• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • z28pwr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm looking into purchasing a 308 AR and would like to spend less than $1,300 on one and have been looking at the following rifles:

Bushmaster
    FN FNAR
    DPMS 308

The most important feature for me is reliability followed by accuracy then ammo capacity.

What do you guys recommend, it doesn't have to be any of the listed rifles but it should be in that price range.

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    at that price point I would say go DPMS or FNAR.

What do you want to do with it? What are your accuracy expectations?

Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    Not all DPMS rifles are well built, some are kinda shaky...However, the one I had was well built, it was one of the early AP4 models. Amazingly reliable and accurate.
    Should never have sold it.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I'd do a bunch of research and build one myself from a stripped lower on up. It'd make for a fun project and you'd be getting exactly what you need/want.

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    I shot a DPMS about 3 weekends ago, it was NICE, it did have nice Trijicon optics and I was very impressed with it, I dont see why anyone would hate on them. I also have a friend who owns an LMT and it is built like a piece of art ultra precission. the LMT is worth twice what the DPMS is but then again youre the only one to say if the price diff is worth it to you. I know for me Swinging $1200 is a hell of alot easier than $2400, some folks sure do love to spend your money for ya dont they?

Good luck

johnpuga1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    San Antonio
    Check out m4carbine.net. There's tons of information on different platforms, 5.56, 6.8, 300 blackout, 7.62, etc. If you do a search there is a review on any of the brands listed in this thread.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Save your money, buy Larue.

Save money and Larue don't seem like they belong in the same sentence. Larue has a long wait time right now, so keep that in mind.

I'm looking at the LMT or the LaRue OBR for my next big gun purchase.

I would recommend looking at LWRCi REPR. I think that the non-reciprocating side charging handle on the REPR is must have on a .308 if you ever have a malfunction. If you ever have a bad double feed you will be really happy to have all that leverage on the bolt. The REPR is a very tight gun and shoots wonderfully.

z28pwr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the feedback, it seems like the LMT is the way to go but like somebody else stated that's almost twice as my budget and getting into SCAR heavy territory. What I meant by accurate was sub 1 MOA @ 100 yards which the FNAR should be able to do with no problems. Is the FNAR not a good firearm?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What I meant by accurate was sub 1 MOA @ 100 yards which the FNAR should be able to do with no problems. Is the FNAR not a good firearm?

I don't have any personal experience with the FNAR, but have a trusted friend who swears by his (and he is an AR-platform nut at the same time) for accuracy and reliability. You just don't see too many AR10 or SCAR-H comparos to the FNAR because of the vast platform differences.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I would recommend looking at LWRCi REPR. I think that the non-reciprocating side charging handle on the REPR is must have on a .308 if you ever have a malfunction. If you ever have a bad double feed you will be really happy to have all that leverage on the bolt. The REPR is a very tight gun and shoots wonderfully.

Tomball Pawn had an LWRC REPR side charging OD green 308. For the price, I would certainly rather have the OBR.

The LWRC is nice but I've been reading a lot and talking to a few people and it would seem the OBR is still top dog.

Top Bottom