• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    OK here's the deal, I'm pretty rough with my vehicles and I've decided that owning new cars is really not for, interior-wise anyhow. I'm actually looking at older model blazers and thinking of selling my chevrolet pickup and buying an old 1989 blazer. How much would it cost to throw in a new engine and rebuild the transmission then repaint the the truck like new on the outside? Basically wanting to get an old shabby chevrolet blazer, restore it like new mechnically speaking and give it a new look on the outside. The inside can burn in hell for all I care.
    Texas SOT

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    New gm 350 with warranty (50k) can be had for around $1500. Good trans with warranty can be had for about the same. New transfer case is about $500. Paint it yourself for around $500.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Trans is easy to rebuild. $500 would more than cover parts for a really good overhaul on that. Paint? Paint can go to hell. Who cares how it looks as long as it runs good?

One thing you forgot to factor in is suspension and steering work. Steering gear, tie rods, ball joints, rag joint, and idler arm if it's an IFS truck (not sure if you mean S Blazer or K Blazer). Brakes (including some hydraulics). Wheel bearings. Tires. Universal joints. It's going to need some electrical stuff, I'm sure. Hopefully the differential(s?) is alright. I'm sure the heating and AC system will need some work. A new radiator, fan clutch (though I'd go electric - it'll pay for itself in the long run), some belt-driven stuff like an alternator and water pump.

If you want to take an old beater and turn it into something really reliable, you're talking some big bucks before you even start to worry about how good it looks.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Mike is right, by the time you rebuild one you can buy one that's got most of that already done. I just sold my '87 for $1800 plus a sig. It was mechanically perfect, had the new engine trans and front end work already done. I see them up here on Craigslist all the time for under $3k. I'd look around if you've never rebuilt one. I've spent the last 20 years rebuilding cars and it always cost more than you thought. I do it for fun and because I can't afford two car payments. I don't care what mine looks like as long as it gets me from a to b. the wife gets the new one lol.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    With a budget like that why are you looking at K5's? Unless you just like the body style of course. Just askin, not judging. I personally like square bodies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You should be able to find a restored one for that much in good condition.

I like the square bodies too and have thought about an older diesel suburban for my "expedition" rig.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I have a 2007 chevy silverado and I'm going to clean it up and sell it. It's only got 50k on it so I'm hoping for at least $12k and I've got about $5,200 in the bank so I'll use that. New cars really just are not for me.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    With that kind of budget and a love of square bodies, I'd go with a 6BT or 4BT diesel, TH400, NP205 and have a bullet proof, 25 mpg, go anywhere rig. A DIY4x4 dash, new wiring harness, and a complete overhaul on the suspension as well.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    With your budget, you should be able to find one already "fixed up" and then some.

I had an 1980 K5, its the only car I have owned that I miss, and I have had a lot of cars....... lots and lots....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    OK here's the deal, I'm pretty rough with my vehicles and I've decided that owning new cars is really not for, interior-wise anyhow. I'm actually looking at older model blazers and thinking of selling my chevrolet pickup and buying an old 1989 blazer. How much would it cost to throw in a new engine and rebuild the transmission then repaint the the truck like new on the outside? Basically wanting to get an old shabby chevrolet blazer, restore it like new mechnically speaking and give it a new look on the outside. The inside can burn in hell for all I care.

That is going to cost thousands. I would go with just Maaco or Earl Shieb quality paint job.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    From my experience the factory axles in the k5's suck donkey chode. I had one for 3 years and rebuilt the axles 4 times and I didn't even off road, finally after the 4th set burned up I pulled some d60's out of a dodge and didn't have a problem after that. Also the factory auto locking hubs like to burn up to.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    From my experience the factory axles in the k5's suck donkey chode. I had one for 3 years and rebuilt the axles 4 times and I didn't even off road, finally after the 4th set burned up I pulled some d60's out of a dodge and didn't have a problem after that. Also the factory auto locking hubs like to burn up to.

All auto locking hubs suck. You can usually replace them with manual hubs for half the cost, and have them live forever.

TexasDad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Universal City
    Winchester and Sage have got it right. I friend of mine is working on one now. I helped him replace the front wheel bearings. The bearings are the pressed in sets common on 4wd vehicles. They were $100 a set from Timken. All of the little stuff like that adds up real quick. Another thing that I've noticed gets forgotten regularly when people are thinking about rebuilding older trucks is the electrical system. Especially with any vehicle that is designed to have the top removed. Lots of shorts show up and keeping good grounds can be difficult and time consuming.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    All auto locking hubs suck. You can usually replace them with manual hubs for half the cost, and have them live forever.

I have a 01 ram 2500 4x4 and haven't had a single issue with my auto hubs, the rear diff is a different story I'm on my 3rd but they were under warranty apparently the use a special dodge only fluid.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    ^^ It's a Dodge. 'nuff said. LOL, just giving you a hard time.

Seriously though, manual hubs, D60 front and 14FF for the rear with a cummins under the hood and the K5 could be a beast.

Top Bottom