go wrong?

I am totally against him carrying his shotgun unless he is going to shot that day. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with carrying it all the time. can anyone offer advice either way ?

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm not a parent so my advise may be worthless to you.

If it's his truck its his decision. If its your truck he's driving its your decision.

Leaving it in plain view is gona lead to theft and its pretty much useless as a self defense tool. Ever try to shoulder a shotgun inside a vehicle? Your son needs a pistol...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Renegade please don't use the phrase "Professional Courtesy" as an excuse for not doing your duty. I see that phrase as nothing more than "Police Corruption". When you don't enforce and ignore another person breaking a law simply because of their profession it is wrong. I am not naive enough to not think it happens every day, but please..................

This law is nothing more than a piling on law. It was put in place as a feel good law, and it just gives the prosecutors more options to charge an individual. These are getting popular these days, whether is a hate crime or something else. It's all an attempt to take one already illegal action and multiply the charges and penalties.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    If you (Dad) are totally against it then that tells me that you do not think your son has the maturity to carry the shotgun responsibly. Go with your gut and common sense and try to talk him out of it. I know that is easier said than done with a teenager.

The other thing I would worry about is your son's friends. Are any of them under 18? Are they responsible? Have they been taught about gun safety? IMO it is pretty much impossible to know these answers so I would tell your son no. Teens are easily led astray by their friends and never think anything will go wrong.

Also, Ft. Worth and its suburbs have had a huge increase in population and a lot of them are from anti gun states up north or California. They retain that mentality and your son will alarm one of them and give both of you hell about it.

Good Luck!

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    It all depends on your sons maturity level, brains, and gun saviness. Everything you've read on here doesn't amount to a hill of beans if your son happens to be a knucklehead.
    lol, not saying your son is, or anything of that nature.
    You are the Dad, therefore the best one to make the decision.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I wouldn't carry one open, in a truck. I doubt it would last a week without it growing legs and walking out a window.

Look, you know your kid, use your own judgement... And who's paying for truck, gas, insurance etc?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    What foes he want to carry in the truck? Is he the kind just looking to get a reaction from officers when stopped and prove he "knows" stuff? Like others said, who's vehicle?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom