Guns International

30.06 at the Pasadena Gun Show, seriously?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    So, lol...any word back from the email that was sent?

Mr. Taylor

Thank you for your concerns about the show, we do always appreciate feedback from the public that attends. There are several major reasons that we do not allow live ammunition into our show. Your quote is going to be my main bullet point in our reasoning, " Many CHL holders, myself included, are safe and responsible gun owners" but we all know that there unfortunately are irresponsible gun owners that can not be safe, or responsible when handling their firearms. In the past there have been accidental discharges that have occured at our shows, some of these AD's have occured by individuals that have brought in their firearms concealed (I'm sure with innocent intentions) and then for whatever reason pull their gun from the holster and thats when accidents happen. If someone were to get killed in one of our shows by an AD it would be the end of our business, and possibly the end of shows hosted at that particular venue. It is not worth the risk for us, our public, our fellow CHL holders or the fellow promoters in and around our area, to not at least try and prevent accidents from happening giving gun shows/gun owners a bad reputation.

I have enclosed an article for you to read from the Houston Chronicle printed June, 2007. This very situation is the one that we try and avoid, it was an accident, and could have been prevented if the gentleman would have taken in his firearm but not his live ammunition. Luckily for us the shooter only injured himself, and not an innocent bystander, such as someone like yourself who is always conscious of gun safety.

I hope this finds you well, and we do apologize if you have taken any offense, but we will continue to promote our shows in hope that our 2nd ammendmant rights stay strong, and we will continue to do what we feel is neccesary to protect the general public that attends our shows.

Thank you,
    Matt
    High Caliber Gun Shows, Inc.
    P.O. Box 2616, Alvin, Tx. 77512
    P: (281) 331-5969
    F: (281) 585-2328
    www.texasgunshows.com
    Military Camp

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    That response is interesting. He doesn't address the 30.06 sign but rather explains the policy in terms of not allowing live ammunition.

I'm not sure how that would relate to concealed carry and a 30.06 sign. Perhaps this is what Renegade and others are getting at.

What about a sign banning "live ammo" or some similar language, instead of a 30.06? Is that enforceable? I really have no idea.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Well I met Flash up at the Pasadena High Caliber show Saturday; just before buying the tickets we (g/f and I) noticed a large 30.06 sign at the entrance. At a gun show? Really? WTF High Caliber? I was seriously pissed off, ready to give the promoters an ear full of nastiness for posting that damn sign. But being the sweet young lass she is, my girlfriend talked me out of it. The NRA booth fella outside said it was due to some idiot shooting himself in the hand at a previous show... Who the f' has a loaded gun out of the holster (assuming a CHL holder) inside the building?

Anyhow, has anyone else noticed a 30.06 sign at the gun shows? If it was at the last show, it wasn't obvious. If we were not there to meet Flash, I would have turned around and left. That's the last time High Caliber gets my business.

Can't walk in the GRB gun show armed either. I can kinda understand why, although I don't necessarily agree with it. But seriously, there are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of guns in there, and having people walking around with their own concealed weapons would really make those concerned with inventory control a little shaky, even though all the guns are secured. Never put anything past a good thief. Meaning if nobody is armed, and a gun suddenly goes missing, and then one guy is found to have a gun hidden in his waist band, he's probably the one who stole it, whereas if everyone in there is armed, that would be impossible. I just figured that because that's the only reasons I can think that the police would ask you if you have a weapon to "check in" when you get through the door. Plus I'm sure they are worried about armed robberies to a certain extent. Although I don't think either one of these things could actually become a reality, I'd be willing to bet those are the reasons they choose to 30.06 the gun shows. Not sure what the whole "accidental discharge" thing was about, I mean I can't imagine why someone would pull a loaded gun out of it's holster in a gun show to begin with. I never really have a concern walking around a gun show unarmed, but when you go to GRB and have to park across 59 off of Chartres, or in some other not so beautiful neighborhood, yeah....walking to and from the car unarmed is a little bit scary, even right in front of the police station.

I'll never forget the first time I went to one. I showed up about 30 mins before it opened. There were people walking out of every crack and crevice of downtown Houston with guns in their hand...anything from a 22 pistol to an AK47, some with 2 or 3 rifles. One guy walked up with 4 pistols in his hands.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I can agree with the no loaded weapons policy as a matter of safety, there are hundreds if not thousands of people handling firearms at a gun show, it wouldn't take much for someone to have a momentary lapse of judgment and handle their loaded firearm with tragic results which would not bode well for gun shows in general. Luckily, the ND at the SAXET show didn't have a big negative impact on the show, but had someone been seriously hurt or killed, it could have been the end of that show and others in SA!

However, the 30.06 sign does NOT mean a no-weapons policy, unloaded guns are allowed in the show as long as they are rendered safe (usually via a zip-tie) when entering (and no ammo is allowed in). As most of the vendors' wares are similarly zipped, it does not act as a theft-deterrent as there is no difference between a firearm brought into the show and one being sold there.

Considering that vendors have a stock of zip-ties and often cut them off their wares to allow a potential buyer to fully inspect the weapon, it's not a complete guarantee of safety. That is why everyone should visually inspect a firearm to ensure it is unloaded before anything else even if the seller has just done the same! The old adage to treat every firearm as if it is loaded should apply at a gun show as it does everywhere else, and does always keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your goddam finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot it!

Cheers! M2

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Meaning if nobody is armed, and a gun suddenly goes missing, and then one guy is found to have a gun hidden in his waist band, he's probably the one who stole it, whereas if everyone in there is armed, that would be impossible.

What?

1) You think if a gun goes missing they are suddenly going to stop the show and search thousands of people to look for it?

2) Just because they might have a no armed ruled, does not mean people are not in lawful possession of guns inside. So your theory above still does not work even if they did search folks.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    What?

1) You think if a gun goes missing they are suddenly going to stop the show and search thousands of people to look for it?

2) Just because they might have a no armed ruled, does not mean people are not in lawful possession of guns inside. So your theory above still does not work even if they did search folks.

I don't know, I wouldn't call it a "theory", it was just a guess. I've never facilitated a gun show nor had a booth set up at one, so I wouldn't know. I wasn't saying "this is UNDOUBTEDLY why they do this", I just figured maybe it was taken into consideration.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I, for one, don't like the 30.06 signs that are illegitimately posted. But given there's no enforcement mechanism to pull them down, that's where we are. And some have said they'll ignore them. That's fine. But I don't have the resources to fight the court case, so I'll pass. It would be nice were there some enforcement provision in the law to get the municipalities and counties to abide by the restrictions on posting 30.06. Something for the future I guess.

As far as a CHL holder pulling out their gun to show someone, I was taught that the only reason to take it out of the holster is to put it away at night or to counter a threat. "Brandishing" a weapon is acceptable to counter a threat, but not to show someone your BBQ gun.

olemissmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I was at that Houston Gun Show in 2007 at the GRB when the negligent discharge occurred. It happened about 4 rows over from me. When it went BANG, many people crouched down and then about 3 seconds later someone yelled out MEDIC!!! I went over to see what was going on and watched the cops take the shooter who had shot himself out in handcuffs on one of his hands and the other arm was bandaged. A guy standing next to me was wearing shorts and sandals. He motioned to me and I saw that one of his ankles was bleeding very slightly. He said that a piece of shrapnel had nicked him but he didn't want medical attention. It wasn't much more than a paper cut.

I am a CHL holder but have no problem at all with the 30.06 signs at the gun shows. I don't feel comfortable with so many people coming in there with loaded guns. Remember there are alot people out there with CHL's that aren't very competent gun handlers. Sooner or later a guy is going to take his loaded gun out of his pocket and show a dealer or prospective buyer and drop it or have a negligent discharge which is what happened in 2007. That piece of shrapnel didn't do much damage to that guys ankle but heaven forbid if it would have hit me in my eye....

Top Bottom