• RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    still smoke free... 753 days :thumbsup:

Congratulations!

Did you quit cold turkey? The reason I asked is because that is the way I became a non-smoker about 15 or so years ago. I smoked for about 37 years. I know a few others that have been successful at quiting and they all did it cold turkey.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Congratulations!

Did you quit cold turkey? The reason I asked is because that is the way I became a non-smoker about 15 or so years ago. I smoked for about 37 years. I know a few others that have been successful at quiting and they all did it cold turkey.

30 years smoking.
    Cold turkey, 1991.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Congrats on kicking the habit.
    I've tried numerous times over the years. It seems I can make it until I drink a beer, then my will power & temptation kicks in.

I had to quit beer at the same time.
    Likely have not had two beers since 1991.
    Prior to that a six pack a day was not all that unusual.

Don't miss the smokes, but still miss that cold quart of beer on the way home from a hot day's work.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I started smoking in HS but quit in the middle of a cig in my middle 20s and have never looked back or wanted one again.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Congrats on kicking the habit.
    I've tried numerous times over the years. It seems I can make it until I drink a beer, then my will power & temptation kicks in.

The reason why you have been unable to quit is because you have tried to quit. When you tell yourself that you are going to try to quit that gives yourself an out. If you try to do something that means that it is ok to not do it because you were only trying to do it.

When you get ready to stop smoking tell yourself that you no longer want to smoke and that you are going to become a non-smoker. And then just do it.

Becoming a non-smoker was easy for me. And it should be easy for you too as long as you don't try to quit.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The reason why you have been unable to quit is because you have tried to quit. When you tell yourself that you are going to try to quit that gives yourself an out. If you try to do something that means that it is ok to not do it because you were only trying to do it.

When you get ready to stop smoking tell yourself that you no longer want to smoke and that you are going to become a non-smoker. And then just do it.

Becoming a non-smoker was easy for me. And it should be easy for you too as long as you don't try to quit.

Yep, you have some truth there.
    It's all in the will power.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    What convinced me to quit was that I was at work at my desk (we still smoked in the office back then) and I had a clear glass ashtray. My half smoked cig had been sitting in the ashtray while I was doing something and when I went back to it there was an orange-ish slime on the glass ashtray where the cig had been sitting. It finally dawned on the that that crap was in my lungs. I stubbed that cig out and have never picked up another one in 50 years! I can't stand the smell of cig/cigar smoke now.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What convinced me to quit was that I was at work at my desk (we still smoked in the office back then) and I had a clear glass ashtray. My half smoked cig had been sitting in the ashtray while I was doing something and when I went back to it there was an orange-ish slime on the glass ashtray where the cig had been sitting. It finally dawned on the that that crap was in my lungs. I stubbed that cig out and have never picked up another one in 50 years! I can't stand the smell of cig/cigar smoke now.

Non filters/roll your own's would do the same thing to your fingers.

Top Bottom