ARJ Defense ad

2015: breakingcontact national year of pistol training!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoothrewpoo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Dripping Springs
    If you're near Dripping Springs, Phil Waldron of OneWarrior puts on great pistol training classes. The classes are led by "real" former Tier One operators... Not mall ninjas. I've taken several classes (with another tomorrow), and it has greatly improved my abilities.

Phil is a good dude (also happens to be my neighbor), and I'd recommend him highly.
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    just a tip, BC, you will look sort of gey running a pistol course while tea cupping.
    Check yourself.... well.. you know

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Basic Pistol 2 class through KR Training. Just 4 hours, but that makes it affordable. I plan on taking several this year.

I am probably starting a bit below where I "could" start, but crawl, walk, run, right?

I want to make sure I get the basics down and I respect the fundamentals so that's where I'm starting and will go from there.

You almost have to take the beginner class for each instructor. They always get funny about "terminology" , no one can teach like I teach-type mentality, and one course builds on the next type thing. So be careful about thinking you'll be able to skip from instructor to instructor taking advanced pistol courses. It's just been my experience they want you take ALL the classes from them.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You almost have to take the beginner class for each instructor. They always get funny about "terminology" , no one can teach like I teach-type mentality, and one course builds on the next type thing. So be careful about thinking you'll be able to skip from instructor to instructor taking advanced pistol courses. It's just been my experience they want you take ALL the classes from them.

Im sure. This is local. It is affordable. So it is where im starting. Instead of another year of looking at classes that are too far away, that I cannot afford, I signed up for a class.

Per their prerequisites I could have taken one class above this but chose not to. They have multiple instructors and guest instructors like Ben Stoeger.

Ill report here how the class went, what I learned and if I thought the time and money were worth it.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I absolutely agree. I was just pointing out what I've observed in the past. It just seems that instructors are always biased towards other instructors. Some act like you have no transferable skills unless they blessed you with them.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I absolutely agree. I was just pointing out what I've observed in the past. It just seems that instructors are always biased towards other instructors. Some act like you have no transferable skills unless they blessed you with them.
    Yeah...I know some folks only think there are a few trainers out there worth going to. They happen to be the big names in the industry and typically charge a lot so then people like me hear that and don't take any classes.

It is a weird industry and sychophantic belief in one trainer or training camp runs pretty deep it seems. I think I know the ones to stay away from, the dangerous ones the ones with shady practices or backgrounds so ill avoid them as much as ill avoid the big name high dollar classes, for different reasons.

I know that everyone with any kind of credential or experience, whether real or imagined is now running around out there calling themselves a "gunfighting trainer" as well. Im talking about pukes like YOU, Cory, from Range Time with Cory and Erika. Lie about military service and take a class from Yeager. Boom! A trainer is born!

So anyways. Im doing what I can. Crawling towards proficiency.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It is like Apostolic succession or six degrees of separation between me and Kevin Bacon.

If you were trained by a guy who was trained by a guy who was trained by a guy who was tried by Costa...you were trained by Costa.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Yeah... I took several courses with Chris from Patriot Handgun Training before he took the full time job at Gander Mountain here. He has absolutely no flashy credentials to speak of, but he taught me more about handling a pistol in 1 hour than I had learned in a lifetime prior.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Here is the best way to learn the Pistol. Take your 22, put a one inch target at around 15 feet, and try to get 5 shots in the one inch dot using only one hand. Focus only on the front sight, slow smooth trigger pull and good follow through. Expect to go through a lot of ammo until you reach the desired results

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is the best way to learn the Pistol. Take your 22, put a one inch target at around 15 feet, and try to get 5 shots in the one inch dot using only one hand. Focus only on the front sight, slow smooth trigger pull and good follow through. Expect to go through a lot of ammo until you reach the desired results
    That is a way to do it. I sold my 22. Trigger was way too different from my carry/HD guns but I know what you are getting at.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    You cant go from 0-10 by starting at 7. Get a Ruger 22/45 and do what I suggest. Once you get the fundamentals down, the trigger doesn't matter. I practice with the worst triggers I can find. All my Ar-15's have rack grade creepy crap triggers, since they are the best to train with.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You cant go from 0-10 by starting at 7. Get a Ruger 22/45 and do what I suggest. Once you get the fundamentals down, the trigger doesn't matter. I practice with the worst triggers I can find. All my Ar-15's have rack grade creepy crap triggers, since they are the best to train with.
    Thanks for the advice.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    so, are you an instructor?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Yes. NRA Certified Rifle and Pistol instructor as well as CHL instructor and was OIC for the Texas Guard Marksmanship team. I also shot on a national level bullseye pistol team and an International Combat team. My avatar is a Distinguished Pistol badge. Only 4600 of those have been awarded in 110 years.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes. NRA Certified Rifle and Pistol instructor as well as CHL instructor and was OIC for the Texas Guard Marksmanship team. I also shot on a national level bullseye pistol team and an International Combat team. My avatar is a Distinguished Pistol badge. Only 4600 of those have been awarded in 110 years.
    I can do accurate. 49 shots and 1 thrown shot
    540a0dceb9d561ca4dfb797b3d16cca3.jpg
    I can do fast. If I recall this is 200 rounds shooting fast.
    989e4a4b4722a334a1281ca2866383ad.jpg

I am trying to do accurate and fast.

I dont deny practicing with any gun will improve my shooting. I had a real nice Ruger Mark III before and I could shoot nice tight little groups with it. But it isnt the same as shooting my carry/HD guns.

I do appreciate the suggestion and may incorporate that into my training.

I am all ears and appreciate any advice which helps me reach my goals.

Top Bottom