• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    I recently picked up a box of Hornady 185gr FTX. I haven't shot them through my Kimber yet and am curious to see how they do, but here is a link to their page.
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Auto :: 45 Auto 185 gr Critical Defense®

I recently picked up a box myself for my 3inch Kimber CDP II. I like the "selling points" of this round, but part of me is skeptical since the design is only a few years old and hasn't withstood the test of time. I hope Hornady isn't becoming the "Taylormade" of firearm rounds. If you know anything about golf, every year Taylormade comes out with something new they claim will "revolutionize the industry" and then it disappears a year later to make way for something newer, "better", and more highly engineered. It's hype, it's marketing...it's crap.

I hope these critical defense rounds actually perform and function in my ccw....we shall see.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn't get hung up on what bullet to use... Just get whatever feeds reliably in your pistol. I'm not too big on +P rounds either. More recoil means follow up shots are slower.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I'm a heavy bullet guy. Federal HST 230 is my preference. If you can't find them. Hydra-shok are good as well as Gold Dots. The rap on Hydra-shok is they say they tend to clog and not expand when shot through heavy winter clothing. Meh, it's still 230 going around 1000 FPS. I don't want to be in the way even with a winter coat.
    Gun was designed and used 230gr ball through many a military guys career. Did the job then, still does the job. If you have Hydra-shok and they do not expand, they are still carrying the same weight and velocity as a ball round... Which I believe would be sufficient for the task at hand.

Besides, there is a big difference between a heavy winter coat in Texas and one in say North Dakota.

Top Bottom