• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you want something a little hotter go to something in a 22mag. like a Remington 597.

my 597 is in .22 LR and it is a bad bad little girl.

going to be re-united ont he 11th come hell or high water!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Invisible / Hunting
    As was mentioned before in a real SHTF scenario you want to be invisible. If you're on a tight budget I'd find a used bolt action 22 that you can load shorts in as well (~$100). You can hunt pretty quietly without a suppressor with .22 shorts. I'd get a fishing pole that breaks down too, and consider a compound bow for hunting larger animals.

Protection
    I'd get a cheap, used AK (<$300), a police surplus Glock ($<300), or a H&R Pardner Pump Defender [870 Clone] in 12 gauge ($180 new @ Academy). I like the 12 gauge pumps because they are extremely versatile (bird shot, buck shot, slugs, etc.), very cheap, and look like a normal hunting longarm (again, blend in).

I guess it all depends on the "SHTF" scenario you're planning for as well. Remember, the goal of a any SHTF situation is to survive. That means being quiet and avoiding trouble in the first place. If you don't already own livestock to eat then you're better off fishing than shooting and drawing attention to yourself. Water being the biggest key to survival I'd identify a location ahead of time that I could get water to drink, and maybe fish. Your tactics should be dictated by your strategy. My 2 cents.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The running joke is that my 10/22 is a "Hobo Assassination Tool" ... but I'll be frank, if I had to sit in the bush or in an urban environment and snipe people at short distances (0 - 150 Yards) I would take my suppressed 10/22 hands down. The only thing you can hear downrange of the gun is the bullet whistle in the air. If you were in a loud environment it's doubtful you'd pick it up. The muzzle report is a "click" similar to the noise your firing pin makes, beyond about 25 yards you're not going to make it out. It'll hold 1 MOA at 100 yards with Wolf Match ammo, that's good enough for headshots out to about 150 yards. You'll need to know wind calls and angle firing with a .22 at those distances, but it certainly is a viable tool. I can shoot prone with the new 25-round mags and with no recoil, I can just hammer the trigger and get upper torso hits at 250 yards all day.

Videos to prove it:

250 Yards on the Pumpkin looking target. You can see is sway a bit when the rounds hit. I can put 2, almost 3, rounds in the air before they hit due to the time of flight.

Since the last video I installed a synthetic bolt stop, it's much quieter.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Tactical .22's make very little tactical sense. They can be good for training on the full size rifle they emulate, but they are unnecessarily heavy and bulky for a .22. I've got a "tactical" .22 (GSG5), but it's just a range toy. I've got a couple Marlin 60s and a 795 and both are lighter, more compact, and the triggers MUCH better than the GSG. Since Ruger just came out with the factory 25rd mags, I suggest getting a 10/22 with a synthetic stock (it'll be less than half the price of a m&p22), and don't worry about all the tacticool crap. You'll have a better all around rifle and you can save you pennies for a AR15 or whatever later.

Also if you're wanting to hunt larger game, a Mosin is the most cost effective rifle/ammo combo in a 7.62 caliber. Everyone should have little .22 and a Mosin ;)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Hold over at 350 yards is about eight feet for a standard vol. 22lr. So you're aiming 8ft or more over the target to hit that.

I've walked a guy in at 500 yards with him standing off hand and he hit it twice.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    A 10-22 and any of the currently available tactical 22's cannot use sub-sonic ammo because you can't count onn there being enough pressure to operate the semi-auto loading mechanism.

My 10/22 would beg to differ with that statement. It shoots Remmington sub-sonics all day long and they are the only ammo I use when I take my kids to the range.

Kyreb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Houston TX
    Intresting sidenote, the Isreali military was
    Using suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles for a while
    To take out molotov cocktail/ rock throwers
    At violent palistenian demonstations.
    They would also target the guys with the bullhorns
    That would whip the crowd up to doing
    Bad stuff.
    The tactic was simple, sniper on roof with
    Suppressed 10/22 would shoot the target
    In the crotch with a .22, making them stop
    Doing what they were doing... And fall down to
    Be dragged off by thier friends for a tripto the hospital.
    The problem was that a .22 isnt a good
    Less than lethal device..... A lot of those shot
    In the crotch area were dieing.
    Cut femoral arteries, and complications/ infection.
    So human rights organizations started to complain
    To the U.N. About this.... And in the end they stopped
    The practice. It did work, and it took those hit out of the fight
    With life threatning injuries.

Do you have a source on this?

Jeff Cooper advocated the same tactic except the shot would directed at the lung area (away from the heart to incapicitate not kill leaders of riots.)

As an urban dweller with slum apartments too close for comfort, I have always thought a supressed .22 bolt gun might be ideal if SHTF and the natives got restless.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Don't forget your break down 22's...(remington, browning, and the norinco clone).
    Nice thing about the bottom eject is that it is easier to keep track of your brass....just be careful with that long sleeve
    shirt those....the brass does get hot. They pack easy and are unobtrusive....with a little 2.5 power scope are not bad.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i jsut wasted 30 bucks on a BMF (bad mother fucker maybe?) Activater.

the little hand crank thingy you put on the trigger gaurd, and turn the crank thusly simulating full auto in a semi auto platform...

getting my 597 back and am going to properly abuse it witha few 1000 rounds.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    mossberg makes a damn good one for under 150 bucks new if you look around. jsut dont loose that tiny little spring int he bottom of the action... not a problem if you follow the instructions and dont take it down to the last pin...

single shots are great for when you are looking for simplicity, and are usually accurate enoguh to ensure you wont need a speedy follow up shot given you only have one mouse to 'coon sized target.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    With bolt actions in general, are they easy to take down with not that many loseable parts? Say you want to get past a check point, but they are taking your guns just to take them(which i hope people will fight back! Its our rights)
    Will i be able to take apart the rifle (with practice of course) and say scatter the Parts in different members bug out bags? Well if its possible im probably going to skip AK,ARs unless it is a true WROL ALL OVER THE US. Because those are too many parts.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    things like barrels and triggers and such are going to be hard to hide. with enough practice you could do this with a freakin M249, but the receiver, the barrel and allt hat crap are going to be taken at any future evil, draconian, NATO checkpoints. your best bet is to not go through the checkpoint in the first place.

Top Bottom