• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Robert at Roberts gun shop knows carbines very well. He used to work on them for the military when stationed in Germany. He is pretty knowledgable on all milsurps. I have taken several Garands and carbines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Lynx Defense

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Thanks to all of the "experts" who have posted up!! I want to take it out for a little range time. I'm not a collector, so if it's "valuable" that just means keeping it in the fancy gun locker. It'd be nice to have a something in-between gun, when out on the lease. Down there the 2 legged varmint are the ones to worry about.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks to all of the "experts" who have posted up!! I want to take it out for a little range time. I'm not a collector, so if it's "valuable" that just means keeping it in the fancy gun locker. It'd be nice to have a something in-between gun, when out on the lease. Down there the 2 legged varmint are the ones to worry about.

If you are worried about hurting the "value" by using it simply take it out of it's original stock and put it in a composite one. Unless you never clean it or like us it as a club you probably will never shoot it enough to damage it. Scuffing the stock is an easy thing to do and they are much more valuable with the stock intact. I have had one slide on one carbine break in 10 years. Seems to be the most usual bit of damage, but it is also very easy to fix. I have an Inland similar to yours. It functions very well.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Your best source on information on the internet will be the CMP forums for that gun. Those guys will tell you everything.

Next, remember most WWII era M1 carbines are a mixture of parts. That is not a bad thing. The guns were returned from units and had worn and damaged parts replaced and repaired before being returned to service. This was normal, and most everyone out there is that way. Some collectors want all the original parts, but it's not generally what you find in the run of the mill guns. Now that is for military rifles, not a fan of non-military guns that have had all sorts of parts replaced.

If for some reason you feel the need to make it 'correct' with parts that match those that would have been on the rifle the day it left the factory, there are worksheets and sources out there that will help you do that.

My question is there any reason you feel the gun is unsafe? Guns are not like a lot of other mechanical things that go bad if left to sit for years. Did it come from a fire or flood? Have an accident where stuff was bent on it? Got excessive rust? Appears to have some homesmithing done to it??

You might find this interesting.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CR/CarbineNotes.pdf

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Acera, thanks for that link. I'm not really worried about monetary value, my value is from a useable fire arm . Plus the value of having something 2 grand fathers, and my dad carried in service. to me it just says cool!!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Acera, thanks for that link. I'm not really worried about monetary value, my value is from a useable fire arm . Plus the value of having something 2 grand fathers, and my dad carried in service. to me it just says cool!!

Yup, mine is one of my favorite guns (WWII mfg.). Herself has a pair (WWII mfg. and a post war commercial) and they are by far her favorite rifles. She can shoot the piss out of them. Don't let anyone tell you they don't have lethal power. The muzzle energy is about the same as a .357 mag and that is ok for most things out there.

ChuckDC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Houston
    Note that it may not necessarily have been "mixed up" in a rebuild. Due to the urgent nature of the manufacture of Carbines during the war, parts were occasionally moved around to different manufacturers during the original assembly of the Carbines. Some makers didn't even make barrels, and on those several barrel makers were "correct". Not sure if Inland/GM ever did that, but it is entirely possible.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Having worked on several WW2 aircraft, we have often seen up to 73 different makers parts on the airframe. Specialty companies feeding the supply chain!! Some times it makes you wunder who thunk this up.

Rbtreasures

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Your best source on information on the internet will be the CMP forums for that gun. Those guys will tell you everything.

Next, remember most WWII era M1 carbines are a mixture of parts. That is not a bad thing. The guns were returned from units and had worn and damaged parts replaced and repaired before being returned to service. This was normal, and most everyone out there is that way. Some collectors want all the original parts, but it's not generally what you find in the run of the mill guns. Now that is for military rifles, not a fan of non-military guns that have had all sorts of parts replaced.

If for some reason you feel the need to make it 'correct' with parts that match those that would have been on the rifle the day it left the factory, there are worksheets and sources out there that will help you do that.

My question is there any reason you feel the gun is unsafe? Guns are not like a lot of other mechanical things that go bad if left to sit for years. Did it come from a fire or flood? Have an accident where stuff was bent on it? Got excessive rust? Appears to have some homesmithing done to it??

You might find this interesting.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CR/CarbineNotes.pdf
    Be suspecious of matched mfg parts on . military guns they are usually "parts guns" put togather bu some one creating a fake

Rich

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    m1 carbines are fun guns, but they are old, and they are expensive.

I would look elsewhere for a trunk gun, especially considering that your carbine is #1, inherited, and #2, USGI

Top Bottom