• ...and so much more!
  • echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Hi Texans,

In December of 1968, I drove with my buddy's Mexican family (the Huerta's) from Fremont, Kali to Kingsville, non stop. I was still in high school and it was our Christmas break. They were from there, his dad had transferred to Alameda Naval Air Station when they closed a base in Corpus Christi in the early '60's. While we were in Kingsville, his uncle, who was the same age as us, had a friend who's dad was a foreman on the King Ranch, got us permission to hunt on their dirt. We could only take rabbits and Javalina, and were told not to disturb the deer stands. We drove for 2 hours (still on Ranch property), getting to where ever at dusk to spend the night. The next morning we got after it. I was using a borrowed Remington pump .22, I don't know what model but it was brand new and quite unique. It had blonde furniture and was bronzed instead of blued. Back home I had a Mossberg M44 US & a Savage 24, .22-410.

In those days I could see good and was very quick to acquire. There were six of us and we all split up. Right of the bat I started to jump Jacks, and knocked them down. Then I started to flush cotton tails and was knocking them out too. I was shooting quite a bit and one of the Caballeros came over to see what the commotion was about. By then I had a couple stringers of cotton tails, and when he showed up, I had jut shot one and it fell back in a burrow. I reached in to get it and he ran up and stopped me, "Nada chingon, Gila Monsters or rattlin snakes" he says. He was surprised that I had so many cotton tails already. I told him that I had shot a mess of Jacks too, but left them. He said to get the Jack as well, they'd make tamales out of those. By the end of the day, as a group we'd taken over 200 rabbits and a Javalina. I killed 112 bunnies on my own, not counting the early Jacks left behind.

As was their custom, we took all the game to a Brujo. It was just like the scene in La Bamba (but before the movie), snake heads, skins, and pelts strung along a barbed wire fence. He dressed out the game, kept the hides, and they gave him a shank of Javalina. All the home boys couldn't believe I kilt so may critters and really took kindly toward me. They nick named me Pancho a la Pena. I don't remember much after that we drank a lot of Tequila. PAX
    ARJ Defense ad

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Thank Guys, it was truly a benchmark memory and a fantastic experience.

I never met the dad. The eldest in our group got instructions from him in Spanish, and he was off. At 16 I was the youngster in the bunch.

I didn't meet the uncle whose rifle I used either. A cousin, his son, who came with gave me the gun to use.

It was the 1st time that I'd been out of Kali and was a cultural eye opener for a teenage hippie.

1968 Texas ain't 2021Texas. PAX

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, a ranch foreman gave his son his keys, and sent you 2 hours deep into the ranch?
    He didn't go with ya'll?

Another thing that is strange, there shouldn't have been any deer stands on the ranch.
    All of the deer hunting at that time was done in vehicles, by guides, and my dad was one of only three.

Maybe he sent ya'll to some private property that bordered the ranch?

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    So, a ranch foreman gave his son his keys, and sent you 2 hours deep into the ranch?
    He didn't go with ya'll?

Another thing that is strange, there shouldn't have been any deer stands on the ranch.
    All of the deer hunting at that time was done in vehicles, by guides, and my dad was one of only three.

Maybe he sent ya'll to some private property that bordered the ranch?

We met the gentleman at the Ranch compound, at the store I think, late in the day during the work week. I have no idea if any keys changed hands, and I don't recall going through any gates or crossing cattle guards. We were in the trailing vehicle, a car, the other guys in front were in a pick up. Besides the store, there was a school and infirmary, mess of buildings, regular little town. I remember driving by their strip. They had a few ships, including a twin.

I have no idea where we went, how far or really precisely how long, we drank a few beers going in, but when we got to where we were going, it was dark. There was a camp site, of sorts, no tables, and there was a dilapidated deer stand within walking distance of the camp. Which, in spite of being told not to mess around with them, me and my buddy climbed in it. When we made camp, there was virtually no real wood for a fire, a lot of brush, no water and fairly flat. It was cold as hell, and all I had been given was a surplus wool blanket. Could've been off site as you suggest. When we got back to Kingsville it was dark as well. Pretty sure it wasn't the first rodeo for the guys I went with, they were old, in their late twenty's.

Must have been cool with your pops as a guide. PAX

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    We met the gentleman at the Ranch compound, at the store I think, late in the day during the work week. I have no idea if any keys changed hands, and I don't recall going through any gates or crossing cattle guards. We were in the trailing vehicle, a car, the other guys in front were in a pick up. Besides the store, there was a school and infirmary, mess of buildings, regular little town. I remember driving by their strip. They had a few ships, including a twin.

I have no idea where we went, how far or really precisely how long, we drank a few beers going in, but when we got to where we were going, it was dark. There was a camp site, of sorts, no tables, and there was a dilapidated deer stand within walking distance of the camp. Which, in spite of being told not to mess around with them, me and my buddy climbed in it. When we made camp, there was virtually no real wood for a fire, a lot of brush, no water and fairly flat. It was cold as hell, and all I had been given was a surplus wool blanket. Could've been off site as you suggest. When we got back to Kingsville it was dark as well. Pretty sure it wasn't the first rodeo for the guys I went with, they were old, in their late twenty's.

Must have been cool with your pops as a guide. PAX

This part is a couple miles past the public entrance, and all sounds correct.
    I can't think of any way to get into the private ranch area without keys.

You might possibly taken a different exit and headed down 141, which cuts through, and both sides of it are ranch property.

Sounds like a really good time.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    It would sure be interesting to find out the uncle's name.
    If he worked there it would be highly likely that I knew him.
    Up until about the age of 12, I spent pretty half my life there at a friend's house.

It would be nice to know who helped us out, like a typical kid, I never thanked the actual person who made it happen or that lent me that fine rifle. I'm thinking they all must have past by now, including my buddy, Rolando Huerta. He and his wife took a transfer from Xerox in Silicone Valley, to San Antonio in the '90s. I went to visit them when I had to shoot video at Texas A&M in Bynum/College Station around '97. The last time I was in Texas ('08?), I was just passing through, moving my son back from SC. 56 hours non stop from Atlanta. A full day from Shreveport to El Paso alone. PAX

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    It never ceases to amaze me how people connect and find out years later.
    We were in Kingsville a couple weeks and went exploring every day. Went into Corpus for a day and the first Friday night we went to a high school garage party. Everyone kinda mingled but the gavachos were inside the garage and the Mexicans stayed mostly outside. When the local ladies found out me and my buddy were from the SF Bay Area, they were all over us. We were cherry picking the chicks, when his uncle came up and asked what we were doing, "Picking up chicks, want some?" was our reply. He said you guys can't do that, and we noticed lines of division were forming up outside. Not wanting any trouble, we broke some hearts and left the girls alone PAX

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom