4wd/AWD in Texas

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Why? First...yes i get that in 'Merica we can buy what we want whether we need it or not. Buy a Corvette and make your commute more fun, tear up the track on the weekend or whatever. Buy a 4wd and get crappy mileage, worse handling and come on...way more guys push their Corvettes abilities than 4wd owners do. So its all image and big boy toys if you arent using it for work or really taking it off road.

Even Subarus i dont get here. It doesnt snow. This isnt Colorado.

*anyone who needs it like in construction, oil or ranching and farming exempt.

**Yes i have owned trucks including a 4wd in the midwest where it you know...like actually snows.

Dont run me over in your lifted 4x4 with huge steel bumpers while im zipping around in my small car...K? Thanks!

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
Feb 14, 2013
Borger, TX
What do you mean why? Have you never been in an open field that has been saturated after a rain? It does rain here in Texas. Good luck getting your 2WD vehicle out. Just a few days ago I drove off-road in to some shallow mud and I would have been calling a friend to get out if my Dodge didn't have it.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2009
Flower Mound
Because i'd run up a huge tow truck bill? I use mine at least twice a week. My wife doesn't have or use it. That the category you fall into? ;)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
So far you guys are 0/2. You are really using them.

Let me expand. I see lifted 4wds all the time around here without a scratch on the body or the fancy rims. Also...lots of rich women running all over from store to store in Suburbans and Lexus SUVs. Why?

This isnt a jealousy thing. If you got the money go buy a Ferrari or Mercedes.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
Jul 10, 2013
mckinney
Bigger is better. Bigger vehicles are much safer than small dinky cars of any type. Plus for some I'm sure it is a status symbol

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
Feb 14, 2013
Borger, TX
Trucks arent that safe. Especially after you lift them.
Trucks aren't safe? I sincerely hope you're not serious. I would much rather be in my Dodge 1500 than some dinky plastic toyota camry or chevy malibu. More mass = more momentum. Therefore, a small vehicle and a large vehicle colliding would result in the small car being destroyed with less damage to the truck. Also, why wouldn't you have 4x4 if you had the option, even if you never use it? My philosophy for these commodities is the same as the need for a firearm. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
Feb 14, 2013
Borger, TX

Notice the difference in the damage. The front end of the Ford has plenty of space between bumper and driver position. The civic's engine compartment is completely pressed in. You'd never catch me dead in a small car.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
Jul 10, 2013
mckinney
Lifting trucks can make them unsafe. I have never owned a lifted truck and probably never will. I have owned a 4wd dodge, loved it. Always wanted one and had the chance so i did. At the time i had a company truck so it sat most of the time. Didn't use the 4wd very often, but when i did i really needed it. I guess it comes down to preference. But also in a crash with another car, the bigger vehicle usually is safer .
I drive a truck (Toyota Tundra), i like driving trucks , they sit up higher and can see farther down the road, or over the little cars. Plus i keeptools in mine and also for haul whatever i need to when i need to .

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Ill have to post some crash ratings tomorrow. (perhaps im wrong, i havent shopped for a truck in a few years) Of course all other things being equal more mass wins. But even that is a gross enterprise. We should all drive F350 crew cabs to be safe? That doesnt seem very reasonable.

Top Bottom