• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I read an article a while back that advocated that viewpoint. Basically, it proposed that new users should get a cheap Del-Ton or equivalent, run 5000 rounds through it including at least a couple of basic carbine classes, and then sit down with a clean sheet of paper and spec out what you want. The idea was that until you've had some experience, you don't know what you want.

Then sell the cheap rifle and get the one that you'll keep for a long, long time.

Anybody follow that route?

That's exactly what I did and now I have a sub moa gun that cost me 1200 bucks before covid that weighs less than 6 pounds.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Heck of a time to get into ARs, good on you for finally getting there though.

Look into B5 Systems P23 pistol grip. My all time favorite grip, I prefer the angle of that over any other on the market.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Precciate all the advice guys. Pulled the trigger on an M&P Sport II. Reviews were great, price was great, household name, and as another plus, they didn’t sell out to the government (I was almost sold on the Saint)! Seems like a solid place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll be happy with it.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Precciate all the advice guys. Pulled the trigger on an M&P Sport II. Reviews were great, price was great, household name, and as another plus, they didn’t sell out to the government (I was almost sold on the Saint)! Seems like a solid place to start.

You won't be disappointed, it's a fine rifle. As with most things, there are diminishing margins of returns on increase in performance, decrease in weight, and other things when spending more money on ARs. I have a 300 something dollar PSA that I built as my truck gun and while I have a custom AR I spent about 1200 bucks on, I'm just as happy with the PSA. It will clang steel at 1 and 200 yards all day with iron sights.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

That’s a good call. I’m not familiar with the “Sport II”, but the originals were solid enough guns.

Keep it well lubricated (especially the BCG), get a decent optic, and enjoy shooting it.

As far as optics go, hard to beat the Vortex Sparc II for the money.

The Cabelas AR scope line is also a solid value if looking for a low power variable optic. Stick with a 1-4/6. Avoid the 3-9/12’s.

Take care

slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx
    That’s a good call. I’m not familiar with the “Sport II”, but the originals were solid enough guns.

Keep it well lubricated (especially the BCG), get a decent optic, and enjoy shooting it.

As far as optics go, hard to beat the Vortex Sparc II for the money.

The Cabelas AR scope line is also a solid value if looking for a low power variable optic. Stick with a 1-4/6. Avoid the 3-9/12’s.

Take care
    Great advice, sir! I'm already eyeing the sparc II ;-)

Dr P

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Dallas
    For a $1000 budget, build two. Buy two 80% lowers and make your own - one carbine, one pistol. Ammo is the key factor in making them run smooth.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    For a $1000 budget, build two. Buy two 80% lowers and make your own - one carbine, one pistol. Ammo is the key factor in making them run smooth.

I personally believe this isn’t sound advice. New AR buyer’s should buy a decent gun from a reputable manufacturer first.

If they want to learn and build one later, fine. But many folks just find parts and build as cheaply as possible without regard to matching the components together. Adding an 80% lower compounds the things that can go wrong.

I’ve seen way too many people at the range fiddle fricking around with guns that can’t cycle properly. They had no clue if it was a gas tube issue...a buffer issue...or what else. One guy swore it was his ammo...he said he needed 5.56 and the .223 he had sucked. I traded him 10 rounds of Federal 5.56 mil spec for 10 of his American Eagle .223 and his gun still failed to function right. Then, to prove the point, I shot the ten rounds he gave me as fast as my trigger finger would go without any issues.

And then there is the issue of resale. Few buyers who have a clue will buy a home made “Frankenstein-gun”. I know I won’t. Not worth my time or effort to take the chance on an unknown builder.

AR’s are not hard to build, but there is a right way and a half ass way. There are cheap parts and there are quality parts. Some parts can be cheap and fine, while others will cause issues.

And to the point that “ammo is the key to making them run right”, I just shake my head. Do you really want a combat and home defense gun that is “ammo finicky”? I sure don’t. I want and expect every AR I own to run a thousand rounds without fail while filthy dirty (while properly lubed) with Tula steel case crap rounds.

The real key to making your AR run right is to properly match the gas and feeding system.

Just my $0.02 you got for free on an Internet gun board.

Last edited:

Dr P

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Dallas
    I personally believe this isn’t sound advice. New AR buyer’s should buy a decent gun from a reputable manufacturer first.

If they want to learn and build one later, fine. But many folks just find parts and build as cheaply as possible without regard to matching the components together. Adding an 80% lower compounds the things that can go wrong.

I’ve seen way too many people at the range fiddle fricking around with guns that can’t cycle properly. They had no clue if it was a gas tube issue...a buffer issue...or what else. One guy swore it was his ammo...he said he needed 5.56 and the .223 he had sucked. I traded him 10 rounds of Federal 5.56 mil spec for 10 of his American Eagle .223 and his gun still failed to function right. Then, to prove the point, I shot the ten rounds he gave me as fast as my trigger finger would go without any issues.

And then there is the issue of resale. Few buyers who have a clue will buy a home made “Frankenstein-gun”. I know I won’t. Not worth my time or effort to take the chance on an unknown builder.

AR’s are not hard to build, but there is a right way and a half ass way. There are cheap parts and there are quality parts. Some parts can be cheap and fine, while others will cause issues.

And to the point that “ammo is the key to making them run right”, I just shake my head. Do you really want a combat and home defense gun that is “ammo finicky”? I sure don’t. I want and expect every AR I own to run a thousand rounds without fail while filthy dirty (while properly lubed) with Tula steel case crap rounds.

The real key to making your AR run right is to properly match the gas and feeding system.

Excellent points. I have seen likewise problems with reputable manufacture guns, not sure why. Also it is illegal to sell or buy a completed 80% lower build. It is for personal use only.
    He should buy a Ruger.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Excellent points. I have seen likewise problems with reputable manufacture guns, not sure why. Also it is illegal to sell or buy a completed 80% lower build. It is for personal use only.
    He should buy a Ruger.
    Your statement regarding the selling/buying of a completed 80% lower is FUDD!
    Here's a little reading for you:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    He should buy a Ruger.

Any firearm can have issues. But a manufacturer will provide customer support and a warranty. Hard to do that with a gun made from different parts unless you can ID the specific part causing issues...something that may be beyond a new AR owner/builder.

My point on selling wasn’t regarding legality, although that point was clarified. Rather, it was based on the idea that a home built gun by a new builder would be hard to sell to a knowledgeable buyer (unless the buyer bought it for parts..)

OP stated they bought a S&W M&P Sport, same general class as the Ruger AR556

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have a few ARs ranging from relatively cheap home builds to high end customs. I don’t give a flip what anyone says, based on my personal experience there is a difference.

My home built one using Anderson upper/lower is no where as smooth, reliable or accurate as my Noveske SBR. My Colts fall somewhere in the middle but are dead nuts reliable.

I haven’t bought a factory rifle in forever because I always end up spending several hundred more $$ swapping out parts, so now I just buy all the good parts and put it all together. Now that I think about it I only have Colt and Noveske factory rifles, the rest are home built with premium parts. The Anderson build still has a BCM barrel and BCG so it shoots well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've been looking for a good an somewhat inexpensive AR for some time now and I've hit the point of information overload. From PSA and Radical to Diamondback and Spikes, I hear a lot of good things, some bad things, and ultimately have a hard time figuring where I should land. Of course, Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Springfield are all household names and I hear nothing but great things about Anderson as well. Ultimately, I want it as close to milspec as is appropriate and for a good price if it doesn't have a plethora of upgraded furniture. Main use is home defense, range toy, and all around general purpose on the ranch. Budget is around $1000, preferably under.

Anybody got an opinion? Thanks ahead.

I have a variety of AR15 rifles from rack grade to premium quality and find Colt AR15’s to be a good value.

slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx

This was ultimately where I landed as well. I want to build one, but I am just not experienced enough to feel comfortable picking those parts out and I wanted to be sure I had something I could rely on (and at very least call the manufacturer about if I had any issues) before I step into custom builds. I think the M&P-15 is a great starting point to build that experience and start figuring out what I like / don't like.

I have a variety of AR15 rifles from rack grade to premium quality and find Colt AR15’s to be a good value.

I reallllly wanted the Colt. But it was also about $400 more than the M&P. Probably shouldn't have been that much more expensive but the damn things are selling like hot cakes right now.

slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx
    He should buy a Ruger.
    Ruger, M&P.. seems like 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other. I couldn't find anything outside of personal opinion and the occasional anecdotal situation. The M&P was $100 cheaper.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    Katy, TX

Good choice. Now get an upper in 350 legend!

Top Bottom