• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mine too.

I've had it for years, used alot when I first got it.

Might use it every couple months now.
    I rely on blood work now to tell me what my A1c is.
    I want to get an eye on what foods are doing what, and which ones are doing the most harm to me. I know the Mtn. Dew is probably the worst of the things I'm consuming as far as spikes in my blood sugars.
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mine too.

I've had it for years, used alot when I first got it.

Might use it every couple months now.
    I rely on blood work now to tell me what my A1c is.
    I was the same until I started with a continuous monitoring setup. Now I stick a sensor to the back of my arm every two weeks. It keeps 6 (?) hours of data in it and I hit it with a reader pretty much every time I walk by it in the kitchen.

I actually get graphs of my blood glucose over time. It's cool and useful to see exactly how quick and far blood glucose spikes after a particular meal or snack. Moreover, the data can be parsed a bunch of ways. You can keep track of your averages over any time period so, basically, you can get a new A1c number every day if you want it. You can know what your average is for any particular time of day. And much more.

But, yeah, if I still had to rely on sticking my finger, I just wouldn't measure my glucose any more.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I know that @benenglish started this thread, and was about his weight loss, and I thank him for sharing that. His story has been very inspirational for me to get a handle on my own health issues. Doctors have been telling me for years to change things in my diet and lifestyle if I wanted to live a long life. Thanks to Ben, starting this thread and opening my eyes that it's time to make some changes for the better.

Threads like this and the participation of it's members is why TGT is the greatest forum and why we are not just members, but like an extended family.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was the same until I started with a continuous monitoring setup. Now I stick a sensor to the back of my arm every two weeks. It keeps 6 (?) hours of data in it and I hit it with a reader pretty much every time I walk by it in the kitchen.

I actually get graphs of my blood glucose over time. It's cool and useful to see exactly how quick and far blood glucose spikes after a particular meal or snack. Moreover, the data can be parsed a bunch of ways. You can keep track of your averages over any time period so, basically, you can get a new A1c number every day if you want it. You can know what your average is for any particular time of day. And much more.

But, yeah, if I still had to rely on sticking my finger, I just wouldn't measure my glucose any more.

Well, to be fair, you use insulin, don't you?

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble

I use one of the FreeStyle Libre2 systems. It is amazing how glucose spikes and drops during a 24 hour period.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Last night, I finished off my last two liter bottle of Mtn. Dew, and am now swearing off all sodas and any drinks with sugars.

Breakfast this morning was eggs, bacon, and some avacado slices with my coffee.

The hardest thing to give up is bread and potatoes. Seems strange after all these years, because both have been a huge part of my meals most of my life.

It’s hard at first but you can turn it into a habit. I have potatoes about once a month now. But I don’t have a craving for them anymore.

I didn’t start my health path due to diabetes. I was overweight and in bad shape and after losing my wife I didn’t want to orphan my kids.

It’s hard at first. But just keep plugging. We all know how determined you can be. You got this.

I haven’t had whiskey or caffeine since Sept 1, 2019. My sugar intake is really low. Rarely drink sodas since Coke was my nemesis. I will have a ginger ale that has real ginger in it. And a friend brews root beer that I have a couple times a year. But other than that it’s all water. Usually 3-4 quarts a day. That seems to help with appetite suppression. I take vitamins too, and I feel better than I have since my early 30’s.

Vitamins daily are:
    D 4000 IU
    Lutein (prevents macular degeneration which is hereditary)
    GNC over 50 multi
    2 fish oil
    Coenzyme Q-10 (heart disease runs in my family)
    Zinc w quertin

Keto or something close is easier than you think. I do stir frys with ground beef or venison and add a packet of fresh veggies from the grocery section. They come with a sauce pack that is sometimes not used. But for a large skillet of food it’s not much sauce.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Last night, I finished off my last two liter bottle of Mtn. Dew, and am now swearing off all sodas and any drinks with sugars.

Breakfast this morning was eggs, bacon, and some avacado slices with my coffee.

The hardest thing to give up is bread and potatoes. Seems strange after all these years, because both have been a huge part of my meals most of my life.

I still allow myself 2 cheat meals per week.
    Carbs be damned...

ETA: I still don't eat desserts, though.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You probably don't need to go full "keto".
    Just cut back on the carbs.

I've been trying to stay at around 120/day, and this dropped my A1c 4 points in just a few months.
    This.

Save the full onslaught of low carb as a mutually assured destruction kinda last resort weapon.

I still eat sandwiches a couple 5 times a week and rice as lunch 3 or 5 times a week and pretty much a full dinner when the wife cooks.

I just dont eat much junk food or go out a lot.

Today I had cinnamon toast crunch cereal.

I rarely eat a bowl of cereal but I do use some cereal as a snack dry if hungry.

Still eat between 1500 to 2000 calories a day and do my walking of atleast 20 minutes a day. My activity is limited and related to the pain med's I take.

It can be done. I'll post my last labs here shortly.

Oh I'm gonna ask about red rice yeast supplements instead of statins. My parents use it for their cholesterol.

Last edited:

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    This.

Save the full onslaught of low carb as a mutually assured destruction kinda last resort weapon.

I still eat sandwiches a couple 5 times a week and rice as lunch 3 or 5 times a week and pretty much a full dinner when the wife cooks.

I just dont eat much junk food or go out a lot.

Today I had cinnamon toast crunch cereal.

I rarely eat a bowl of cereal but I do use some cereal as a snack dry if hungry.

Still eat between 1500 to 2000 calories a day and do my walking of atleast 20 minutes a day. My activity is limited and related to the pain med's I take.

It can be done. I'll post my last labs here shortly.

Oh I'm gonna ask about red rice yeast supplements instead of statins. My parents use it for their cholesterol.
    My A1c was 5.1. Actual a little lower off metformin.

Screenshot_20220610-122600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-122553_Chrome.jpg

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    ETA I even eat potatoes and stuffing together on the rare times its available. Like once a month. Lol

I think the activity is the most important part.

Shit, I have to change the position I wear my gun in cause I've gained about 3 lbs of muscle from walking. All in my ass and it doesnt sit right where it used to. Lol

Speaking of which the percocet has kicked in and I'm in my walking window. Gotta go before it wears off.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It’s hard at first but you can turn it into a habit. I have potatoes about once a month now. But I don’t have a craving for them anymore.

I didn’t start my health path due to diabetes. I was overweight and in bad shape and after losing my wife I didn’t want to orphan my kids.

It’s hard at first. But just keep plugging. We all know how determined you can be. You got this.

I haven’t had whiskey or caffeine since Sept 1, 2019. My sugar intake is really low. Rarely drink sodas since Coke was my nemesis. I will have a ginger ale that has real ginger in it. And a friend brews root beer that I have a couple times a year. But other than that it’s all water. Usually 3-4 quarts a day. That seems to help with appetite suppression. I take vitamins too, and I feel better than I have since my early 30’s.

Vitamins daily are:
    D 4000 IU
    Lutein (prevents macular degeneration which is hereditary)
    GNC over 50 multi
    2 fish oil
    Coenzyme Q-10 (heart disease runs in my family)
    Zinc w quertin

Keto or something close is easier than you think. I do stir frys with ground beef or venison and add a packet of fresh veggies from the grocery section. They come with a sauce pack that is sometimes not used. But for a large skillet of food it’s not much sauce.
    It's going to take some adjustments, since for the most part, I have become to a diet that I have had pretty much my entire life.

I think I'm going to start with a very low carb diet and see where that goes first. Like I said, potatoes and bread are going to be the biggest hurdles. Most of my life, I very seldom ever had a meal without them in it.

Giving up the Mtn Dew, not so hard. I'll just transition to more water and unsweetened tea and coffee.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's going to take some adjustments, since for the most part, I have become to a diet that I have had pretty much my entire life.

I think I'm going to start with a very low carb diet and see where that goes first. Like I said, potatoes and bread are going to be the biggest hurdles. Most of my life, I very seldom ever had a meal without them in it.

Giving up the Mtn Dew, not so hard. I'll just transition to more water and unsweetened tea and coffee.
    Just goto diet MT Dew. It's pretty much the same now days.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Warning.

When you lose weight after a certain age the skin squats on your body like a NYC apartment squater. It just will not leave.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I use one of the FreeStyle Libre2 systems.
    Same here.

Caution to anyone considering getting on that system - Make sure your phone has a near field antenna so that you can use your phone as your reader. The phone app is also much more sophisticated than the dedicated reader that has a crummy little screen and costs $150 that you shouldn't have to spend.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Mine was included in the prescription. Change the monitor out this morning.
    Paid for by Medicare. Dr. sent in prescription for 6 monitors, so good for 12 weeks.
    I haven't had it but about a month.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Warning.

When you lose weight after a certain age the skin squats on your body like a NYC apartment squater. It just will not leave.
    OK, this is gross, but as long as we're being honest...

My ass has lost so much that it no longer fills my skin. It's just a big flap of folded-over skin where the bottom of my butt cheeks used to be. When I sit, I'm sitting on folded skin unless I'm at home with less clothes on and can make adjustments. Out in public, where I don't want to be fishing around with my hand on my backside inside my pants, I have to look for deeply padded seats. Sitting on a hard bench is torture.

IOW, you're soooo right about the skin that sticks around. Damnitalltohell.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No. Absolutely not.

Also, I'm very hopeful that if I can lose the rest of the weight, keep active, and keep my diet in control, I will be able to start weaning myself off the meds I'm currently taking.
    Sorry, I thought I remembered you saying something about it.

Top Bottom