• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, I could maybe tell you faces circa 2002-3, but since I stopped listening to them, I don't keep up with them. Reading the article, it says the lady left in 1993 - I don't recall a Dixie Chicks song blowing up on the radio until around 1998?

Sounds about right. Maybe even later - 2000? They hit it big, had a year or so of success, and then seriously misunderstood who their fanbase was and screamed "censorship" when their statements drove most of their fans away.
    Venture Surplus ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "Officials said that Lynch wasn't wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash..."

Are people really still that stupid in 2023?
    Yes. Lots of them. I recently heard (or read?) someone say "Any man riding in the passenger seat of the car with a woman driving and wearing his seatbelt is gay."

The person, in context, was saying that seatbelts are gay.

No, I don't understand it either.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    "Officials said that Lynch wasn't wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash..."

Are people really still that stupid in 2023?

Yup, they most definitely are.

Used to see 2 or more a shift all messed up from injuries like this.

It’s a shame she went out like this.

I wish the rest of the chicks would have been in the car with her too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Years back, I got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.....from a cop on a motorcycle. He didn't appreciate the humor of the irony nearly as much as I did.

I got one like that too, from a bike cop.

I don't think the law ought to dictate to *adults* if they must belt up or not - that's only a law to benefit insurance companies. Children (under 18) is a different story.

I've seen people killed who are belted, I've seen people live who were not, and I've worked hundreds of wrecks in the course of my towing career and talked to the medics and fire guys on scene about it. I've seen people's collar bones shattered and necks injured from shoulder belts in collisions that would not have thrown them thru the windshield. Personally I think the lap/shoulder belt arrangement is the most dangerous seat belt style we can get, if belts are mandatory they should be four point or five point harnesses if the concern is to really keep people safe and stationary.

Wearing a seatbelt is not a guarantee you'll survive a wreck or not get injured, its generally safer than not, but there are better arrangements that aren't being used because automakers don't really care. Race car drivers don't use lap & shoulder belts for a reason.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've seen the remnants of a cabover and car collision on black iced roads. It was when I saw what was left of the big truck driver that I swore never to drive without a seatbelt. EVER Again.

And while I would much prefer to sit in a custom molded seat with a five point harness, that is not practical and highly cost prohibitive. So I'll just putter about in my mini-van with more airbags than necessary to turn me into a marshmallow, and my shoulder/lap harness restraining device until the insurance companies give the auto makers the green light to install a safer system.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I've seen the remnants of a cabover and car collision on black iced roads. It was when I saw what was left of the big truck driver that I swore never to drive without a seatbelt. EVER Again.

When I first started trucking in 2004 I drove a cabover for about a year. Definitely scary stuff when the roads were wet and found out how easy they are to jack knife.

I was so glad when I didn't have to drive it anymore.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    So I'll just putter about in my mini-van with more airbags than necessary to turn me into a marshmallow, and my shoulder/lap harness restraining device until the insurance companies give the auto makers the green light to install a safer system.

Insurance companies don't need to green light such harnesses - the automakers themselves can / should do it on their own. They're not much more costly - especially when economy of scale is factored in - they're far safer, and they only take a few seconds more to get into than a shoulder / lap belt would. Not enough people have life / long term disability insurance for the insurance companies to give a damn - if it was as ubiquitous as auto insurance, they'd certainly be demanding safer cars to minimize their payouts.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I remember the days of automated shoulder belts that ran on a rail from the top of the A pillar along the roof line and down a few inches on the B pillar. My ‘89 Cougar had them with a separate lap belt. Probably the most unintrusive setup. For appearances you were buckled in but not safe at all unless the lap belt was buckled as well. Although I always wear a seatbelt, I do think seatbelts should not be mandatory if over 18. The same could be said for motorcycle helmets as well. Thank the insurance lobby for this

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Comedian Tom Smothers, one-half of the Smothers Brothers, dies at 86

1703701263551.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I can't find a clip anywhere, but there was a moment they did with their characteristic "Mom always liked you best" schtick where Tom yelled "Mom liked you best!" Dick snapped back "Lower your voice!" so Tom dropped his voice two octaves and rumbled "Mom liked you best!"

Brilliant stuff. I don't care for their style of music much, but I'll still watch them perform for the banter, humor and sheer talent.

Top Bottom