Venture Surplus ad

2015: breakingcontact national year of pistol training!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    What I recommend is that you abandon the fast shooting. Shooting fast with bad habits and poor fundamentals will not make you a better shot. Its fun, but don't expect to get better. Slow down, work on getting one shot in the center at 25 yards. Once you can do that, get another in the center at 25 yards. Once you get that down, do the same thing a litter faster and only then start to speed up.

Some training that focuses on fundamentals would help since you really don't know what you don't know.. Its fun to have your two shot pistol groups covered with one patch at a three gun match, or taking only head shots on the pistol targets. You can be fast and accurate, but only if you are accurate slow first. The fast three gun matches and shooting fast in general is murder on pistol fundamentals if you haven't already established them and know what "right" feels like.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What I recommend is that you abandon the fast shooting. Shooting fast with bad habits and poor fundamentals will not make you a better shot. Its fun, but don't expect to get better. Slow down, work on getting one shot in the center at 25 yards. Once you can do that, get another in the center at 25 yards. Once you get that down, do the same thing a litter faster and only then start to speed up.

Some training that focuses on fundamentals would help since you really don't know what you don't know.. Its fun to have your two shot pistol groups covered with one patch at a three gun match, or taking only head shots on the pistol targets. You can be fast and accurate, but only if you are accurate slow first. The fast three gun matches and shooting fast in general is murder on pistol fundamentals if you haven't already established them and know what "right" feels like.

Ive discussed this in other threads but thanks again for the tips.

Ive already signed up for a basic class this year and have been focusing on accuracy and not speed. I know I can do speed but know its worthless without accuracy.

Im on my way there and appreciate all input. Stay tuned!

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Yes. NRA Certified Rifle and Pistol instructor as well as CHL instructor and was OIC for the Texas Guard Marksmanship team. I also shot on a national level bullseye pistol team and an International Combat team. My avatar is a Distinguished Pistol badge. Only 4600 of those have been awarded in 110 years.
    well there ya go then...

Ive discussed this in other threads but thanks again for the tips.

Ive already signed up for a basic class this year and have been focusing on accuracy and not speed. I know I can do speed but know its worthless without accuracy.

Im on my way there and appreciate all input. Stay tuned!
    looking forward to the report

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Here is my first unsolicited training lesson for you to try. Shoot 5 rounds at any target from 10-15 yards, and set it aside. Now set up a blank sheet of paper with absolutely nothing to aim at on the paper and shoot five rounds in the middle of the page at the same distance as the first target and set it aside when done.

Next compare the group size between the blank target and the one with something to aim at. I am willing to bet the blank target will have a smaller group than the one with an aiming point. Why? Because on the blank target you have nothing to look at on the target so that forces you to focus more on the front site than the one with an aiming point.

This teaches you the difference between looking at the front sight, versus focusing on the front site.

You are welcome, now stay out of the left lane when you drive.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is my first unsolicited training lesson for you to try. Shoot 5 rounds at any target from 10-15 yards, and set it aside. Now set up a blank sheet of paper with absolutely nothing to aim at on the paper and shoot five rounds in the middle of the page at the same distance as the first target and set it aside when done.

Next compare the group size between the blank target and the one with something to aim at. I am willing to bet the blank target will have a smaller group than the one with an aiming point. Why? Because on the blank target you have nothing to look at on the target so that forces you to focus more on the front site than the one with an aiming point.

This teaches you the difference between looking at the front sight, versus focusing on the front site.

Cool. I'll give that a try.

I am trying to use targets with smaller 10 rings.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I understand what you are saying, just seems that once you have a single hole in the paper, won't that be your target for the following shots, therefore you would be aiming at it?

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

Ben English told me about this, or a variation, a few years ago. I'll have to give it a try.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I understand what you are saying, just seems that once you have a single hole in the paper, won't that be your target for the following shots, therefore you would be aiming at it?

No. You're supposed to be focused on the front sight and the target is supposed to be more than a few yards away. Under those circumstances, you won't be able to see .22 bullet holes until there are a bunch of them. Then put up a new target.:)

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No. You're supposed to be focused on the front sight and the target is supposed to be more than a few yards away. Under those circumstances, you won't be able to see .22 bullet holes until there are a bunch of them. Then put up a new target.:)

I did not realize he was going to be shooting a .22.

He says to only shoot 5 rounds, if one does not aim at some specific point, how does one get a "smaller" group with a blank sheet?

ETA: Not trying to be argumentative, just don't understand....

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I did not realize he was going to be shooting a .22.

He says to only shoot 5 rounds, if one does not aim at some specific point, how does one get a "smaller" group with a blank sheet?

ETA: Not trying to be argumentative, just don't understand....
    You're asking all the right questions.

The mind wants to perceive order and symmetry. If I ask you to point your finger at the middle of a blank square, you can do so with good precision. You know you can.

You can do the same with a pistol. Removing distractions, in this case visual ones, actually helps the process.

There are other teaching techniques for removing other distractions, too. If you ever meet Syrup, ask her about the 60-second shooting lesson I gave her a couple of Hicksvilles ago. People are capable of holding steadier than they realize; they just have to eliminate all the stuff that gets in their way to truly understand.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    if you see the hits on the target you aren't focused on the front sight. We do this drill with a 9 mil, 45 etc... Put the target at 25 yards, and you wont see the holes.

If you have something to look at on the target you wont focus on the front sight as much as you should be. Its human nature to want to see where the holes are on the target so they look at the front sights and focus on the target. Not having something to look at on the target forces you to do the exact opposite as in focus on the front sight, and look at the target. In pistol shooting you need to have a razor focus on the front sight as if you were looking through the smallest straw you can get at a bar. In my case, I have prescription glasses that have the focus point at 24 inches from my nose since that is the where the front sight is on a Berretta. I can tell the difference between 20-15 and 20-20 vision based on how clear the front sight is. I cant emphasize enough how important it is to have a razor sharp focus on the front sight. The target is a total blurry mess when I wear my pistol glasses and that is OK since pistol shooting is all about holding the front sight in the middle of the blurry target and getting a good trigger pull and follow through. You can see where the holes are when the shooting is over.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    if you see the hits on the target you aren't focused on the front sight. We do this drill with a 9 mil, 45 etc... Put the target at 25 yards, and you wont see the holes.

If you have something to look at on the target you wont focus on the front sight as much as you should be. Its human nature to want to see where the holes are on the target so they look at the front sights and focus on the target. Not having something to look at on the target forces you to do the exact opposite as in focus on the front sight, and look at the target. In pistol shooting you need to have a razor focus on the front sight as if you were looking through the smallest straw you can get at a bar. In my case, I have prescription glasses that have the focus point at 24 inches from my nose since that is the where the front sight is on a Berretta. I can tell the difference between 20-15 and 20-20 vision based on how clear the front sight is. I cant emphasize enough how important it is to have a razor sharp focus on the front sight. The target is a total blurry mess when I wear my pistol glasses and that is OK since pistol shooting is all about holding the front sight in the middle of the blurry target and getting a good trigger pull and follow through. You can see where the holes are when the shooting is over.

OK, next time I go shooting, I will try wearing my reading glasses, as that is the only real way for me to get a crystal clear view of my sights with my 56 yr. old eyes, cool...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, next time I go shooting, I will try wearing my reading glasses, as that is the only real way for me to get a crystal clear view of my sights with my 56 yr. old eyes, cool...
    The whole reason I have my Superfocus glasses is to see my front sight. Remember how I raved about them for formal target shooting? You participated in that thread: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...perfocus-my-experience-so-far.html#post714354

Try your reading glasses and hang every other consideration. When shooting irons, the ability to focus on the front sight is priceless.

flylot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2014
    Houston, TX
    This old man is sure "out of the loop". I had to google morale patches. (Sigh)

....and to think I used to get upset when REMFs showed up after an engagement just so they could get a record to qualify for their CIB........ sheesh!

.....I'm going to go drink my warm milk now and go take a nap.......

flylot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I started to originally commend bc on making a commitment to take training, and I got side tracked. So, bc, I commend you for making that commitment! I for one am thinking along those same lines.

The stuff I learned many many years ago I realized I have forgotten most of it and even if remembered, may no longer be relevant and may be counterproductive (a lot has changed since the earth was cooling). So perhaps some training for me would be in order as well. After all, it couldn't hurt......

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I started to originally commend bc on making a commitment to take training, and I got side tracked. So, bc, I commend you for making that commitment! I for one am thinking along those same lines.

The stuff I learned many many years ago I realized I have forgotten most of it and even if remembered, may no longer be relevant and may be counterproductive (a lot has changed since the earth was cooling). So perhaps some training for me would be in order as well. After all, it couldn't hurt......

Thanks. The better I get, the more I want to get better.

I've been shooting at longer ranges lately and that has been good for my accuracy.

Top Bottom