• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Any suggestions? Through a Springfield GI 1911.

I've seen speer 200 gr +p hollowpoints that have good energy upon impact, and I've seen the Winchester rangers, which apparently the same as the black talons. I'm looking on cheaperthandirt BTW.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Whatever your gun likes to eat. Find some Federal HST online, the price is usually pretty good for top-shelf HP, and their performance is really good.

Is that barrel throated? If not, it might not like hollow points.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T.

Winchester PDX do really well through barriers like auto glass and are pretty cheap also since they are bonded. I use HSTs, never had a problem and the rounds I've recovered are pushing 0.65" in diameter and do pretty well (in 9mm).

In a 1911 frame, I would choose something that cycles flawlessly after 20 - 30 rounds of it. It's costly, but you can get a 50 round box from GT's for cheap.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Yep, I will be testing them to see if they cycle. I'm leaning towards either the speer or the rangers. I know the rangers are very similar to the black talons.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Black talons are no longer made because of publicity BS, but the ones out there are being sold at a premium. = Waste of money

Too many good choices out there. I really like HST's.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Im suprised no ones suggested Hornady Critical Defense. Theyre harder than hell to find but theyre the only round ill use in my defensive pistols.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I use plain old WWB FMJ for hogs. Kills 'em pretty dead.

I use Hydrashock for SD ammo, primarily because I know it runs flawlessly in my 3" 1911. I've heard a lot about HSTs and am probably going to give those a shot. Whatever you get just make sure it runs good. If it doesn't go boom in your gun it doesn't matter how pretty it expands in the pictures.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm another that uses 2230Gr Hydra Shoks. Cycles in both my Para P12 and my AMT 45 BUG. There might be newer and better out there, but my pistols go bang every time I pull the trigger. Never had a round not cycle in either.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm another that uses 2230Gr Hydra Shoks. Cycles in both my Para P12 and my AMT 45 BUG. There might be newer and better out there, but my pistols go Baaaaaaang every time I pull the trigger. Never had a round not cycle in either.

Thanks for the onomatopoeia, Cap'n.

My, that's a big one

He has Jax hands.

Jax12.png

OKAY in all seriousness. I like the suggestions. I will further read about the brands that caught my eye in this thread. The PDX-1's and the Hydrashocks. Still want to read more about those rangers. That opened hollow point looks nasty, but like Mexican_hippie said, if it doesn't work in my gun it doesn't matter lol.

And yep, Texas42, I know about the black talons. I was saying how the ranger's are similar to the black talons lol.

image002.jpg

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm a heavy bullet guy. Federal HST 230 is my preference. If you can't find them. Hydra-shok are good as well as Gold Dots. The rap on Hydra-shok is they say they tend to clog and not expand when shot through heavy winter clothing. Meh, it's still 230 going around 1000 FPS. I don't want to be in the way even with a winter coat.

Top Bottom