Capitol Armory ad

2 caliber questions regarding deer and ARs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    1st question:

I gave my dad my lower that i built from a PSA lower and parts that were given to me. I currently have an A1 profile barrel and a bolt carrier (no FA cutouts). he always said he wanted a retro style rifle and these parts were perfect for it. Now, he says he wants something he can mount a scope to (A3 build) and use it for deer hunting.

Has anyone here used a .223/5.56 for deer hunting? i know it can be used but he would have to use heavier loads and be careful with his shots. can a 1/12 twist barrel handle this?

2nd question:

300blk or 6.8spc? im building an AR as well, and when i get the chance i want to build a "hunting upper" that in one of these calibers. i know with 300blk i can use everything i already have just need a barrel. the 6.8 i would need a barrel, a magazine, and a bolt (can use the same carrier).

bonus question: since im poor, building a dedicated upper would take awhile. would it be a bad idea to have a 300blk barrel or 6.8 setup put away for hunting season and just swap barrels back and forth when the time comes?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .223 is a fine caliber for deer but I would prefer a heavier bullet than the 1/12 twist will want to stabilize. If keep my shots within 100 yards and wouldn't try punching through the shoulder. At the right angle a well placed shot should drop them. Or just shoot'em in the head.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    .223 is a fine caliber for deer but I would prefer a heavier bullet than the 1/12 twist will want to stabilize. If keep my shots within 100 yards and wouldn't try punching through the shoulder. At the right angle a well placed shot should drop them. Or just shoot'em in the head.

yea, im thinking of selling the barrel and getting a 1x9 nitride from jse. like i said, its for my pops. the parts were given to me and i gave them to him. he originally wanted old school retro, which was perfect. now he wants a flat top with detachable carry handle so he can mount a scope and take deer hunting. totally flipped the build direction on me.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    My wife's uncle, who owns his own land near Gonzales, Texas has been hunting with a Browning 22-250 and has killed a few deer. Of course, he always goes for a neck shot. So, I'm pretty sure the 5.56/.223 in a heavier bullet (than a 55 grain) should be ok, if you have a well placed shot.

I think with in 100 yards (many be more) the 6.8spc would work great on Texas white tails. Just my $.02

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My opinion on .223/5.56 for deer is: Unless you are perfect with shot placement ( head or neck vertebrae ) you are going to lose a lot of deer. They may die, but miles away from where you shot them.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    My opinion on .223/5.56 for deer is: Unless you are perfect with shot placement ( head or neck vertebrae ) you are going to lose a lot of deer. They may die, but miles away from where you shot them.

this^^^^

i think this is true of any round less than a .270 - which i think is the widely accepted "whitetail round"

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    ^ I agree

That said though, I have let one of my sons take a doe down with his Rossi youth .223 rifle. DRT'd at 125yrds with regular ole FMJ shot was right in the shoulder too. As long as your not looking at an old big deer a 223 is fine.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think many think that need a much more powerful round to take white tail than is really necessary. Try to keep in mind many are not hunting huge trophy bucks that look like the hulk.

I hunted deer with a .243 since I was 12 and never had one run. It's still my go to rifle for deer. I know a LOT of people in my area who started their kids hunting with a .233 because of the mild recoil and have had no problems.

Yes, it has it's limitations and you won't be taking a monster buck at 400 yrds. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be used on an average white tail at 100.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I think many think that need a much more powerful round to take white tail than is really necessary. Try to keep in mind many are not hunting huge trophy bucks that look like the hulk.

I hunted deer with a .243 since I was 12 and never had one run. It's still my go to rifle for deer. I know a LOT of people in my area who started their kids hunting with a .233 because of the mild recoil and have had no problems.

Yes, it has it's limitations and you won't be taking a monster buck at 400 yrds. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be used on an average white tail at 100.

yep. most of them "gotta use this round" for huntin is based on distance and then size. anything within 100yds you should be able to take prolly even with an airgun. we use, 5.56, 243, 270, 30-06, and 308. mainly the first three for hunting. it hasnt been a let down yet.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    A 223 can kill a deer. That said it is not the optimal deer round. Hell a slingshot can kill a deer but that is not a reason to hunt deer with one.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    A couple of points. If you want to stabilize heavier bullets (which would be best for hunting) a 1-7, or at least a 1-8 barrel would be best. IME, which admittedly is some what limited, about 69 gr is the high end on a 1-9 barrel. A 1-12 would be a stretch.

.223 is not the optimum loading for deer sized hunting, but as pointed out, will work with well placed shots, and perhaps being prepared to trail the game, as with bow hunting. The likelihood of a 100+ lb deer falling like it was hit with a 180 gr 30.06 is pretty slim.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't think anyone should hunt white tail with anything less than a .50 BMG and hollow point rounds.

Anything else is not optimal for killing the animal quickly.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A couple of points. If you want to stabilize heavier bullets (which would be best for hunting) a 1-7, or at least a 1-8 barrel would be best. IME, which admittedly is some what limited, about 69 gr is the high end on a 1-9 barrel. A 1-12 would be a stretch.

.223 is not the optimum loading for deer sized hunting, but as pointed out, will work with well placed shots, and perhaps being prepared to trail the game, as with bow hunting. The likelihood of a 100+ lb deer falling like it was hit with a 180 gr 30.06 is pretty slim.

My experience agrees, 69 grain is as heavy as I've been able to really stabilize. Unless you want to shoot really heavy for caliber bullets like 77gr, I'd probably split the difference with a 1:8 barrel.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Already got that.

Sad thing is, I've seen videos of people deer hunting with them and missing or getting bad shots so the deer still ran.

They do make some copper bullets for hunting. Mostly just the bullet, some loaded rounds, all very expensive.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    A .223 will kill a deer stone cold dead.
    Just make sure to use a well constructed bullet like a Barnes or a Nosler Partition.

Stay away from ballistic top rounds, in small calibers they are designed for varmints, not medium game.

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

Top Bottom