• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paveknife

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    DFW
    Hey all, going through my annual inventory crisis... I have a single rifle that fires 30-06. I don't have a) much ammo for it and b) reloading dies for it. The last couple of years I've focused more on 308, 300BLK, 270, 243, and 223. I would love to score a Garand but given the price spike over the past 5 years or so, unless someone donates me one, I can't see it happening.

Is there any reason for me to maintain this Remington 700 in 30-06? I already have a 308 that can do 95+% of what it can do, and it's another caliber I could trim out of my stockpile.

If I had infinite money this wouldn't even be a question, but I have many hungry rifles crying for optics...
    Venture Surplus ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I had 3 nice 30-06s used one to take a Mule deer then traded or sold them all. Only reason I had them because my dad had convinced me it's the best thing in the world it will take any North American game. That sounds great but all I'm going to hunt is pigs, deer, elk, and black bear. Most anything else will take those animals. Never regretted the loss. The 270 became my favorite.

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    You are better off in the long run just getting a new barrel.

For the cost of a new barrel, and gunsmithing fees to finish the chamber and do the barrel swap you could just have the gunsmith re-chamber the existing barrel if there is enough material there to work with.

It never hurts to have a .30-06 around. But ultimately it is up to the OP to decide if that is practical for their purposes since most of what they are likely to do can be covered with their existing lineup.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    For the cost of a new barrel, and gunsmithing fees to finish the chamber and do the barrel swap you could just have the gunsmith re-chamber the existing barrel if there is enough material there to work with.

It never hurts to have a .30-06 around. But ultimately it is up to the OP to decide if that is practical for their purposes since most of what they are likely to do can be covered with their existing lineup.

Either option is better than the those chamber adapters.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I would say it depends on what it is worth, a $1000 might get you something else worth having, but...

If it's not worth much, and you have room for it, even if you don't have much ammo for it, just keep it...

Who knows, when SHTF, it might be the one rifle you can find ammo for, or the one rifle somebody that has ammo is looking for.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hey all, going through my annual inventory crisis... I have a single rifle that fires 30-06. I don't have a) much ammo for it and b) reloading dies for it. The last couple of years I've focused more on 308, 300BLK, 270, 243, and 223. I would love to score a Garand but given the price spike over the past 5 years or so, unless someone donates me one, I can't see it happening.

Is there any reason for me to maintain this Remington 700 in 30-06? I already have a 308 that can do 95+% of what it can do, and it's another caliber I could trim out of my stockpile.

If I had infinite money this wouldn't even be a question, but I have many hungry rifles crying for optics...
    The questions I ask myself go like this

Does this perform a task better than my other options?

Would I have capability gaps if I didnt have it?

How much do I just like it?

How much is it worth on the open market and if I wanted it again could I buy one.

If I sold it, could I purchase something to fill capability gaps (even if that is ammo for training).

Can I afford to keep it and just buy what I need?

My AR's out preform my MINI-14, but I jist like it.

My Howa 1500 minis in 6.5Grendel and .223 can be used for hunting where my ARs cannot if I go to some anti-2A states.

I just like my Enfield No. V, even though it really is an outdated as combat rifle... its just cool.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    .30-06 is the pinnacle of American exceptionalism. Powerful, elegant, modern. It spent over 50 years turning German, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese family trees into wilted shrubbery.

It is a cartridge so perfect, that the only people who hate it are gays and communists. It has no time for metric numbers. This round has killed it all. Armored vehicles? Check. Planes? Done! Dangerous game? Yup. People? Don't get me started.

Be something future generations would be proud of. Shoot .30-06.

Top Bottom