• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Factory Kimber(not Kimber pro) and Ruger Mags are cheaply made; I’ve seen some with rough inner walls that can stick a follower. Also Clean your Mags Every 500 rounds or as needed. Grit/carbon likes to grind followers to a halt

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...
    Gun Zone Deals

JLBTEX18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    The moon
    I thought about the mags as the issue. However, my Ruger Officer and my Kimber 9mm are both new firearms. The Kimber has approx. 500 rounds through it. The Ruger less than 100. Additionally I ordered extra mags for both. I number my mags with a sharpie pen and rotate them at the range. I do check for dirty mags as I clean the weapons. I am wondering if there is an issue because the firearms have not been completely broken in.
    I am thinking about ordering a mag from Wilson Combat for each weapon to rule out the problem being with the factory mags.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've had my fair share of issues with 1911s, mostly due to the fact I'm left handed, but never like what you describe .

JLBTEX18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    The moon
    What I don't understand is why companies like Ruger and Kimber that have good reputations and make a good product will cheapen their reputations by using cheap mags. Its like the Ford dealer selling me my F150 Lariat with bald tires.
    Just ordered 2 Wilson Combat ETM mags for the Officer. Can't wait to get my mitts on them and see if this solves the problem.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got 2 RIAs. One in .45 that has never had loose rounds in the factory mag.

The other is .22TCM and probably no apllicable, but doesn't do it either.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I own a few dozen 1911s. Mostly Colts and Springfield models. I have never experienced the problem you are having. Since it happens on more than one of your pistols, I would save it is user error.

I never use the factory mags that come with any of my 1911s. I rely on WC for all of my mag needs.
    A top quality mag will generally solve most of the issue a 1911 may have.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I thought about the mags as the issue. However, my Ruger Officer and my Kimber 9mm are both new firearms. The Kimber has approx. 500 rounds through it. The Ruger less than 100. Additionally I ordered extra mags for both. I number my mags with a sharpie pen and rotate them at the range. I do check for dirty mags as I clean the weapons. I am wondering if there is an issue because the firearms have not been completely broken in.
    I am thinking about ordering a mag from Wilson Combat for each weapon to rule out the problem being with the factory mags.

I learned long ago to put the factory mags back in the box and leave them there. Especially Kimbers junk. I run Wilsons/Chip Mc's exclusively and have not experienced a mag related issue in a long long time.

The mag box has over 30 of each in it and they get cycled.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What I don't understand is why companies like Ruger and Kimber that have good reputations and make a good product will cheapen their reputations by using cheap mags. Its like the Ford dealer selling me my F150 Lariat with bald tires.
    Just ordered 2 Wilson Combat ETM mags for the Officer. Can't wait to get my mitts on them and see if this solves the problem.
    I agree and think you did the right thing by ordering some Wilson Combat mags.

Let us know how it goes.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    They do it because the "bean counters" tell them to. It is a highly competitive market and gun manufacturers will do anything to save money where they can. Look at the "press fit" 1911 barrels. They work ok, but I much prefer the one piece machined barrels in my 1911s.
    I have a couple of WC mags that I use in my Springfield "Loaded". The "Loaded" has had over 30,000 rounds down the pipe and the two WC mags have fed every round. I have never experienced an issue with either mag. Oh, that was 30,000 rounds over a 15 year period which makes the mags even more amazing.
    Yes, they are that good.

JLBTEX18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    The moon
    They do it because the "bean counters" tell them to. It is a highly competitive market and gun manufacturers will do anything to save money where they can. Look at the "press fit" 1911 barrels. They work ok, but I much prefer the one piece machined barrels in my 1911s.
    I have a couple of WC mags that I use in my Springfield "Loaded". The "Loaded" has had over 30,000 rounds down the pipe and the two WC mags have fed every round. I have never experienced an issue with either mag. Oh, that was 30,000 rounds over a 15 year period which makes the mags even more amazing.
    Yes, they are that good.
    Glad to know that WC mags are that good. My friend had a WC 1911 but he has a lot more money than I do. Fine firearm. He kept it at a distance when showing it to me so that I wouldn't rust it by drooling on it. He only used WC mags.
    I know that the "bean counters" have influence, but WC mags are not any more expensive that Kimber or Ruger mags. If I am laying out almost $1000 for a pistol another $10 is not going to change my buying decision.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I agree, but this is a mass production issue.
    Let's say Springfield makes 5,000 "loaded" 1911s per year and they can save $10 per gun by using cheap mags.
    That is $50,000 more profit on just that one model. Spread that out to include all of the models they make per year, it could be a sizeable amount of money.
    Yes it is only $10 to you and me, but hundreds of thousands of dollars to the manufacturer.
    I have a lot of 1911A1 pistols, but only six or eight WC mags. They interchange with all of my 45 ACP pistols, so I carry only a few in my range bag. Usually one would be enough, but I take a couple for spares just in case.
    You can use what you want, but WC is my go to mag for all of my 1911s. 45ACP as well as my 9mm 1911s.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    However, I have several Springfield 1911 magazines and they feed ball Ammo just fine!

I tend to lean towards Chip McCormick mags myself, which as I understand will soon be Wilson Mags Anyway...

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    :usflag:
    Glad to know that WC mags are that good. My friend had a WC 1911 but he has a lot more money than I do. Fine firearm. He kept it at a distance when showing it to me so that I wouldn't rust it by drooling on it. He only used WC mags.
    I know that the "bean counters" have influence, but WC mags are not any more expensive that Kimber or Ruger mags. If I am laying out almost $1000 for a pistol another $10 is not going to change my buying decision.

When Kimber (EEeewwwweeeee) puts their mags in the box they have far less invested than if they had bought a decent mag. Chips, WC's, even Trip will out perform about any factory mag you get in the box with a new 1911. The Springer offerings work well enough and I do run them in my single stack 10mm 1911's and they do feed. I mainly run these guns at the range. If I carry one it is filled with a dedicated 10mm mag but honestly the .45 ACP mags feed the 10mm rounds just fine.

But I digress.......:usflag:

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    To the OPs original question ... I have a pair of follow-up points.

The fact that you are experiencing this across several 1911s leads me to wonder how your mags are loaded, Have you seated the rounds squarely to the back of the magazine? I do this by swinging a loaded mag against the palm of my hand or shooting bench to ensure I'm feeding my 1911s properly aligned rounds. My 22TCM for example loads 9mm rounds into 38 Super magazines and will not feed reliably without slipping the rounds to the back.

Finally, I missed it if the magazines popping their top rounds were identified. I was looking to learn how the mags are constructed because it can absolutely affect top round retention. There is a big difference in feed lip contact between GI feed lips and Wadcutter feed lips. Checkmate does a decent description of the differences here: http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/i...ntent&view=article&id=314&Itemid=367#Feed_Lip.

As far as my mag choice - I try to stick with the ones that work and those that don't get dropped into the gun junk bin. My last purchase was 10mm Sig 1911 magazines on clearance from Midway - I happened to know that the 10mm Sig mags were supplied by Wilson Combat and it's hard to pass up $10 WC 1911 magazines.

@ZX9RCAM ... my Silverback is running from a 45ACP Checkmate Mag right now. I usually run Metalform flush fits, but I don't know where I stashed those. Conversely, the Silverback will not run from 10mm Mecgar flush fits.

Last edited:

JLBTEX18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    The moon
    OK. Figured it out (I think). Got my WC mags today. Mags load all 8 rounds easily.
    The Ruger mag spring is so heavy that even with a maglula loader the 8th round will not go in.
    When the first round is chambered using the Ruger mags the second round is pulled 2/3 out of magazine. When I remove the mag the point of the bullet on the second round is dragging on the inside of the mag well which loosens it and allows it to fall free. Same thing with Kimber mags. The Ruger and Kimber mags are going into the Armageddon box. You guys were right. WC mags are daylight and dark different from Ruger and Kimber mags.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    OK. Figured it out (I think). Got my WC mags today. Mags load all 8 rounds easily.
    The Ruger mag spring is so heavy that even with a maglula loader the 8th round will not go in.
    When the first round is chambered using the Ruger mags the second round is pulled 2/3 out of magazine. When I remove the mag the point of the bullet on the second round is dragging on the inside of the mag well which loosens it and allows it to fall free. Same thing with Kimber mags. The Ruger and Kimber mags are going into the Armageddon box. You guys were right. WC mags are daylight and dark different from Ruger and Kimber mags.

Wouldnt fib about something this important......:bring:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Glad you got it figured out.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015

Your welcome - as I believe that's what I said was happening in post #3.

Top Bottom