2013 Gun Rights Policy Conference in Houston

Discussion in 'Activism' started by benenglish, Sep 27, 2013.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    David Sigale. Chicago gun rights attorney. The McDonald case.
    Big picture issue.
    Ezell v Chicago. Gun range ban case. 7th SC said you can have gun with permit, but you have to get training includes live range truanting . . But all ranges are banned. The city was thumbing its nose at the SC. Set out standard for analyzing cuter 2a cases. The city doesn't just get to parade an imagined parade of terrible consequences. Can't just speculate.

Note te that this is the tactic by governments in oer circuits.

Chicago responded with a range ordinances that is so stringent that no range has opened in the last two years.

moore v madigan. The other 7th court opinion. Ct said the rt to self protection is broader than what the govt argues. Ct. A Chicago citizen has more need of self protection on the street than in his penthouse apt. The state is speculating. This is not sufficient to abridge a constitutional right.

IL carry assoc and IL state rifle association worked to get a concealed carry.

The fallout. The concealed carry law. Moore v. Madigan applies to state per IL Supreme ct. Statue struck as unconstitutional

2. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Migo Temski. Gen counsel SAF. Working to litigate illegal gun laws from the states penal codes. This is a state by state fight. Over 60 laws removed. Many letters from city and state attorneys re not enforcing laws that are illegal. Many city and county codes are not easily searchable or available. Labor intensive endeavor. History of litigation lends weight to letters to city attorneys.

first case was Seattle. Park bAn on legal weapons. Use local groups to research local laws and inform the SAF.

Public records and open records requests.

Public records request exposed the "gun Control play book" creators. And the play book itself. Little requests may find important information.

3. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Emily Miller talking. Wow. 4 mo and c 22 steps to get gun in Washington dc

The fight is not going away

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, my work is done here. ;)

I'll add a couple of points for good measure, anyway. First, many thanks to Sean for covering the proceedings live. That's not my style but it works far better than what I would normally provide, given the format of the conference.

Second, sorry about no pictures today. I had camera problems. If it's any consolation, it looked just like every hotel-hosted conference you've ever seen with a dais, a lecturn, speakers cemented behind the podium, and a room full of people in uncomfortable chairs.

OTOH, the place was lousy with gun-culture celebrities. If you can think of someone who wrote a book or has appeared in a few hundred magazine articles, they were probably there. I met Massad Ayoob, shook his hand, and figured I'd lead off with a joke. It was a lousy joke, apparently. He stared, absolutely stoney-faced, at me like I was infected with radioactive anthrax as I began to slink away. ;)

Alan Gottlieb has the ability to greet and talk to 100+ people per 15-minute break. I don't know how he does it.

The reports on international gun rights struggles were sometimes fun (Canada) and sometimes heartbreaking (Italy) but really drove home the fact that this is a basic human right we're dealing with, one that is routinely trampled by governments all over the world.

If you don't want to lighten your wallet too extensively, stay away from the book store. $230 later, I've got a lot of reading to do, in addition to the 8-inch high stack of books you get for free just for attending.

I'll fix my camera problems tomorrow and try to have some pictures, then do another small write-up tomorrow evening. Sean, I hope you continue to do what you've done so well up-thread. That goes double for the afternoon training session which I'm going to miss due to other obligations.

Bottom line - All the speakers were good. Most were beyond excellent. And a higher percentage than at any conference I can remember right now were downright inspirational. It's too late for those of you who haven't already registered and gone but you're missing a good one. I plan to start going every year, regardless of location.

5. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    This is one of the most relevant conferences I have ever been to.

6. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Eric Reid Rights under assault by mainstream media. Tremendous amount of power. They reach hundreds of millions of people with an uninformed base do knowledge. They use the Brady bunch terms. 2nd is about protecting yourself, not hunting. The cO recall sent the nation and the media a message. If you continue to vote against our right. . Get out.

The media doesn't realize that criminal do t follow the law . .we do, media should encourage the prosecution of criminals, not reporting emotional, non factual memes.

We, as Americans, must be vigilant. We must expose them and fire theistic isms who vote against our rights.

7. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Eric sypien cheaper than dirt content manager. Looked at the defect of social media.

Pilled in 25 million views on YouTube. 2 million looks on Facebook.

Craft Message for phone viewing.

3 E's
    E. Educate give them facts
    E. Engaged. Transfer your views to their views
    E. Entertain them.

Trusted member of community. Keep with facts.
    Don't throw people under the bus.
    It's the younger demographic that we must engage

measure your results I.e. Obamas Cae

test
    measure and
    prove

8. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Beverly. Zaslow Political junkie, politichicks.tv

have to use new media to your benefit. It's fast moving

politics is downstream of culture. Brietbart

glee. Has no normal family relationship. Most popular show. Normalizing abnormal

we tell stories. Film, video, blog, forum. This is what moves people. Pop culture effects thing in the future. I.e. Kardashians and glee.

Csi gary synise. Has photos of Reagan in the background.

Hope and change. Two words and they won two elections

most people in the room have smart phones. Each one is a media center capable of telling a story in all media forms.

as gun activists. We are the most directed group of activists ever. Clear message. Clear goal.

We we can be relevant. Age doesn't matter. Facebook, Twitter, forums, YouTube.

Use youtube, Use social media. Monetize. You'd never know what will go viral. It's a small screen but it moves at lightening speed.

Content is king. Your story is what has to be told.

Beginning, middle and end, protagonist and antagonist.

Inspire to take action, give them actionable items.

Words, tweets, blogs, posts

9. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Q & A. Preaching to the choir. Reaching the non core

beverly zaslow

stick with facts

appeal to people's emotions

approach from a non partisan perspective.

We are trying to sway the people on the fence

not going to convince the far left

Andrew.

Use Facebook. Your friend repost
    Look at conservative oriented non gun owners

aviation groups

look at interests of people in your group and see where their interest overlap

CTD q'd on hiking prices. 100-200 online sales. Normal., sandy hook, saw standard bump, them Obama spoke and they went to 1 gun every 2-3 second. Inventory updated every 15 minutes. Sold 2500 guns after Obama speech to next morning. They had to remove from website ar sales.

Social side lide went crazy. Accusations went crazy. System could not handle volume. Normal traffic 180k a day, Some days 750k people visited website

Peter . Avoid inciting and incendiary language. Less polarizing. Make sure message will not push people Way. We don't want to push people away especially those in the middle.

Eric. Passion. Can't fake this. You must feel it.

10. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Peggy tartaro.

Lives in New York. Gun owners there aren't pro rights like we are. They are pro gun. Though. We are all in trouble together. We may look and sound different, but we are all in trouble. Find common ground and build off that.

Remember, you are not always going to make converts to your brand. But find the common ground and build off that.

you never know who's going to be on our side.