• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    My next purchase is going to be one of these classic American firearms.

Should I risk the wrath of wifey and drop almost $1,300 on a Texas made quality STI Trojan knowing full well it will hold it's resale value if the need arises?

OR

Should I pick up a basic Rock Island, Tisas, or Auto Ordinance for under $550?

The primary use will be range time and home defense.

Does anyone have good or bad things to say about the 3 lower priced brands I have narrowed it down to?

Thanks as usual for any input you might be able to offer.

MK

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    I have a friend with a Tisas that has no problems. He bought it second hand and has had it a few months.

I have another friend that swears by para. He has 2 Para 1911s and has had them for years with no problems.
    Target Sports

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Whatever you buy - run the Wilson combat mags. I used another brand 2 that was 10rd. I can't remember the brand but it was quality too. I sold my 1911 because I shot it too much and range trips got too pricey.

ammo fun fact- blazer steel ran flawlessly before I sold it. I had the Springfield loaded and mostly ran PMC or Winchester 100rd bulk packs. The Remington UMC did not function as good as the other ammo I used. monarch brass ran good also but was 2x dirtier. I had no ftf or fte from a dirty 1911 but it would turn my forearms gray and dirty.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have nothing but good things to say about Rock Island...but then again, it's the only 1911 I've owned, so take that with a grain of salt. I can tell you I've had no problems with my 1911A1 out of the box.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I know that there are LOTS of 1911 brands out there and I appreciate the other brand suggestions.

If I am going to go almost "all in", I want to support a Texas company, hence the STI. Baers, Wilson, etc. are completely out of the range at the moment.

If I am going "budget", I want something plain that will go bang every time.

I am leaning towards the Rock Island at the moment, but will decide by the end of the week.

I will be better able to justify the Rock, if it comes down to it.

ya wont be sorry. Rock tacs run about 489.00 + tax
    520.00 walk off. If you get the rock, they like to run wet, till you get the sids lapped.
    Side note! All my rocks (back when ammo was cheap) i took them out and ran 500 rds flat.
    Just a basic clean, ie: just wiping the carbon off the feed ramp.
    They ran all but one took the beatin.
    The only one i sent to the super secret location. Was the 4 in.
    Sent in. Back in 1.5 wks. They polished the feed ramp. Heavier recoil, that was it,

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Which 1911 should I buy? Now that's the kind of dilemma I enjoy. Go with the STI, for it's quality, customer service and Texas cachet.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    IF you can find a used Colt, I'd get that. Otherwise, the Rocks work very well and are reliable. And you can get a RIA AND a whole case of ammo. plus an armful of mags. for it for the price of the STI. Don't get me wrong, if I COULD afford the STI, I just might. But being budget minded, I'd most likely start off with the Rock Island G.I. model.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Springfield Range Officer. A friend of mine shoots bullseye in the expert class with one right out of the box. You dont need to spend a grand if a 700 dollar gun shoots better than you.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    IF you can find a used Colt, I'd get that. Otherwise, the Rocks work very well and are reliable. And you can get a RIA AND a whole case of ammo. plus an armful of mags. for it for the price of the STI. Don't get me wrong, if I COULD afford the STI, I just might. But being budget minded, I'd most likely start off with the Rock Island G.I. model.

Good point on feeding this thing. Definitely leaning RIA at this point.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Springfield Range Officer. A friend of mine shoots bullseye in the expert class with one right out of the box. You dont need to spend a grand if a 700 dollar gun shoots better than you.

+1. My RO f'king rocks. Excellent trigger, accuracy better than my shaky ass hands are. I shoot it better than any handgun I have except for the 22/45. Has a bit more recoil though. For the $750 I paid for it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    If you don't plan on modifying it, Rock is the best value. IIRC the lower end STI are built on the same frame as the Rock. I have no issues with the used Rock i traded for.

I would not own a Kimber due to all the problems I have seen other people have with them recently.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I highly recommend you look at the Springfield line. I have been associated with the Springfield 1911 line since I got out of the Army back in 1968. Owned a few dozen over the years since.
    It is my firm belief that Springfield offers the best bang for your buck, so to speak. My favorite is a stainless "Loaded" model I own. It has over 30,000 rounds through it and it still shoots lights out [assuming I do my part]. I replaced the recoil spring at 10k and again at 20k but everything else is original.
    Now is a good time to be buying a 1911. It seems there is a glut on the market. The overall prices of 1911s [at least in the Dallas area] has gone down. Two years ago I bought a Springfield Trophy Match. It was $1,495 + tax at the time. I saw a brand new one at the last Dallas Gun Show. The vendor had it priced at $1,295.

Buy what you like, but I recommend you at least look at the Springfield line. You can get a really nice 1911 for under $1,000. A word of caution though, whatever you decide to buy will not be the only 1911 you will ever own. They are addictive. I currently own 8 1911s (Colts, Springfields, and one 3" bargain gun that will only shoot 230 grain ball ammo) down from my previous 20. I had to make room for the older S&W P/R revolvers I have been buying up since last August.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I highly recommend you look at the Springfield line. I have been associated with the Springfield 1911 line since I got out of the Army back in 1968. Owned a few dozen over the years since.
    It is my firm belief that Springfield offers the best bang for your buck, so to speak. My favorite is a stainless "Loaded" model I own. It has over 30,000 rounds through it and it still shoots lights out [assuming I do my part]. I replaced the recoil spring at 10k and again at 20k but everything else is original.
    Now is a good time to be buying a 1911. It seems there is a glut on the market. The overall prices of 1911s [at least in the Dallas area] has gone down. Two years ago I bought a Springfield Trophy Match. It was $1,495 + tax at the time. I saw a brand new one at the last Dallas Gun Show. The vendor had it priced at $1,295.

Buy what you like, but I recommend you at least look at the Springfield line. You can get a really nice 1911 for under $1,000. A word of caution though, whatever you decide to buy will not be the only 1911 you will ever own. They are addictive. I currently own 8 1911s (Colts, Springfields, and one 3" bargain gun that will only shoot 230 grain ball ammo) down from my previous 20. I had to make room for the older S&W P/R revolvers I have been buying up since last August.
    I owned the loaded parkerized. After 1000rds it was broke in beautiful. Slide on frame was like polished glass smooth. Best trigger I ever pulled. Mine had an over travel adjustment screw. I spent $790 after the shop cut me a deal off sticker.
    I also own a ruger 22/45 with some work done. I need the vq trigger kit to see if it could come close to the loaded's trigger.
    I was hoping to get a range officer when I got the loaded but they sold their last range officer just before I showed up. I like the sights on the loaded more. Tritium and white dots. Recoil spring was very tight at first but broke in nicely.
    I put it on the bags and shot it off the bench a few times and it was stupid accurate.

Top Bottom