Guns International

308x39 load results (7.62x39 with .308 diameter bore)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "Moscow Match" is a perfectly reasonable evolution of a very old term and technique.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    well yer in luck, had to pick up the God kids, so I'll have to catch ya at the next one. Good luck, will be waiting on the report
    Well, I came in first. Highest score and quickest time. I had a blast. I also beat a 12 yr old girl. She was a decent shot but not a great reloader. She came in third. Met a couple cool people and my daughter got to see that girl shoot and hopefully saw it as proof she could do it too

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Well, I came in first. Highest score and quickest time. I had a blast. I also beat a 12 yr old girl. She was a decent shot but not a great reloader. She came in third. Met a couple cool people and my daughter got to see that girl shoot and hopefully saw it as proof she could do it too
    that's awesome, congrats. I do want to try that out one day, I feel sure I could wrap up last place with a little effort.....:green:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If you plan on doing a lot of these, break the pin off the 308 expander so you only resize once. Get another for decapping or Lyman universal decapper. I use it as I only change shell plate when processing several calibers. I don't see why you use the FCD twice, neck tension is from proper expander size, not crimp. You can reduce the expander with some emery to the proper size.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I thought about that. But I'm planning on just buying some real brass.

I need to spend some more time setting the sizing die up with the expander in the right place to get it going. Family is out of town for several weeks next month so I'll have more time to play with it

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Just wanted to follow up on this. I've played around a little with the expander in the sizing die. The problem is that the decapping pin hits too soon so the expander cannot get far enough into the case and it seems to hit at the same time as the outside sizer which jams the case and gets a little tough to get out.

To fix this I can cut off the decapping portion of the expander. I plan on doing some brass cases as well so I don't want to cut the pin and get a separate die for decapping. Instead I'm going to order a spare pin and cut that one.

As for the loads, since I had trouble with the large flat hollow point of the Sierra varmenter, I'm going to try the 155gr a-max and the 125gr SST bullets and see what my gun likes the most. I may try some of the pointed v-max bullets and see if they feed better than the flat tipped hollow point did.

Range weekend!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the distant past, I experimented successfully with those round-nose, half-jacket, 100-grain Speer Plinkers ( Speer Bullets - Product Details ) in a 7.62x39. The thing I liked most about them was that they were cheap. :)

I found them to be a barrel of fun out to 200 yards, though wind drift and accuracy weren't really good enough for that distance. You previously mentioned rifle matches that took place at 40 to 60 yards. The thought occurs to me that there may be some usefulness to those bullets at that range.

OTOH, my experience was from decades ago so take it with a big grain of salt. I haven't done anything like that in a long, long time.

Top Bottom