• ...and so much more!
  • bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Doc weighed me yesterday, like she does every 3 months.

I have officially lost more than 400 pounds.

I was oddly underwhelmed at the news. I thought I'd feel like celebrating but I don't. Instead, I'm mostly looking forward to the home stretch.

Just wanted to share.
    Congratulations Ben,
    I have been working on lowering my weight for over 2 decades. I was up to 379 and just recently weighed and am at 103 less. 400lbs is an amazing amount and you should be more excited. I think anyone who does that for their health is a winner.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Consolidating my before and after pictures in this post and I'll put pointers in the other posts.

I don't have any pictures of me at my top weight. I do have a VHS tape of me doing standup comedy at close to my top weight. This was a couple of nights after Ralphie May introduced me at the Laff Stop in Houston and then, when I got off stage, he spent 3 minutes riffing on how fat I was. Imagine Ralphie May opening his transition, talking about me, and beginning with "And I thought I was fat!!"

Yeah, that's how big I was. I suppose if I ever get that VHS tape digitized, I could post a frame here but I really don't want to see it again.

Here I was at ~380 pounds, on a plane. That particular camera and angle made me look much worse than I did when seen in person. Trust me on that; it was a wide angle shot, up close, and pointed down. That combination will make anyone look more squatty than they actually are.

Screenshot_20210816-145747.png

Here's a video of me at ~330 pounds.

Here's a couple of still photos of me at ~330 pounds. I really owe that trainer my life. She treated me with respect and encouragement, far more so than my doctors or anyone else who had been in a position to help me.

Thanks, Tyler. I'll never forget you.

gray.jpg

red.jpg

Me today, at 245 pounds.

thumbnail.jpeg

Maybe it's my screwed-up ability to perceive my own state of being, but I don't see much difference between 330 and 245. A bit, but not much.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    OK, this is gross, but as long as we're being honest...

My ass has lost so much that it no longer fills my skin. It's just a big flap of folded-over skin where the bottom of my butt cheeks used to be. When I sit, I'm sitting on folded skin unless I'm at home with less clothes on and can make adjustments. Out in public, where I don't want to be fishing around with my hand on my backside inside my pants, I have to look for deeply padded seats. Sitting on a hard bench is torture.

IOW, you're soooo right about the skin that sticks around. Damnitalltohell.
    TMI day at TGT so....

I was getting in the shower and my wife said I've filled up the small ammount of loose skin I had back there with muscle.

I didnt have very much there. I have it in other places. I guess it's not as bad as I've seen but its annoying.

Oh well it's better than dying of a heart attack or slowly from kidney disease.

What I fear is this window of slightly better mobility with the meds will close. I cant do much and have to take pain meds and use walking stick half the time. Shit, and I've started falling again cause my legs arent working like they were and pain levels are going up. The cycle always happens after a surgery or proceedure but I fear terribly getting back to were I was. I know it will happen to some extent but I'm gonna fight it as long as I can get the pain meds to do it.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Consolidating my before and after pictures in this post and I'll put pointers in the other posts.

I don't have any pictures of me at my top weight. I do have a VHS tape of me doing standup comedy at close to my top weight. This was a couple of nights after Ralphie May introduced me at the Laff Stop in Houston and then, when I got off stage, he spent 3 minutes riffing on how fat I was. Imagine Ralphie May opening his transition, talking about me, and beginning with "And I thought I was fat!!"

Yeah, that's how big I was. I suppose if I ever get that VHS tape digitized, I could post a frame here but I really don't want to see it again.

Here I was at 380 pounds, on a plane. That particular camera and angle made me look much worse that I did when seen in person. Trust me on that; it was a wide angle shot, up close, and pointed down. That combination will make anyone look more squatty than they actually are.

View attachment 325092

Here's a couple of shots of me at ~330 pounds. I really owe that trainer my life. She treated me with respect and encouragement, far more so than my doctors or anyone else who had been in a position to help me.

View attachment 325093

View attachment 325094

Me today, at 245 pounds.

View attachment 325095

Maybe it's my screwed-up ability to perceive my own state of being, but I don't see much difference between 330 and 245. A bit, but not much.
    Theres a huge difference.

Outstanding.

Losing weight is harder than quitting crack for most folks cause it's such a complicated and drawn out process.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I am fixing to embark on the Keto diet for my health issues. I was diagnosed with having high cholesterol, and pre-diabetic last week. Doctor prescribed a statin for the cholesterol, and a diet change. Bad part is, even after just five days on the statins, I was already feeling the side-effects. soreness and weakness in my legs and arms, anxiety and very irritable. A shout out to @vmax for pointing me towards the videos about cholesterol, diabetes and statins. Was very informative and helpful. Thank you kind sir for the help.

So I informed the doctor's office about the prescription, per the pharmicist's instructions about the prescription, and they said they would look into another prescription for me. I'm going to get a glucose monitoring device today, and try out the Keto diet and skip using a prescription for my medical issues at this time.
    Apologies to Ben for keeping his thread off topic. But, after my heart rate episode, my cardiologist wanted to work on my cholesterol. It was only 103 (100 is supposed to be tops) and he said he'd like it to be around 70 or so. All my other doctors always said it was a tad high but it was OK.
    My cardiologist prescribed me a statin. After 3 days, I had horrible soreness across my shoulders and from my hips to my knees in both legs. I stopped taking them.
    I walk a mile most every morning, eat much better than before, and have cut back drastically on sweets. Sweets are my downfall. I have been working on it and have done pretty good. I weigh 230-235 and would like to get to 200.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    OK, this is gross, but as long as we're being honest...

My ass has lost so much that it no longer fills my skin. It's just a big flap of folded-over skin where the bottom of my butt cheeks used to be. When I sit, I'm sitting on folded skin unless I'm at home with less clothes on and can make adjustments. Out in public, where I don't want to be fishing around with my hand on my backside inside my pants, I have to look for deeply padded seats. Sitting on a hard bench is torture.

IOW, you're soooo right about the skin that sticks around. Damnitalltohell.
    I’ve known a couple people who lost 100+ who got that extra skin removed.

And Ben, it looks like your waist reduced by 6-10” to me. Great job man. You look great. I’m at 245 right now. You look great man. Great job.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Apologies to Ben for keeping his thread off topic. But, after my heart rate episode, my cardiologist wanted to work on my cholesterol. It was only 103 (100 is supposed to be tops) and he said he'd like it to be around 70 or so. All my other doctors always said it was a tad high but it was OK.
    My cardiologist prescribed me a statin. After 3 days, I had horrible soreness across my shoulders and from my hips to my knees in both legs. I stopped taking them.
    I walk a mile most every morning, eat much better than before, and have cut back drastically on sweets. Sweets are my downfall. I have been working on it and have done pretty good. I weigh 230-235 and would like to get to 200.
    I have never really been "over-weight" by any stretch. Last time I weighed at the doctor's office, I was at about 175. To be honest though, since hitting middle-age, I have gotten a bit of a gut on me, that I'd really like to lose.

I think some of my work career and lifestyle might have kept me from having much worse health issues. I have always been active at work, and in my off time from work. (Work hard, and play hard was my motto!)

I think other health issues and retirement are probably costing me now. I guess I can't eat and drink like I did at 30 and working 60 to 80 hours a week.

I'm not going to piss and moan about it. It is what it is. Even if I died tomorrow, I have had a good life and made some great memories along the way. I have accepted that to live a longer life I have to make changes and become more healthy.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I take an injectable diabetes medicine that remind me of insulin in that I have to keep it cold and take it on schedule. Maybe that's what we discussed. I don't remember. Otherwise, no harm no foul.
    Probably semeglutide. Ive heard really good results with it. There is a new one coming out that is suppose to be even better for weight loss. The big issue is the $$$.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Apologies for the same reason. Just wanted to say: Ugh. Statins.
    My dad is now in his mid 80s. A couple years ago he went through a rough period. He had always been active, walking a couple miles every day . Suddenly he stopped. Would just sit for hours staring ahead. A wise family doc determined it was the statins and took him off. Now doing much better . The difference was astounding. Both on and then off.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Probably semeglutide. Ive heard really good results with it.
    Yes. I took Victoza which was good. Then I moved to Ozempic which was better.
    There is a new one coming out that is suppose to be even better for weight loss.
    Two days from now, I start the newer version of Ozempic which is twice the strength previously available.

I credit those drugs with reducing my appetite enough for me to finally begin to lose the weight where I am now, which is much closer to normal weight. Back when I weighed 650 pounds, losing a lot was easy since each pound was such a small change. Ever since ~330 pounds, weight loss has been much, much harder. Those drugs have been a miracle for me.
    The big issue is the $$$.
    At over $1200/month at retail, yeah, cost is a problem. Luckily for me, between my insurance and the diligent efforts of my endocrinologist's office to track down the best mail-order pharmacy, the stuff is only costing me $25/month.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My doctor suggested getting one to monitor the levels. And I think it will give me a greater insight into what foods are doing what.

I am going "cold turkey" on the Mtn. Dew though. For many years, I have had at least a two liter a day of not more habit of Mtn. Dew.
    I went to Diet Mt. Dew with no problem. Keto took me from 265 to 175. Kept in under 30 carbs. Eat a lot of eggs, avocados and chicken. Never experienced any bowel problems. Last blood work sugars were 84. Only eat potatoes on my BD. Will eat occasional slice of toast. Drinking a diet dew as I type. I almost forgot. I eat usually by 6:30 in the winter and 8:00 in the summer. Start eating the next day between 1:00 to 2:00. Don’t eat at all until Supper if I’m not hungry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom