• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    M&P15 .22 Rifle or Ruger 10/22 (with archangel kit) are the choices I have. Please do not say get a "real" rifle, believe me i would. Id rather have an AR-15. (For stopping power) But in this case it is for my bug out bag kit.

I chose the .22 simply because ammo is very cheap and i could carry ALOT in my pack and i do not have money to purchase an AR-15. I've been watching videos on YouTube and it seems very reliable for hunting game.

But the situation is with the choices listed above ^^(M&P or Ruger) will the .22 rifles work in tactical situations?

Now i seen run 'n gun videos but say your with your family of 5 (3 adults 2 kids) bugging out (on foot) and somehow theirs criminals,looters,junkie drug abusing bad guys out to kill you and take your stuff, and its only you and your companion armed with ether/or one of those .22 rifles i mentioned. Assuming you already are a well shooter and using federal ammo would it be enough to kill the bad guys at say 25 yds? (not alot maybe like 3 or 4)

PS: Sorry for the bad imagination just wanna know if the .22 is enough
    Target Sports

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'd get something that passes scrutiny. If I didn't have an ar15 I wouldn't want a rifle in .22lr that looks anything like one in that situation.

For the situation above I'd get a beat up bolt action tube fed .22lr like the marlin model 60, improve the sights learn to shoot it scary accurate and call it a day. May even choose a bolt action.

Save your money on a first rifle and go with something plain and boringly accurate. You're paying an extra $200 to be tatictcool without any accuracy improvements. That money can be spent on a good scope and improved trigger or a stock that fits you better.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Yes, it would def be enough to kill at 25 yrds. In fact there is a thread floating around about the lethality of the .22LR. If I recall correctly someone did a test on a half frozen turkey at 300 yards and the round went clear through. The thing is, once you have loaded up on mags and what not for the .22, you really could buy an AR. They are obviously not as reliable as an AR, but yes they would get the job done. Add the HK416 22LR to that list as well. Made by Walther. Are the .22's as good as the AR's? No, but we know that. Will they be better than a BB gun or slingshot in a SHTF scenario? Absolutely.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    @ Oh hey matefrio i was just talking to you. Is there any upgrades you could add to a .22 to make it more accurate?

@BigBoss0311 Is there a link to the thread? And how much is a HK416 22LR? Would a pistol be better than a .22 in SHTF?

p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    Intresting sidenote, the Isreali military was
    Using suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles for a while
    To take out molotov cocktail/ rock throwers
    At violent palistenian demonstations.
    They would also target the guys with the bullhorns
    That would whip the crowd up to doing
    Bad stuff.
    The tactic was simple, sniper on roof with
    Suppressed 10/22 would shoot the target
    In the crotch with a .22, making them stop
    Doing what they were doing... And fall down to
    Be dragged off by thier friends for a tripto the hospital.
    The problem was that a .22 isnt a good
    Less than lethal device..... A lot of those shot
    In the crotch area were dieing.
    Cut femoral arteries, and complications/ infection.
    So human rights organizations started to complain
    To the U.N. About this.... And in the end they stopped
    The practice. It did work, and it took those hit out of the fight
    With life threatning injuries.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    S&W M&P 15-22 - $475.00 ish out the door.
    H&K 416 - $500.00 ish

Here's what I'd to with less than $500.00
    Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Model $300
    PC 10-22 Adjustable Sear & Hammer $65.00
    TSR200 Aperture Sight for Ruger 10/22 $75.00

If you had a budget for a scope on top of the $500.00 I'd get this:
    Savage MKIITRRSR 22LR THREADED BBL $475.00
    Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO $175.00
    71927.jpg

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Is there a difference between the 10/22 Deluxe and a regular? Because at Academy the 10/22 there is $190ish. Also maybe a red dot instead of the TSR200's? I dont prefer irons :/

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Marlin XT22TSR: stainless, bolt action, tube hold 17 .22LR rounds. Also will take longs and shorts and you don't have to worry about mags. Less than $300.

XT-22TSR-70823.jpg

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Personally in a mob senario, I would want something louder. Even a bolt action .223 but I'd prefer a AR. .22lr is not loud enough IMO to deter a larger group. Your shot placement would need to be pretty good as well.

IMO you want a good SHTF weapon, pick up a Rem 870 with a 18" oe 20" barrel and a 1-2round extension, a side saddle , and a bandelero full of 00buck and slugs. It's loud and a bigger deterant at 25yrds. You can also hunt game with it and ammo is bulky, but fairly light.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    For the price of a supped up .22 why not just get something with a hell of a lot more stopping power like an AK in 7.62x39? Ammo is still considerably cheaper than 223. And if you go with a saiga in sporter config it looks like any old huting rifle. A 22 is a great food getter, but in a SHTF senario, you have to think about return fire..a dying man can still kill.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would get a 10-22, a bolt action, or a lever-action. I have a M&P15-22, and although I've never had a problem with mine, I've seen reports that it can be problematic as far as reliability is concerned. I also have a CZ-452 (very accurate bolt action) and a Henry H001T (a very accurate lever gun). the reason I say a bolt or lever gun is because they can shoot subsonic ammo when stealth is required. A 10-22 and any of the currently available tactical 22's cannot use sub-sonic ammo because you can't count onn there being enough pressure to operate the semi-auto loading mechanism. Above all else, the weapon should be reliable, and the most reliable weapons are bolt or lever-action rifles. IMHO.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Just lay down some suppressive fire with one of these. No one will have their head up.

BTW the tacticool .22's weigh more than a standard Ruger 10/22. That weight can be made up with ammo.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Between the two I'd go with the 10/22. Since it is a bug out bag you want this for, it's probably safe to assume this will be a gun meant for very bad times. Spare parts availability will be much greater with the 10/22, since it is probably the most popular .22 out there. Keeping a spare extractor, ejector, etc. on hand before you need them is the best way to go, however.

Having said that, my BOB has an AR-7. It is extremely light and portable; it will take home food and I could even make do with it for self defense if I really had to. Just something to consider.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Any of you guys have experience with an SU-16A or SU-16B? They shoot .223 Much more stopping power but would have to carry less ammo :(. Unless someone wants to be the guy with a backpack full of ammo! Ouch thats heavy.

Also how much is an AK47 chambered for 7.62?

After seeing these choices, i think i will reconsider my first rifle. I would still get the 10/22 for hunting, but i would rather get a more powerful rifle specifically in case the situation above occurs first. We can always hunt with knives lol.(small small game of course)

PS: anyone recommend a SKS?

Top Bottom