Join TexasGunTalk

20 year old sues Dicks and Walmart

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by MuscleCarMan, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No, they aren't infringing on his right. He can still purchase a firearm somewhere else.

If you are banned from TGT has TGT infringed on your right to free speech? No.

He was discriminated against for his age, which would apply whether they used that readon to deny the sale of a firearm or a head of lettuce. The firearm just happens to be the product in question but the product holds no relevance to the law which the case is based on.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Couldn't that gay couple just have gone to a different bakery?

MTA89, busykngt and BRD@66 like this.
  3. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And miss out on publicly slapping down law abiding citizens?

4. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    260cto.jpg

I just got bored and made this up.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    TxStetson likes this.
  5. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've seen evidence that they went out of their way to choose the bakery they did in order to fight with them. And they had already found another that would make the cake before going to the one which refused.

Of course, this guy could have bought his gun somewhere else.

I know some will say the bakery lost so walmart should too. I just can't get behind the idea of flip flopping on my own principles. I'd rather fight to fix the wrongs I see than push to make sure everyone is screwed.

I'm no fan of the decision made by Dicks or Walmart, but I believe there are better ways to deal with such issues than laws which force people to offer products or services against their will or close their doors. I still believe in the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason even though the law disagrees. And I've spent enoigh time thinking about it from different angles that it's become a concrete belief in which the negatives of such systems are far less than the negative impacts of continuing to add protected classes who must be served by unwilling unwilling business owners.

A most basic right is the right to the fruits of our labors, and a business is just that. These ever expanding anti discrimination laws are slowly scraping that right away.

JeepFiend likes this.
  6. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I think Dick's should get sued, just for being, well, dicks.

vmax and AustinN4 like this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    While l agree, he obviously picked Dicks, and Wal-Mart for the same reason as well.

vmax likes this.
  8. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    Love that movie.

vmax likes this.
  9. sharkey

sharkey Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    They sell guns but they will not sell to him based on his age which is legal according to the law. They have infringed on his right to buy a gun (from them if that makes you feel better) and it is relevant because the gun is not just a "product" but a right that is constitutionally protected.

Your analogy about TGT is not relevant because no one on here really has free speech only what the owner and moderators decide. There is no expectation of free speech here. If the stores were not open to the public, maybe I could see it.

There is an expectation to go buy a firearm from a place that sells them to the public if they meet the requirements the law dictates which this person obviously does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The Sheriff is near.

vmax likes this.