• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    As has been said here, lotta people wanting to spend your money for you. I bought a DPMS that is extraordinarily accurate, smooth, and well built: I've been quite happy with it. Sure, I'd love to have a Larue. Would I drop the extra cash for it over what I've got? Not a chance in hell.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Well, since we're already spending your money for you, I really would recommend a Heckler & Koch MR762A1. Direct impingement is dirty and gay, go with gas piston :D

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    It all depends on what you want to do with it bro. I know you are maybe on a budget, hell in the economy who isn't. Do you want a gun you can plink with at 300-500 yards, then go with whatever and good ammo. I would recommend that you get something that takes the PMAG type mags and not FAL type mags. If you want to shoot sniper matches and bang steel at 1000 yards then you will have to spend more money.. I bang steel at 750 with my 18" barrel REPR. I know that high military at the Texas Rifles Only match was won with an OBR against guys with custom .300 WM bolt guns. If you ever want to buy a can and shoot suppressed I suggest piston over direct impinged. There is also a new company in New Braunfels that was started by one of the lead engineer types at LWRC making piston .308 guns. FD308 (.308 Win)

Food for though, hope you enjoy whatever you buy.

z28pwr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks guys, I wanted to stick with 308 since it's a more common round and cheaper to shoot. After much research and sticking with my budget I ended up going with the FNAR as I prefer the gas piston which I already have in my SIG 556. The biggest downside to the FNAR was the proprietary mags but they finally come down and I was able to get a brand new FNAR with (3) 20 round mags for under $1,100 shipped to my FFL.

It's guaranteed to be a sub 1 MOA @ 100 yards so we will see how she does. If money wasn't an option I would have purchased the H&K MR762A1 but that was 3 times my budget.

Redscout02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Corpus Christi,tx
    Well I own and have own for 4 years and AR-10 from Armalite, they have very good customer service and it is as well built a rife as I have ever had. Check out www.ar1ot.com and really dosen't matter how many times a company changes hands as long as the people running it now are good to there word and stand behind there product. Armalite does this.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I will probably get flamed, but have you considered a PTR-91? They start at $900.00 and go to $1500.00.

Since they are part replaceable with an HK-91, parts and accessories are plentiful. Cheap mags too. They were the most reliable rifle available in that caliber for a long time. If you don't buy one, you should at least know they are an alternative. It is very easy to clean, and you only need to pull 2 pins with your finger to change out the buttstock, or one pin to change the foregrip. Battlefield tested around the world....

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have a DPMS AR10 and have zero issues with it.

I use mine to make holes in paper and shoot hogs from a blind.
    If I were counting on it to save my life while crawling through the sand box, I might be able to justify "saving my money for DPMS x2 or 3".

thunderstruck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    La Grange area
    I have a DPMS AR10 and have zero issues with it.

I use mine to make holes in paper and shoot hogs from a blind.
    If I were counting on it to save my life while crawling through the sand box, I might be able to justify "saving my money for DPMS x2 or 3".
    That would be an LR-308, a little different from the AR10.

I also have a DPMS LR-308 with a 24" stainless bull-barrel. For what I paid for it (Thank you Friends of NRA ) I'm beyond happy with it. Reliable and more accurate than I am.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I can +1 the M1A. It is the only 308 I shoot on a regular basis. I love the rifle and live the history behind it as well as the entire family it came from. Now if only I can find a M1 Garand in awesome condition.

Top Bottom